Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:10 AM
Approved Member

Default Distribution request..

Oleg .. Please do not use Steam for SOW, distribution or running the game.

Steam, I'm finding, very problematic with their contact/help desk. I'm sitting a week now with a problem that I cannot play a game, due to a password/change of email combination. Yet Steam seems to be is acting like UBI with regard to it's treatment of customers, and sending me around in circles, instead of directly addressing the problem.

Thanks
K_F
Old 11-26-2010, 07:10 AM
Approved Member

When I changed my email address I just input the new one into the relevant box in my steam account.
Whats the problem KF,maybe we can help?
Have to say,I think I would prefer steam to some ubi DRM just now...
Old 11-26-2010, 07:27 AM
Approved Member

my only problem with steam is, if a nutshell retard manages to hack your account, there you go: no more game to you. And steam accounts get hacked in a daily baises......
Old 11-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Approved Member

My problem is quite simple...

My password was reset(and have no idea of what it now is), but my email address has also changed since 2007, when I registered RO with steam, so I cannot make changes to my game account. I've tried putting my new email addy into the alternative email slot but no joy.

The help desk keep harping on about a CD-Key, and I sent a messages explaining that my retail purchased RO did not have a CD-Key as it was enabled online when installing.. I've sent pics of the box and CDs, as this is the only proof I have, besides my game usage which should be on the steam logs - if they exist.

This is where I'm at... 'tapping' my big right foot, with a 'holy hand grenade' in one hand.

I'm not proposing using UBI, no ways,... I stear clear of them, also I don't like the idea of steam either, but did so with RO, because my kid wanted the game for his BDay.

What I'd prefer with SOW, is that Oleg/1C set up a lite 'drm' management server and in doing so, keep 1C's games within 1C. This I'd be happy with.

Last edited by K_Freddie; 11-26-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Approved Member

I have used steam for years and have never had a problem. I would love it if SOW is released on steam but i dont see it happening if UBI is involved. I hope there is going to be a digital distribution though as I live Alice Springs, Australia and it would take quite a while for a physical disk to get here.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Approved Member

I had a similar problem once, I had changed my email and forgotten my password (I hadn't used steam in quite a while).

As requested, i sent a photo of the receipt and cd case (and key), and they fixed it up promptly.

Overall I prefer steam because:
I don't like optical disks, I don't like paying excessive mark-ups in Australian stores, and all of my game purchases are researched, rather than whims whilst in store, hence it's good to be able to pay, download, and run the software quickly.

If my account was stolen (an I was unable to get my titles back), I'd be thinking differently, however.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Approved Member

I find that retail/store price strange.

I realise that as games come in overpriced, but if you have a bit of patience the prices comes down drastically after about 3 months. I always picked up the IL2 series for about 1/3 the price of pre-ordered.

I think today retail play on the impatience of the 'now now' youth, and they succer them completely with high prices. I would do the same, and Steam/UBI will be doing the same, if not already.

Collective bargaining, the power of the consumer is a powerfull tool... if used properly.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Approved Member

I'm curious to know if there is a human behind steams 'helpdesk', because if there is, they are really thick... I mean thick as, not one brick, but two.

The replies I'm getting look to be automated... don't these people learn anything ?
Old 11-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Approved Member

I have been using Steam with few games so far and have never had any issues with it. Compared to the prices here in my country - if I buy a game of Steam I usually get it 50% cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Uther View Post
Have to say,I think I would prefer steam to some ubi DRM just now...
Same here. Any time of the day.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 11-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Approved Member

If SOW comes in retail and is runnable offline (online requirements via a 'lite' drm is no problem) I'll buy it anyday.

But if I must have a network connection like steam/UBIs DRM (that interferes with my ability to play offline[or online])... hasta lavista baby, you can kiss one sale goodbye.

Steam has not been a problem for 3 years, which is OK. BUT as soon as there's a problem..you'll be p..ssed off very quickly.
It's all about ownership.. If you sell a product to a client, it's theirs...not your's. Where software companies get this EULA from.. is simply BS.

I'm sure a legal case of unfair business practice can be made of this type of EULA - imagine it...

Last edited by K_Freddie; 11-27-2010 at 09:46 PM.