Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:49 AM
Approved Member

The 950 should help. And your 700W PSU should be fine too... nVidia has made huge strides in the last couple of years to the point that my GTX 960 idles at far less than any video card I've had in years. It also idles with no fans and I can even run HD video and other stuff without the fan spooling at all.

Its also a pretty solid card even in the latest games.

Hopefully it helps your issue out. Not sure what else to suggest that isn't here from one of the guys.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:19 PM
What the heck...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudkopf View Post
G'day KG..... / VP.....

Gigabyte GeForce GTX950 xtreme gaming 2GB DDR5, or as Jeremy Clarkson would say "More Power".

Now here's hopping that my current 700W power supply is up to the task, as I'm quite sure any further expenditure for an upgrade to something larger is not something I can even start to contemplate, seeing that I had to put up my very best grovel to the Minister of Finance to get my hands on the above.

Something I'm pretty damn sure She'll be making me pay for it for at least the rest of the month if not far much longer!
700w should be well more than enough for a GTX 950. I have an EVGA GTX 950 SC+ and it only requires a 350w PSU (mine is 650w). The 950s with their new architecture are extremely efficient cards.

One thing you'll want to keep in mind is that different versions of the 950 have different power requirements. Some require a 6-pin PCIe plug while other 950s require an 8-pin PCIe plug. The stronger, more aggressively OC'ed versions (i.e. EVGA GTX 950 FTW) need more juice.

Also, make sure the plug you might have hanging loose is specifically labelled as a PCIe plug, not a standard power plug (6-pin, 8-pin, or otherwise). They're not the same thing.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:51 AM
Approved Member

Turns out the power consumption is less than the replaced card as it took all its power from the pci-e slot, so was an unnecessary concern after all.

Now to the bad news, well the disappointment continues, however I seemed to have narrowed the issue down to the Nvidia settings, having all but ruled out any issues with the conf.ini.

I can run Il-2 46 stutter free if I disable v-sync, but I then I get screen tearing (especially noticeable at minimum FOV), enabling v-sync fixes the screen tearing, but re-introduces the stutters, even restricting the FPS to 60 as was suggested in the SAS thread I originally referred to at the start seems to have no effect.

Needless to say I'm getting a tad bummed out at this stage, and do not know what to try next.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Approved Member

Ok after a weekend of frustration I may have solved it, by using the Nvidia inspector and selecting the following parameters and more specifically with the one highlighted below:

Went for several solo flights in numerous aircraft types using the Slovakia summer map with everything maxed out and with lots of clouds (even had forest set to 4 in a read only conf. ini) and it would appear thus far that I'm stutter and tear free, still need to see what happens when the sky is a tad more busy but thus far things seem to be OK.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:51 PM
Approved Member

Turns out that the stutter has not been completely eliminated after all, did some more flying and noticed there is still the periodical micro stutter, however these are more noticeable when your just tooling around and admiring the scenery, however when you've got more important things to do, like attacking a target or when your focus is preoccupied with landing your crate, then they are less noticeable.

Now I wanted to tax the current setting somewhat more, so I set the weather to poor, as to bump up the amount of clouds, and still need to try the same flight again with better weather to see if it was the additional clouds that introduced said m-stutters.

With any luck there is still an ideal setting hidden somewhere within the multitude of flags found in the Nvidia Inspector and hopefully I can find it before my will to do so expires.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:21 PM
Approved Member

Great read, even a surprise new Video card, and anticipation on whether it would work.

I'm having the same problem. I will try out the suggestions, though I have a ATI card. Have tried every official driver issued for this card, all the same. Choppy video after a few sec, and then clean, then choppy for longer than clean.

Started seeing it when I was drifting off to sleep.

I only have a computer for the flight sim, all the other stuff is nice, especially the DAW feature.

I was thinking it was time to just throw a few or three hundred into a new box, but this thread shows even that might not work.

I'll come back if any thing here worked, or had a adverse effect.

Cheers! Hola! noka!

Last edited by Music; 08-26-2016 at 09:22 PM. Reason: noka
Old 12-21-2016, 01:42 AM
Approved Member

Hhhhhheeeeeelllllpppppppppppppppppppp

Had not flown for a while and after reading Osprey’s He 162 Volksjäger Units, I wanted to take one up for a jaunt.

Well turns out that the stutter issue decided to raise its ugly head again with a vengeance.

In the most part after some investigation I discovered that this was in part due to the fact that my installed version of the Nvidia inspector was not compatible with the Win 10 anniversary update.

Once I got that sorted things where somewhat better, but still seemed far more stuttery than I remembered, even though I had I tried the trick of limiting the frame rate to 60fps so as to match that of the refresh rate, but this did not seem to work anywhere near as good as it had in the past and instead introduced very noticeably longer stutters.

So I began to think what would happen if I limited the frame rate even lower to say 40fps, initially this seemed to give me silky smooth results, but when I added other aircraft to the mission (me in a Bf110 v 4x PE the micros returned along with some occasional very noticeable mega stutters.

It really beginning to really bum me out and taking the some of the joy out IL2 46 for me, my rig is so over-spec’ed for 46 that this simply should not be happening, I’d punch more RAM into the system but I doubt that this would have any effect nor would getting a second card to SLI (as my card is now discontinued this option is almost unavailable one anyway) , I’m now I’m looking into affinities and the such to see if this can fix this but every step forward seems to push me just as many steps back.

I’m getting close to my wits end, and on top of this I now having this Joystick reassignment issue to contend with.

So any, and I mean any suggestions no matter how seemingly mundane at this point would greatly enhance my chances of retaining what little of my sanity remains.

Just to recap my rig is as follows:

Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3 motherboard
Intel i7 -4790 CPU
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD as the primary boot drive (C: drive, this also is where Il2-46 lives)
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD as the secondary "simming" drive (G: drive, BoS, CoD have been installed here).
Western Digital 1TB Black as primary storage drive (H: drive, this drive was reformatted from old rig)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX950 xtreme gaming 2GB DDR5
Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 Ram
Coolermaster 700 W power supply.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:08 PM
Approved Member

Well, it's been a few months.

i fought with that last Computer for most of that time. i found when i took a shaving brush, (the one they use to brush the shavings off your neck), to the Processor, not a lot of dust came out, but game ran smooth.

And continued to for a few months. then it started again. So I took the brush to the Processor again, and things smoothed out.

The third time was not so smooth, the computer wold not turn back on, and power supply was indicating a short somewhere, so itook every thing apart, and ended up needing a new computer. lol :c)

New comp is much better, no problems from day one, and Il-2 Runs smooth. It did reveal that the last one was shot, it whined like a Merlin all the time, which I ignored, and buddy obviously sold it just before it died.

So all is well with Music and Il-2.

If you are having problems, find a proper way to clean the processor, and hopefully that will work.

Happy New Year! Pilots