Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:49 AM
Approved Member

Default AI gunnery

Ace - can shoot through the hole of holy dollar at 5 miles
Veteran - retarded, not sure what planet it's on
Normal - Blind & retarded
Novice - dead

Well that's the impression i'm getting anyway .. on the above scale, i must be "super veteran" - retarded but still able to get a few shells on the target.

Anyone else get this impression?

.....--oOo-- --oOo-- HE-111 --oOo-- --oOo--.....
========================================
-oOo- Intel i7-2600K (non-clocked) -oOo- GA-P67A
-oOo- DF 85 full tower -oOo- 1000W corsair
-oOo- 8 GB 1600Hz -oOo- 2 x GTX 580 1.5M (295.73)
-oOo- 240 SSD -oOo- W7 64bit
-oOo- PB2700 LED 2560 x 1440 6ms 60Hz -oOo-
Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Approved Member

Well for what I played this game, when I get on dornier's six with a hurri, I can just sit there and shoot all along (I cannot tell you the difficulty of the AI's because I was playing the campaign).
However I just sit there, shot down around 5 enemy dornier's, get out of ammo and return home. I did the same mission something like 5 times and all the times I destroyed around 5 planes.
On all of those sorties I was sitting on the dorniers six at close range, with no deflection or anything, the dorniers just managed to hit just a few times, and the worst damage I had was a scratch on engine oil system, what made me lose some oil with time, anyway's I still did my way back home, safe and sound.

Sitting on a bomber's six it's like being a sitting duck for rear gunners if I'm not wrong. Anyway's I don't have any historical knowledge to make any kinda of statement, but to me it doesn't seem's much realistic.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems9 View Post
Well for what I played this game, when I get on dornier's six with a hurri, I can just sit there and shoot all along (I cannot tell you the difficulty of the AI's because I was playing the campaign).
However I just sit there, shot down around 5 enemy dornier's, get out of ammo and return home. I did the same mission something like 5 times and all the times I destroyed around 5 planes.
On all of those sorties I was sitting on the dorniers six at close range, with no deflection or anything, the dorniers just managed to hit just a few times, and the worst damage I had was a scratch on engine oil system, what made me lose some oil with time, anyway's I still did my way back home, safe and sound.

Sitting on a bomber's six it's like being a sitting duck for rear gunners if I'm not wrong. Anyway's I don't have any historical knowledge to make any kinda of statement, but to me it doesn't seem's much realistic.
and yet if you play a similar mission, as a rear gunner for a JU88, just see how quickly you can get a beed on any attacking fighter. Your gun might jump like a bronco when you fire and constant changing of ammo cartridges might be a major negative BUT at least some / most shells should go near the intended target.

It seems online fighter boys complained about the accuracy of bomber gunners early on in IL2's life, since then gunners have been retarded ... very sad.

How it should work;

Ace - many missions, understands deflection firing, saving ammo, crack shot (cold)
Veteran - a few missions, understands deflection firing, good shot (calm)
Normal - 1 mission, vaguely understands deflection fire, wastes ammo at long range, average shot (heart pumping)
Novice - no missions, doesn't understand deflection fire, wastes ammo at long range, poor shot (stressed - nervous)

The first 3 should get shells close to the target @ close range.

.....--oOo-- --oOo-- HE-111 --oOo-- --oOo--.....
-oOo- Intel i7-2600K (non-clocked) -oOo- GA-P67A
-oOo- DF 85 full tower -oOo- 1000W corsair
-oOo- 8 GB 1600Hz -oOo- 2 x GTX 580 1.5M (295.73)
-oOo- 240 SSD -oOo- W7 64bit
-oOo- PB2700 LED 2560 x 1440 6ms 60Hz -oOo-

Last edited by He111; 06-14-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by He111 View Post

How it should work;

Ace - many missions, understands deflection firing, saving ammo, crack shot (cold)
Veteran - a few missions, understands deflection firing, good shot (calm)
Normal - 1 mission, vaguely understands deflection fire, wastes ammo at long range, average shot (heart pumping)
Novice - no missions, doesn't understand deflection fire, wastes ammo at long range, poor shot (stressed - nervous)

The first 3 should get shells close to the target @ close range.

+1
Old 06-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Novice - dead

Well that's the impression i'm getting anyway .. on the above scale, i must be "super veteran" - retarded but still able to get a few shells on the target.

I agree. I think the ACE level AI gunners are a bit too accurate (I've taken hits to the engine 1km away from some HE-111s). But all the other gunners too useless, one can get right up behind a flight of 5 and site there without too much fear. Maybe a less drastic skill curve would be more suitable....
Old 06-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Novice - dead

How about when AI fighters fire 10 second bursts. Have you seen that one? AI in general is blind, retarded and dead becuse the developer responsible for AI is a novice.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Approved Member

Agreed, the gunners are either drunk or Terminators
Old 06-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Approved Member

Just remember that historically individual bombers defensive fire was inefective to say the least, only becoming a threat when grouped together in large formations with hundreds of gunners. Even then bombers still got slaughtered.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Approved Member

+1, also there is a thread about tweeking the AI and someone has tweeked the campaign missions also...

Best thing to do is get online! then you have a challenge on an equal playing field!
Old 06-15-2012, 06:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5./JG27.Farber View Post
+1, also there is a thread about tweeking the AI and someone has tweeked the campaign missions also...

Best thing to do is get online! then you have a challenge on an equal playing field!
Despite much effort from everyone here tweaking away in trial and error, there is hardly any improvement at all. Still the f16 barrel rolls, the weird bomber gunners who are either super accurate or not even in the ballpark...