Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Approved Member

^^ you guys think it is best to copy paste it all into ancient seraphs post? so we have it all together.

I agree on giving P-51 comments after the update
Old 10-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Seraph View Post
Well, although I value your input, I must say I won't just copy/paste this into the OP if you don't mind . As a poll once showed, you can be a tad bit prejudiced (no offence, as the poll showed as well ). I will however take into account the facts, and my recent experience with them (tried them out tonight). PM me if you feel something is incorrect.

I agree. No judgement on the P-51 and maybe some other debateable airplanes (still not sure in how far the update will affect other aircraft).

Thanks for the input . I wasn't planning on a bomber section, but as if people 'review' them I won't ignore it.
I might make some small adjustments, feel free to PM me if you feel something is incorrect.
Oh, I had no intention of that part being taken as fact. Just what my opinion was on the whole Yak series in the game. But the actual reviews on the Yaks is straight fact.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Approved Member

I made a pretty long one here , about the 109 series.
There are many 109's in the game, and it is not always clear to every one what the difference is. (it took me many training flights and online games to figure it out, and also asking questions on this forum)

I really enjoy flying them, even though it will not get me as many kills as with the La or spit.

well, here is what I know of the 109's out of experience flying them in this game:

Bf-109 series:

First of all, it should be understood that the 109's are energy fighters in the heart. But, some of them can be used in turning battles, against the correct opponents. Depending on enemy player skill, and enemy plane type.
Do not start turing against a spit, la, yak, i-153 or I-16. Use your speed to try and get the dogfight in your advantage. Know when to turn and when not to.

E3: It is the oldest bf109 in the game and you get it without unlocking. It has a relative weak armament(2x 7.92mm MG17 + 2x 20mm MG FF), compared to the fighters from the same period (hurricane, spit). It is a pretty stable gun platform with little to no recoil. It is about average in manoeuvrability and speed (compared to other early period fighters).

F-4: It is a step up from the E-3. It is faster and has a better turn and roll rate. Out of all the 109's, this is the one you should pick if you are planning on turning a lot. It's aramament might seem less than the E-3, but the 20mm MG151 does a better job than the 2 20mm MG FF.

G-2: This one has a pretty noticable increase in speed over the F-4, and it makes it faster than the spits, making it a able boom and zoom plane. It trades speed for manoeuvrability and roll rate. It turns and rolls slightly worse than the F-4.The armament is the same as the F-4. (on a personal note, I think its paint job makes it too easy to spot).

G-6: This is the fighter with the biggest armament in the game. It has a 30mm MK108 nosecannon, 2x 13mm MG131 on the fuselage and 2x 30mm MK108 gunpods under the wings. This heavy armament certainly comes at its price. The recoil is big, but small burst will take care of this. Its performance: about as fast as the F-4, with a slightly worse manoeuvrability than the G-2.

G-10: The gustav series is one of the fastest 109's. In game it is just not as fast as it should be. It has the same 20mm nosecannon as the F-4 and G-2, but its machineguns are 13mm MG131 in stead of the old 7.92mm MG17. This gives just the extra punch you sometimes need. Again speed and armament are traded for manoeuvrability. its roll rate is ok, but its rate of turn is quite low. It will take quite a lot of skills to avoid people getting on your six o'clock, making it a rookie unfriendly plane.

K-4: The fastest piston plane in the game. It can outrun most planes without too much trouble. Turning is quite bad (worse than the G-10). Turning is not what you want to do with this plane. Were the other 109's might be able to hold its own in a short turning battle, the K-4 should not be able to keep up in a tight turn. This is one of the best boom and zoom planes in game.Its high speed and powerfull armament; 2x 13mm + 2x 20mm +1x 30mm, it makes perfect for coming in fast, destroying the enemy in one burst, and fly away.

Feel free to correct me if im wrong. This is not wikipedia, just my experience.

