Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:01 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFamilyMan View Post
So I take back most of my original posts. You can have a "wii 6DOF" which will make a sim/game seem like it exists within a realm beyond a window that your monitor has become (got to consider item 3 above may be a 'serious' limitation). But, when I'm in the cockpit of my F-6, I want to think that I'm actually in and surrounded by the aircraft (for which my TIR helps greatly), rather than feel like I'm sitting in front of my computer interacting with a F-6 through a window that just happens to be my monitor. The earlier comment I made about TIR and FSX that still stands: when in a cessina, as you lean over to look out the side window (of the aircraft, that is), the landscape opens up as you approach the window, just like in the wii demo. If you want a really cool 3D effect with your TIR that is available now, just get a 3 meter projector system to replace your monitor. You'll be barfing up dinner in no time (or at least someone else watching will). Enjoy!
almost there, but no cigar yet

the primary aim of implementing "Wii 6DOF" in il2/BoB, is because it would correct a major error which currently exists in the way the virtual world we fly in is being displayed in a 7 year old game.

many people that watched the johny lee video get distracted by the game objects that seem to be floating in front of the screen, leave that aside for a moment and only look at what happens to the in-game world that you can see on the screen that johny lee is looking at. you will notice that ...
1) the buildings/people/aircraft on his gaming display do not change in size as the player leans/moves forward
2) when the player moves forward he is closer to the display screen, and the display screen therefore now occupies a larger part of his field of view, and accordingly the FoV widens and he can now see more of the in-game world (exactly as happens when in real life you walk closer to a window in your house)

that is the heart of the argument and what makes implementing this type of view system in il2/BoB so much better then what we have now (and which probably again will be implemented in BoB, because that is how most current games are designed).

right now with 6Dof in il2 people seem happy because they can move their head around in the cockpit and they get a less obstructed view out of the cockpit, but ....
- when your virtual pilot leans his head forward right now not only do the cockpit objects get closer and larger (which is normal), but also the external-to-the-plane-objects get larger and this is totally incorrect. for example if you are chasing a me109 at 200 meters and have him in your gunsight, by leaning forward in the cockpit and reducing your distance to the monitor by half (say from 60 to 30 cm), then the me109 has suddenly doubled in size ! (because if you half the distance to the viewed object, it now takes up 2x more of your FoV, and the object size being displayed on your screen has remained static, so it now looks 2x larger on your screen). in a real cockpit the size of that same me-109 should have remained unchanged.

with a "Wii 6DoF" your in cockpit objects would increase in size because they are close to the viewer which is normal (and in the Wii johny lee clip you see the floating balls he is looking at are getting larger as he gets closer to them), but for the distant objects you look at (external to the cockpit) those will stay the same size. most objects we interact with as virtual pilots in il2 are several hundred meters away, if not km's, and you leaning 20 or 30 cm closer to them shouldnt make a difference in the size you see them. which is why in the johny lee video the stadium he is looking at, and all the people in it, do not get larger as he gets closer to them.

right now in il2 for people using medium to large size computer monitors, we have the problem that if you set your FoV to correctly display your in-cockpit objects (ie the gauges and dials are the right size for the distance your eye is fro them), then external-to-the-cockpit-objects (like an aircraft at 200 meters) look significantly to small. similarly if you set your FoV to correctly display the size of a me-109 at 200 meters, then suddenly the normally cramped cockpit environment of the fighter you are flying in, has become a 3 seater and your cockpit gauges are way to big.

lastly, this Wii-6DoF will only give us the improvement we are after for medium/large desktop pc monitors which most people are currently using (and will be for the next 5 or 6 years), because we sit up to about a meter away from them, and our virtual pilots head (viewpoint) stays within 1m to 20/30 cm from the monitor. ultra large displays need different methods (see lurch's post). also be aware that this view system only works for the player, external spectators who watch the gamer playing do not get the same corrected perspective.

so with the Wii-6DoF system you can have your cake and eat it to, your in cockpit objects will be the correct size and you can lean closer to them to have a better look at them (or view around your cockpit struts for ex), but meanwhile external objects will remain unchanged in their size and those will still be correctly displayed.

Last edited by zapatista; 04-30-2008 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Approved Member

"But, when I'm in the cockpit of my F-6, I want to think that I'm actually in and surrounded by the aircraft "

then you could try this window effect with 3 screen, whereever you looked you would be sorrounded by the virtual ultrarealistic world percieved trough windows

this is real 3d,to look to an ultrarealistic 3d rendetion not to a flat screen showing a full of flaws 3d that your brain perceive instantly as wrong

thats why every 3d rendition so far appears so unrealistic, its full of perspective wrongs, but in fact this system has not a single flaw(unless you zoom it) and even this must have a solution since if you can use binoculars in the real world it should be posibe to also do so in the virtual, im working on it

i you looked to this system with one eye closed your brain would think you are actually there, theres no a single difference between looking at the real world and looking at the rendetion
Old 04-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Approved Member

well 1c team can do two things copy everybody else with regards of 6dof or do the most realistic and reasonable

first leaning right and left is redundant, leaning in the real world is enough to see the virtual world leaned, if you lean as well the pilots virtual head is redundant and stupid, so this axe is free to use, logical then would be use it to zoom in and out, this would bring the problem that if you zoom double size and pan 180º the screen will have had run 360º but as it pans at double speed doesnt really matter

second correcting perspective to give a more relistic 3d, just keeping fov of the game and fov that screen takes from your eyes equal, thats all

the rest id do as has been implemented so far

though probably the best thing to do would be please evrybody with many options of the way 6dof is implemented,
edit:

i just realized this would be great for airliner pilots since theyd see a real size runway on simulations,but militars keep away from my idea, btw can i protect my idea from militars using it?

Last edited by raaaid; 05-02-2008 at 12:08 PM.