Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:32 AM
Approved Member

Default French Aircraft

I was just watching the old television show, World at War (Great documentary on WW2 incase you haven't seen it) and I was watching the Battle of France episode. So obviously, after watching it I decided to make a thread on French Aircraft; and how cool it would be to have France (Paris, Dunkirk, Wherever) in BoP and some of the French planes such as the, Dewoitine D.520, Moraine-Saulner M.S.406, and other French fighters/bombers etc.

Now I'm not as knowledgeable as I am with Italian or Soviet aircraft, but the out of date, slow, highly nimble (some), and strange looking French planes I think would be an interesting mix with some of the other planes in BoP or in any other WW2 flight simulator for that matter. Take the M.S.406 which is (for its time) was actually not that bad of a fighter, but when the Blitzkrieg came it was no match for the high powered and maneuverable German 109E.

Anyway, my point is that I want to see what all your opinions are on French planes. What do you think about them: Odd, Cool, Dumb, Interesting to learn about (to me they are ) whatever? Do you think it would be fun to test fly one of the many out of date and strange French planes that took part in the Battle of France?

Here are just a few pictures of French planes that I'm talking about, and didn't talk about.

Amiot 143- French Bomber/Reconnoissance Plane

Moraine-Saulner M.S. 406

Dewoitine D.520

Bloch MB 152

There's a lot more. I'm just too lazy to post them all.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:06 AM
Approved Member

hmm well considering the best ones were not battle ready when it mattered rather terable (nice addition to bop though)
Old 12-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Approved Member

first thanks soviet ace for this thread about french planes( i m french!lol!)
the fighters:
during the battle of france the best fighter was the dewoitine d 520 who was as good as the bf109 e and better than the bf109d
werner molders the famous german ace was shooted down by a d520,but not a lot of d520 in the skies of france...
the ms 406 can be a good fighter in the tight turns but too slow.
the mb151/152(bloch 151/152)were a good fighters with a good fire power and very solid but lightly slow and had a ridiculous combat range.a the end of the battle of france the blochs 152 had destroyed 150 ennemies planes (80 mb152 were destroyed cause of ennemy fire)
the caudron c714 was a fighter too light and totaly bad but it paticipated in the fights because of the bad situation of the french forces.
french air force used also the american curtiss hawk 75 and the nederland koolhoven fk 58
the potez631 ,a twin engine fighter (it resemble a lot to bf 110)was the "french zerstorer" but too slow.potez 631 serve in the french air force night and day fighters group
exept the d520 the french figthers were too slow.but french pilots fight until the end with courage ,they destroyed with the raf pilots 1000 germans planes during the battle of france.
the famous german ace adolf galland talk about the frenchies pilots with a great respect.
to finish a lot of french planes were not finished and not ready for the fights
nice addition to bop!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by olife; 12-19-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Approved Member

No problem Olife, I think French aviation during the 20s,30s, and early 40s is very interesting; but not given much credit due to their short time in the war as an actual fighting force. (Besides the Free French, and French Resistance etc.)

Anyway, I rather like the idea of what the French had. Basically, just low level fighters that are turn and burn. If the Germans (Concentrating this to strictly European nations) hadn't taken the idea of high altitude, fast, and what we saw in WW2; and done like what the French, Italians, British (Yes, the Hawker Hurricane was actually supposed to be a Biplane, but was configured to a monoplane due to what Germany was building.), and Eastern European nations were doing which was basically WW1 planes but more advanced. (And by that, I mean low, slow, and maneuverable such as biplanes, and slow monoplanes.) I think the French would have stood more of a chance against the Germans. I mean I do like German planes, but the French keeping to low, slow, and maneuverable is just cool.

Sure the planes may have been out of date already, and some not so structurally sound but who cares. WW2 could have been similarly been fought like WW1, but with more advanced bi-planes and this time around tanks and monoplanes.

So I've taken quite the liking to French aviation over the past week, and think they would make quite an interesting addition to BoP. (But I doubt that any more planes will be added in. )

Old 12-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet Ace View Post
No problem Olife, I think French aviation during the 20s,30s, and early 40s is very interesting; but not given much credit due to their short time in the war as an actual fighting force. (Besides the Free French, and French Resistance etc.)

Anyway, I rather like the idea of what the French had. Basically, just low level fighters that are turn and burn. If the Germans (Concentrating this to strictly European nations) hadn't taken the idea of high altitude, fast, and what we saw in WW2; and done like what the French, Italians, British (Yes, the Hawker Hurricane was actually supposed to be a Biplane, but was configured to a monoplane due to what Germany was building.), and Eastern European nations were doing which was basically WW1 planes but more advanced. (And by that, I mean low, slow, and maneuverable such as biplanes, and slow monoplanes.) I think the French would have stood more of a chance against the Germans. I mean I do like German planes, but the French keeping to low, slow, and maneuverable is just cool.

Sure the planes may have been out of date already, and some not so structurally sound but who cares. WW2 could have been similarly been fought like WW1, but with more advanced bi-planes and this time around tanks and monoplanes.

So I've taken quite the liking to French aviation over the past week, and think they would make quite an interesting addition to BoP. (But I doubt that any more planes will be added in. )

whaooo!!very nice video about ms406!!thanks!!!
agree with u,i think unfortunatety we never see a french planes in this game but...we will see...maybe..please!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Ace

Fixed it for you.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 12-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic Pope View Post
Fixed it for you.
lol Very nice Pope, but maybe 'Soviet French Ace' works better? Due to the Normandie Nieman group of Frenchmen flying on the Eastern Front.

MORE VIDEOS!! (The first couple don't have sound, I don't know why? They just didn't have the audio. )