Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Approved Member

Default Have you considered doing a Steam backup of your game?

The last official version of the game, downloaded via Steam, was Version 1.05.15950.

After that was Beta 1.06.17582, with it's Corefix put out shortly afterwards, to be downloaded and installed manually.

Then there was the latest Beta patch 1.07.18301.

When the next official patch is released via Steam, you won't be able to roll back to any previous official or beta version of the game unless you've done a Steam backup of that version of the game.

To backup the current official version of the game, open up your Steam library and right click on 'IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs Of Dover' listed there. Select Properties/Local Files/BACKUP GAME FILES, then follow the prompts to choose a place to save your backup, the size the files are to be split into (if you want to save them to disk for example), and your game will be saved.

To re-install the game at a later time, open the first Backup folder ('Disk_1') and double-click on the 'steambackup' file, which will start an automated process for re-installing the game.

To prevent Steam automatically updating the older version of the game you want to install, make sure Steam is offline before you start the re-installation procedure by opening up the Steam program, clicking on the 'Steam' drop-down list at the top left of the screen and selecting 'Go offline'. Then after re-installing the game, open up it's 'Properties' again, select 'Updates' and 'Do not automatically update this game'.

The actual file size for 'Cliffs Of Dover' Version 1.05.15950 is 4.78 GB and will take about five minutes to save, depending on your hardware.

I've backed up the game for the first time myself because I don't want to get stuck with the bugs that have been introduced in the last two beta patches if they're not fixed in the next offical patch released via Steam, and thought it might be worth putting out a reminder to others to consider doing likewise.

So, again, if you don't save (backup) the current Official Steam version of the game, you won't be able to roll back to it or it's beta patches once the next Official Steam version of the game is released, and you will be putting your trust in the developers not to introduce more unwelcome changes to the game that you will then be stuck with.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Approved Member

Thanks, good idea to save that for awhile...I would like to have the original release version as well. Not sure how to get that back

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 07-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Approved Member

I never found out for sure whether the original DVD versions of Cliffs Of Dover had the actual game on them or whether it still had to be downloaded via Steam. If the game was actually on the disk that'd be somewhere you could still get the first version of it, and if there were beta patches for it you could use those too.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
I never found out for sure whether the original DVD versions of Cliffs Of Dover had the actual game on them or whether it still had to be downloaded via Steam. If the game was actually on the disk that'd be somewhere you could still get the first version of it, and if there were beta patches for it you could use those too.

Yea, I often wondered about that, my purchase was a digital...I liked the sky colors in the release. Even if I had it, not sure how much I would ever use it.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5