Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Fantasy Wars

Fantasy Wars Turn-based strategy. Gather an army, upgrade units, study magic spells, participate in castle sieges and assaults to destroy the great Orc Ugraum’s horde.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:05 AM
Approved Member

I got the Demo to work.

I'll start with pros

PROS
-Army size change feature (I don't know wether it is a new idea or not, either way it is good)
-Simple, easy to use quick to learn interface
-visually pleasing world
-Good descriptions on skills
-Animations and Spells look beautiful
-It is satisfying to watch a hero send units flying

Overall the game looks and feels smooth, and I only encountered one very minor graphical glitch/lag. All the units look very good, and their animations are unique and realistic. When the spectral wolves were running around, I got this feeling of menace, and when the goblins ran, I could smell their cries of fear peircing dimensional walls. (That made no sense, but oh well)

My overall cons are petty, little things. (Sounds could be adjusted, I would change this here and nitpick at this, nothing worth mentioning)

However, my main con is that the game doesn't draw me in. I'm not sure what it is, but the game doesn't captivate me the way some do. When I quit halfway through a replay of the Human game to write all this down, I didn't feel like "Oh, I just want to do one more thing first." The game just doesn't feel quite right. Not that its a bad game, but playing it won't change my world, and not buying it won't be a major decision for me. It might be just me, though. I think it was the lack of "Fantasy" that threw me. The bits of spellcasting (Fireball, Freeze) were good, but it seemed more like jus "Wars." I think it would be greatly improved to have more spell casters, more variation in units. Eg, if there were more fantastic beasts available.

I'm sorry for the sort of pessimistic review. Its good work, but I don't know how successful it will be. Good luck, get it on the shelves, and work on King's Bounty.

EDIT: I think I missjudged: The game is quite good, I was just being dumb because I was loosing. I've happily gotten to a Silver in Freiburg, working on Gold. The game really is addicting, and I think I will buy a copy when it comes out. November, you said? And is it against the rules to post screenies for people?
Old 09-25-2007, 06:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daystar
And is it against the rules to post screenies for people?
It's not against the rules, you may do it.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:52 AM
Approved Member

I'm confused, is it:
Humans
Orcs
Elves & Dwarves

or

Humans
Orcs
Elves
Dwarves
Old 09-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

I only played the demo shortly but heres few things that came to mind:

(1) The sounds might need just lil bit of tuning. I.e the walking sounds are so silent that I can barely hear them. I really like to hear my troops march.

(2) Units seemd to gain "levels" or somthing for which you can choose perks. I didnt notice any graphical "ding!" indicator that would say which units have unchosen perks. Now I just accidently found that som units had them.

The demo was quite brilliant. I really liked the orc mission. Not so much of the human one but that was simply because I was overwhelmed with units and stuff. In the real campaign Im sure the units & stuff are brought to the player gradually instead of throwing it all at once.

Overall its a superb game. Especially I like the way the zoom workes. Its just so fluent and full of detail. And you can even see the individual soldiers in a unit! It works really nice. Its a good evolution for the general-series.

Thank you for doing a remake of fantasy general! It was a favorite of mine and many others.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

Good game!

Thank a lot for the rebirth of the hexagonal turn based game!

Please, give us a patch with news maps, a true skirmish mode, news races, a true skirmish mode, news artifact, a true skirmish mode, a map editor, a true skirmish mode, elfe and dwarf separate...
Please!
Congratulations guys, you are going to be the target of all the mad community of heroic fantasy turn based fan! Courage, just a few work again and this good game will become so great that a new dollar license will birth

PS : Give us the tools, and the community will do the work
Old 09-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Approved Member

just so they're clear, Elmereth, do you want a skirmish mode?
Old 09-29-2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

Yes !

Particularly for the multiplayers options, I think that such a good game like that deserve a true skirmish mode, with lot of things to configure (for example : starting army, starting heroes, map emplacement, artifact density, customizable ai, opponent race, etc..)
Old 09-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Approved Member

I agree. I can't wait till the game comes out, I'll deffinitely get a copy. Good summer game.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:51 AM
Registered Member

Would also like confirmation if skirmish mode is available with the ability to provide random maps and various settings.
Thoroughly enjoyed the demo.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:20 AM
Approved Member

This is one of the few demos I stumbled over that really impressed me. I have to say that the title is kind of silly, but so was the last one(Mythic Wars), fortunately the game was far better thna I would expect from such a title name.

Naturally I bought the game.