Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 01-27-2016, 03:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sita View Post
how many people need to make quarter of that list?
Most of the planes on the list exist as mods. It might be possible to get some new planes in the game by reaching out to modders, at least for content that meet's TD's standards.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS69 View Post
We have lots of flyables without adequate missions for them.
This will be more of a problem once we get cargo and patrol aircraft into the game.

Not only will IL2 have to add new types of missions, but also new objects appropriate to the new missions.

Quote:
Pilot's rescue missions were most daring. They were flown everywhere, from the north sea, to the black sea, in europe, and the whole of the pacific scenery.
Actually, it was very rare for seaplanes/flying boats to land to rescue men at sea. Waves were usually too high for planes to land or take off safely. Instead, patrol aircraft just directed rescue boats to survivors, and sometimes dropped supplies.

It would also be quite difficult for IL2 to handle actual rescue missions. How would the game determine how many survivors a plane can hold? How does it figure added mass from survivors, and the time needed for them to board the plane? Once aboard, can survivors be injured or killed by enemy fire? If the plane crashes, how do survivors bail out?

Also, the game would have to make a lot of changes to water animations in order to simulate high seas, wave direction, and interactions between waves and floating objects.

Quote:
Those boats played the mine laying role also, and the long range scouts too.
Mine-laying missions would be easy. Basically, like bombing missions but with "bombs" with triggers that get delayed until a ship touches the mine (for contact mines) or comes within a certain distance of it (for magnetic or acoustic mines). Like torpedoes, mines can only be successfully laid if the player flies low and slow enough. Players would get points just for dropping mines in the assigned target area. Aerial mine objects would be simple to make and texture, and to add as new loadouts.

Scout missions already exist within the game.

Anti-Submarine Warfare and Artillery Spotting Missions would require some new objects and game programming.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:42 AM
Approved Member

I was just browsing an old website that I haven't visited in a few years and came across photos of LaGG-3 aircraft with skis. I'm assuming they were used in a ground attack role because most of them were equipped with rockets. There are photos showing later series 29 aircraft in 1942-43. I think it would be a good addition. Personally, I like attacking ground targets so I would enjoy having a LaGG with skis on the list.

Since we already have the LaGGs then it might be an easy fix to add skis to one of them (series 29?).

Link: http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/lagg3/ski/ski.htm

Old 01-29-2016, 11:08 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post

Actually, it was very rare for seaplanes/flying boats to land to rescue men at sea. Waves were usually too high for planes to land or take off safely. Instead, patrol aircraft just directed rescue boats to survivors, and sometimes dropped supplies.
Check the german boats activity over the black sea. Or even the He115 over barents sea. You will be surprised.

American PYB also see a lot of this kind of action.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Check the german boats activity over the black sea. Or even the He115 over barents sea. You will be surprised.

American PYB also see a lot of this kind of action.
+1

Luftwaffe and Regia Aeronautica ASR activity was remarkable in the MTO too.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I'm not familiar with seaplane/flying boat ops in those areas. But, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if there were far more direct rescues in the Black and Mediterranean Seas. Waves don't get as big in smaller bodies of water, and due to nature of the coastlines there probably were more rescues in harbors and other sheltered areas.

I'll take your word that there were direct rescues in the Barents Sea. It seems a bit odd since there's ice for much of the year, and the cold water temperatures usually mean that water survival time is measured in minutes. No use risking an airplane and the lives of its crew just to pick corpses out of the water. But, I'm sure that some rescue planes crews took the risk and saved lives by doing so.

On the Western Front, the waves in the North Sea, Bay of Biscay, and English Channel were often too high for rescue planes to land. But there were still many rescues - especially in the English Channel, with the He-115, Supermarine Walrus, and PBY Catalina doing most of the work.

If IL2 ever decides to get into seaplane ops in the Mediterranean, an important aircraft to add to the wishlist is the CANT Z.501 Gabbiano. It was a real workhorse which suffered a lot of casualties.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:00 PM
Approved Member

Sea sate...... Just do a quick YouTube search on the Do24 and you be quite impressed with sea state it was able to operate in due to the blended outrigger hull design, the Do18 was also quite capable, but being that it's diesels where so under powered, getting back off was an issue, then again it was designed to operate with a support ship, where it was whinche on board for a catapult launch negating that issue.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:41 PM
Approved Member

Regarding waves as obstacles for a seaplane landing: it depends on local weather condition more than on particular area. Both Black Sea and West Med can be pretty rough. Waves are shorter than in the ocean and in "open" seas but high enough to cause a damage. Beaufort 9-10 winds and waves up to 6-9 m are not rare in those areas in winter period.
East Med is much calmer through most of year, especially in Levant - real safe haven. English Channel can be bad at Western approaches, but waves are much smaller in Dover Strait. Barentz probably was very tricky for seaplanes in winter. Ice helps to reduce waves, but... it's still ice. I wonder were they able to land in pancake ice conditions, for example.
Besides the waves, wind speed should be taken into account, of course. And in autumn/winter period - icing effect which is real menace for small ships stability and can develop extremely fast under certain conditions (wind speed/temperature/humidity).
Old 01-31-2016, 07:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlee View Post
Regarding waves as obstacles for a seaplane landing: it depends on local weather condition more than on particular area. Both Black Sea and West Med can be pretty rough. Waves are shorter than in the ocean and in "open" seas but high enough to cause a damage. Beaufort 9-10 winds and waves up to 6-9 m are not rare in those areas in winter period.
East Med is much calmer through most of year, especially in Levant - real safe haven. English Channel can be bad at Western approaches, but waves are much smaller in Dover Strait. Barentz probably was very tricky for seaplanes in winter. Ice helps to reduce waves, but... it's still ice. I wonder were they able to land in pancake ice conditions, for example.
Besides the waves, wind speed should be taken into account, of course. And in autumn/winter period - icing effect which is real menace for small ships stability and can develop extremely fast under certain conditions (wind speed/temperature/humidity).
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the some He115's had been fitted with steel reinforcing strips on keel of the floats to make it possible to land and takeoff directly from ice for winter operations in the north. I can't remember however if this had only been trials or was actually operational used.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:33 PM
Approved Member

Add the He-59C-2 to the list of important ASR types. It was specifically designed as an ASR plane and was used from 1939-44 on all fronts.

It also occurs to me that rather than having a wish list which will eventually extend to every plane designed from 1930-1950, that it would be more useful to group planes and other units by year, map, and role to create "modules." For example, the "must have" list of planes for a Battle of France map is very different from the "must have" list for a 1942 Bay of Biscay map, a 1943 Yunnan China map, or a 1945 Berlin map.

It might also be helpful to plane builders to designate which plane models shared identical cockpits or crew stations, or identical external models. That allows developers to focus work on planes which just need different cockpits or crew stations, or - even better - those which just require tweaks to FM and DM models.

Last edited by Pursuivant; 01-31-2016 at 10:58 PM.