Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 04-18-2012, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

Default setting prop pitch on hotas

Hello all, I would like to set my prop pitch on my hotas warthog and was wondering how to do it, do I go in to the keyboard area for prop pitch or the axis section to do this? also do you set if on your stick for simply fine and course or for increase/decrease prop pitch?

Thanks all it has been a long time since I set my stick up, does anyone know of any or have a hotas warthog profile for stick and keyboard they can share?
Old 04-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black1 View Post
Hello all, I would like to set my prop pitch on my hotas warthog and was wondering how to do it, do I go in to the keyboard area for prop pitch or the axis section to do this?
Not sure about the Hotas Warthog but I had to go into keyboard to set my prop pitch to the hat switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black1 View Post
also do you set if on your stick for simply fine and course or for increase/decrease prop pitch?
Not 100% sure as I only fly a 109 but.... Spits and Hurris only have 2 pitch settings (Course & Fine) and 109s would need the "Increase/Decrease" so it depends what side and plane you are flying.

Hope that was helpful
Old 04-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Approved Member

Hi Black1,

Everyone has his own system, obviously, and how they prefer to set it up. Because I fly the Hurricane Rotol and the Spitfire Ia and IIa (which all have constant speed props) I have the two Warthog levers assigned each to throttle and prop pitch.

You can fly these three fighters exactly as the RAF pilots did. You use throttle to control boost, prop pitch to control rpms.

Example: on take off push prop pitch forward to fully fine position, then advance throttle to full for your take off roll. (your boost will be 6.25", rpms 3100)

Lift off at 80 mph, bring wheels up, then pull your PROP PITCH lever back to reduce your rpms to 2650 (leave your throttle full open = 6.25" boost for your climb). Adjust your elevator trim to give you a steady 160 mph climb at these engine settings. Close your radiator to half open. Your indicated speed will gradually decrease with altitude, just maintain these engine settings for your climb.

Once you've reached your desired altitude, level off, then adjust your engine settings to cruise. You can use your throttle to adjust your boost (which begins to decrease above 10, 000 feet anyway) down to 1 to 3 lbs, and use your prop pitch to adjust your rpms from 1700 to 2200 rpms to give you your desired cruise speed.

Top level speed is achieved at full throttle and prop pitch set to 2500 rpms.

Good luck!
Old 04-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

I am sorry I should have been clearer, when I go to the control/plane section and look at prop pitch there are several, fine pitch, 10%,20%,increase,decrease...etc...which button do most use for spit and 109, hope this is better, thanks for the info you both posted though.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Approved Member

Aaaarrrggghhhh!!!!

You have twin throttle levers on your Warthog and you're assigning prop pitch to......a....a......BUTTON????? HERESY, I SAY!!!!!!

Just kidding! LOL

Speaking for RAF fighters, I don't know what would be the better choice of buttons for prop pitch. The AXIS controls of the Warthog working with the AXIS controls in the Controls Menu give you such precise control of throttle and prop pitch, especially in combat, it's hard to imagine why anyone would willingly relinquish that.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

I got it working...lol...yes sacrilegious I suppose. I assigned it to my left most throttle on my hotas, BUT, had to use the keyboard button labled "prop pitch", that is were I was going wrong, thanks for the help.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Approved Member

Hey, if you've got it working and it feels right for you -- that's all that matters.

Although I've pretty much got things laid out on my HOTAS as I like it, it's always an evolving thing. I won't hesitate to change lever, switch or button assignments if I think it will help me. I use the TARGET software which is pretty straightforward (once I figured it out, that is ).

Hope to see yo on the ATAG Server sometime. Be sure to download and install Teamspeak 3; it really adds to the immersion. Plus we're a friendly bunch -- both Red and Blue, so don't hesitate to intro yourself and fly with a few guys.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Approved Member

For 109 is more practical assign a HAT (in throttle) to control PP than axis - like as RL - since 109 PP are by return to center lever, on painel or in throttle in late models.

Sokol1
Old 04-19-2012, 01:37 AM
Registered Member

Snapper could you send me the TS3 address and password info, I will then get on TS3 and fly with you all, thanks.