Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:10 AM
Approved Member

Many have addressed points that I also would, so I won't repeat them. However, looking at the weather options, one old IL2 issue comes to mind. I hope it is already addressed. Bomb sight bubble: the ability to reset it on a key press (maybe auto in easy settings). With moving air masses, high level drops will suffer loss in precision, if bubble can't be reset.

Looking that Script label I wonder if we'll be finally able to program failures in the mission.

In a script language, things such:

- 2 minutes after take off, engine spits oil and dies.

- 5 minutes after engine start, mag 1 fails

etc...

thanks for the updates
té mais
tityus
Old 12-04-2010, 04:27 AM
Approved Member

Just thought of a couple more questions.
Are the sliders for options like Destruction Tool and Brush size labelled so that we can understand what moving it left or right actually means.

Also, with features like Sleep for ships, labelling the boxes in which you input the time would be helpful so we know if it's hours and minutes, minutes and seconds, etc.

Personally I think the existing FMB arrangement is great as is. At least with this one, current builders will be able to produce content rapidly. If it was wholly new, everyone would be lost.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:03 AM
Old_Canuck

Oleg thanks for the free flight/sightseeing option.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:20 AM
Approved Member

The FMB looks very good, with a considerable amount of new options. I found IL-2's FMB easy to use and quite intuitive without having to read much of the documentation. If your stuck a quick post on the forums will get you all the answers you need.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:06 AM
Approved Member

Thumbs up Feedback on new FMB

Thanks Oleg for this ‘part release’ on the new FMB,
I have just done a comparison with the old IL-2 FMB and very thankfully you have made only minimal changes – why change an excellent tool that helped give the IL-2 flight sim its very long life. I know some members have criticised the old interface and look of the FMB, I don’t think this matters. As long as the mission builders can quickly pick up the new FMB and make some great missions quickly, using some of the new options.

1. The Mission Description screen is basically the same with the addition of some new folders – I am very happy with this.
2. The map is excellent, including Normandy with more inland French airfields.
3. Placing waypoints are basically the same as IL-2, though I am interested in the ‘In-betweening’ tick boxes and what they mean? ‘Interpolate’ means to ‘insert’ – altitude, speed etc?
4. On the ‘View a list of Objects in the mission’ can you delete airfields that are not being used in the mission build to reduce the map megabyte count and help the ‘frame rate’?
5. The above question leads to another question – are all the airfields already created with buildings, hangars, AA guns, static aircraft and vehicles etc?
6. How does the screen ‘edit’, ‘view’, ‘name’ work and how does ‘Spline RoadRunway Concrete 20m’ work in the FMB?
7. The object ‘aircraft’ screen is very exciting to see – you obviously are holding back some more aircraft for the release, or later release.
8. In the Object ‘Group Properties’ screen you have added four flights to a squadron which is excellent. New boxes are ‘Formation’, Call-Sign’, aircraft weights, Ammo belts (type), Detonators (length of time), Weathering and ‘Spawn parked’. Could you explain ‘Spawn parked’ in more detail?
9. The ‘Player, skill, skin’ screen has some very good new options, Weathering, Briefing, Left nose art, Right nose art, Tactical number, Serial number and A, B and C band colours. Also a ‘Crew’ button to switch from player to crew.
10. What is missing from your pics is the ‘Mission Description’ screen – ‘Mission name’, Short’, Full description. I hope you can create a mission description, say on a lap-top computer and transfer it easily into the mission description area, without opening up the full fight-sim?

I hope this feedback is helpful. The Hurricane mission on the map is a ‘bit of a worry’ – taking-off from Fairfield (I think) and landing at Montdidier (I think) in occupied France, though there are no ‘front line markers’ down the Channel!

DFLion
Old 12-04-2010, 06:06 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for the update Oleg.

A simple question, about a very useful possible feature:
Can you create randomly filled maps?
In case you don't understand what I mean, let me explain.
What about going into an FMB's special section and choosing:
- Coordinates of the map to be used
- Borders
- Types and numbers of ground units per side
- Press "create" and an Autofiller create a ready to use template
- Then, if possible, just move with mouse some units if you want and enjoy the mission

It may sound difficult, but it shouldn't and it will be very useful IMHO.

The advantages are obvious and above all it is the simplicity and the time saving, which is of tremendous importance for many people.

Main "problem" is that engine of random placement of units should have a way to bypass the problem of placing units in areas where they can't be, i.e. a tank in the sea (lol), but this can have many solutions and you know it well.
Additional orders, such as placement of artillery behind and tanks in front (for the shake of logical placement of forces), could be added as well, and still all technical problems can be solved.

So, Oleg, what do you think of this?
Old 12-04-2010, 06:29 AM
Approved Member

One of the wisest descisions ever made in Flight Sim history was keeping the format of the Il2 mission builder. I'm so glad to finally see the SOW version, and even more happy to see the the many additions, improvments and integration with SOW capabilities.

With the largest base of Combat Flight Sim mission builders in the world - it would have been a waste to change the basic struture of the FMB.

Anyone who is even marginally proficient in Il2 FMB (thousands), who have developed missions for every other combat flight sim, knows the pain and inefficiency of the other systems.

For the most part, I've flown multi-player in all its forms for the last 7 years or so. However, many times I've taken a break from MP to fly the many incredible, artisan crafted single player campaigns. Two that come to mind were made by Icefire for the Tempest which were so enjoyable, I actually flew them more than once.

Il2 created a guild of mission builders, skinners and movie makers that I never thought possible. As the sim matured, the talent grew. Keeping the familiar GUI and basic system will bring many of that talent to SOW.

Great move!

S!

Gunny

Last edited by TUSA/TX-Gunslinger; 12-04-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upthair View Post

An idea about the image below. In the "Action" slot, things like "Tight horizontal Turn", "Barrel Roll", etc, can perhaps be added for AI pilots. AI planes performing these manoeuvres endlessly can help us practise gunnery against online opponents.
Oops, I did not express myself clearly yesterday.

I think that one of the major roles of offline play is for a simmer to practise aerial gunnery, and adding those manoeuvres in the Action menu can expand this role .

In online dogfight, you often approach and attack an enemy fighter that is currently engaging a friendly of yours, and, for example, doing a tight horizontal or oblique turn towards your friendly. Also, the enemy is not aware of your approach and therefore continues the tight turn without any change. You then fire at an opponent busy fighting with someone else. This situation is particularly common when your tactics is hit-and-run or boom-and-zoom in a hot air combat. But you need good gunnery to attack such a target successfuly with only one pass, gunnery that lets you fire precisely at the enemy with high speed and from any angle.

So to create such single-player missions with the suggested new "Action" options will be a help for the simmer to practise gunnery against specific aerobatic manouvres. But we need to let the AI perform those manoeuvres repeatedly, without being influenced by the player's presence.

Well, it is just a small idea that might be worth listening to. Thanks a lot Mr Maddox for reading it!

Last edited by Upthair; 12-04-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECV56_Guevara View Post
The greatest update for mission builders ever.
Oleg: Which means the tab "script"?? Is that a trigger???
Could you explain a lil more about the briefing feature?
Thanks a lot!
Yes, it is for triggers.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecke View Post
Hey Oleg,

will you change the visuals of the GUI of the FMB so it better fits the modern look of the overall sim?
Maybe just a bit. Its a tool, not the game, even it ios integrated in the game. It should looks like a tool really.

Last edited by Oleg Maddox; 12-04-2010 at 08:36 AM.