Last edited by MorgothNL; 10-08-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Approved Member

Sounds ok to me. You might want to add that all the Me109's perform better at higher altitude. The K-4 even has a pressurised cockpit.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 10-08-2009, 01:15 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorgothNL View Post
I made a pretty long one here , about the 109 series.
There are many 109's in the game, and it is not always clear to every one what the difference is. (it took me many training flights and online games to figure it out, and also asking questions on this forum)

I really enjoy flying them, even though it will not get me as many kills as with the La or spit.

well, here is what I know of the 109's out of experience flying them in this game:

Bf-109 series:
(..)
E3:(..)
F-4: (..)
G-2: (..)
G-6(..)
G-10: (..)
K-4: (..)

Feel free to correct me if im wrong. This is not wikipedia, just my experience.
Thanks a lot for your input. I've edited a little bit, contact me if you don't agree. I mostly discarded the fancy armament numbers, since I want this guide to be easily readable, without forcing any readers to chomp through facts they might not be interested in (no offense).
As you might've noticed I value everyone's input, but still like the guide to remain the style I've intended it to be. As stated, correct me if something is off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic Pope View Post
Sounds ok to me. You might want to add that all the Me109's perform better at higher altitude. The K-4 even has a pressurised cockpit.
Good point. Although it'll only be a general reference, nothing major or specific. I haven't seen a lot (almost no) dogfights at high altitudes in-game.

Last edited by Ancient Seraph; 10-08-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:19 AM
Approved Member

knock youself out . When I was first trying out all the 109's, i didnt care for the numbers either. Suppose it is best to have a easy overview of the basic differences. In stead of 'the 7.92mm is replaced by 13mm' --> 'a stonger armament' will do
Old 10-08-2009, 01:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Dont almost all the planes perform better at higher altitude? I believe both spit and 109 have best performance around 6000-7000 meters.
Is it really noticable? since all the dogfight rarely exeed 3000ft..

I know some planes do better than others at very high altitudes, but very high altitudes, are dont really apply to the BOP gameplay.

But like I said, im no expert you tell me . this is just how I see it
Old 10-08-2009, 01:40 AM
Approved Member

lol Seraph, you've made my descriptions sound so much nicer with your edits. I'll probably put some more bombers guides up tomorrow if no one beats me to it.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:54 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorgothNL View Post
Dont almost all the planes perform better at higher altitude? I believe both spit and 109 have best performance around 6000-7000 meters.
Is it really noticable? since all the dogfight rarely exeed 3000ft..

I know some planes do better than others at very high altitudes, but very high altitudes, are dont really apply to the BOP gameplay.

But like I said, im no expert you tell me . this is just how I see it
Well the other day I was flying a 109G-2 in a 1v1 dogfight against a yak3. I was getting owned 4 kills to my 0. Near the end I managed to lose him and got up to 10,000ft. He finaly spotted me and came up to play, I was then able to get a kill on him and was about to get a 2nd when the game ended.
Although its not conclusive proof, I'm pretty sure the Yak had a big advantage at low level and the 109 being at higher altitude improved its ability to dogfight.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 10-08-2009, 02:00 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd27 View Post
lol Seraph, you've made my descriptions sound so much nicer with your edits. I'll probably put some more bombers guides up tomorrow if no one beats me to it.
I call the Il-4 Medium Bomber.

Quote:
Well the other day I was flying a 109G-2 in a 1v1 dogfight against a yak3. I was getting owned 4 kills to my 0. Near the end I managed to lose him and got up to 10,000ft. He finaly spotted me and came up to play, I was then able to get a kill on him and was about to get a 2nd when the game ended.
Although its not conclusive proof, I'm pretty sure the Yak had a big advantage at low level and the 109 being at higher altitude improved its ability to dogfight.
And you are correct, the Yak-3 (any Yak in BoP for that matter) should be flown at 5,000ft or below. Whoever it was you were flying against was an idiot to fly up and try to get you. First, he burned off speed doing so, and since he was higher up wouldn't have been as good in maneuverability.