Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 03-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Approved Member

Default navigating problems with BOB

hey guys!
i started a dogfight above the channel.after i shot down 6 hurries, i tried to make it to an airfield.but using the compass is really confusing.
my impression is that its not working properly.if i make a right turn, the degrees are decreasing, while it sould be the opposite.besides its really hard to hold course, or better said impossible.the smallest movement results in a heavy reaction on the compass.anybody can confirm this?is this a bug?or is it the way the instrument behaved in reality?if it is as it should be, how can one navigate?
Old 03-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Approved Member

You can always look at the time and the position of the sun

Isn't there an option for the HUD like we have in IL2? With the HUD compass you can compare the values of the real compass.

And maybe there is an option in the comms menu for requesting the vector to homebase ... but I can imagine that in russian it might be a problem to find it.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David198502 View Post
hey guys!
i started a dogfight above the channel.after i shot down 6 hurries, i tried to make it to an airfield.but using the compass is really confusing.
my impression is that its not working properly.if i make a right turn, the degrees are decreasing, while it sould be the opposite.besides its really hard to hold course, or better said impossible.the smallest movement results in a heavy reaction on the compass.anybody can confirm this?is this a bug?or is it the way the instrument behaved in reality?if it is as it should be, how can one navigate?
Yes that is very much what happens in real life too with compasses! you should only read the compass when flying straight and level
Old 03-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Approved Member

It is magnetic dip. If you want to avoid its effects, you need to fly with wings level and with no change in speed. If you are turning or changing speed, compass will lie.

Basically, in this part of the world (BoB map, I mean), needle will turn towards North if speed is increasing, and towards South, if speed is decreasing. Also, needle will lag behind actual direction while turning from south to West (or vice versa) through North, and will lead actual direction while turning through South.

In addition, there are bank and pitch limits, so don't look at compass while in break turn.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Approved Member

Gets out GPS
Old 03-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Approved Member

thx for the answers!i knew that you shouldnt trust the compass while in a dogfight, but its really hard to read it even in level flight!
Old 03-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Approved Member

http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/downloa...%20Compass.pdf

might give you some insight into the raf p type compass

sounds like Oleg finally has got this right after all these years
Old 03-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
hey guys!
This is how a real "whiskey" compass operates (that is, a compass that's suspended in liquid). It reacts to every single force of acceleration and takes time to stabilize. I saw it in a video on youtube and i really liked it, i like the attention to all instrument details in general.

But yes, it's definitely realistic. In order to be able to navigate with it you'll have to fly straight and level and let it settle down a bit first.

This is also the reason why many aircraft have a secondary gyroscopic compass (i think you can find one in the panel of the 110 and definitely in bombers like the He-111). That one is more accurate but it tends to "drift" over time. Similar systems exist on civilian aircraft today.

The way a real pilot would do it is take look at the whiskey compass before take-off, when the aircraft is stationary and everything is stable. So, if your whiskey compass says 60 degrees heading, you turn a small button on your gyro compass so that it also shows 60 degrees. Then you use the gyro compass for the rest of the flight, just make sure to re-align it with the whiskey compass from time to time whenever you are flying steady, straight and level to get rid of the gyroscopic "drift".

To get an idea of how this works in practice, try flying the 111 and see if there are any buttons you can manipulate with the clickable cockpit interface on the gyro compass (to switch the clickable interface on/off i think you have to press F10).

I hope this helps.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Approved Member

Sure true, my flying career IRL started in a Bergfalke II/55 built in 1959 before the GPS era with instruments that looked like they where taken from scrapped 109:s Behaved just that way - while turning they go nuts... Go on straight course a while and they wobble to a stable state
Old 03-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
hey guys!
Hi check out the following link.

http://www.localnetnet.be/comp.teach...ATION%20FAULT:

Niels