Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:17 AM
Approved Member

Default Question for BlackSix or Luthier

With the latest beta patch coming out and quite a few people trying it online, I monitored the ATAG server bandwidth and noticed some very strange behavior.

There was several times throughout the day that the server was full 99/99 people so it was a great test bed to give you guys feedback. Well, before this point there was a very noticeable amount of net lag, warping planes, etc. Granted this happens regularly with the current state of the game with many many less people, but the bandwidth really struck me as quite wrong.

With 90+ players on, the server was only streaming around 2.7mbps (upload bandwidth) and around 2mbps (download bandwidth). To give you an idea, with 50-60 players, the bandwidth is usually around 8-9mbps (upload speed) and a little over 1mbps (download speed).

I understand that the sim has plenty of patching/updating to get it all sorted, but is there some sort of setting that can unlock bandwidth? I can only imagine the amount of lag being caused by some sort of network choke point - steam, IL2COD, etc??? 99 players only uploading 2.5mpbs is waaaaay off. The natural progression of things should make the server use well over 15-20mbps with that type of playerbase I would think. Just to throw this out there, the server has a 10gpbs connection. It's just waiting to stream some data. I also monitored the server cpus and they never went over 10% usage (all cores low etc.) so it's not that.

I know there have been little tidbits of info posted here and there about things to add to the confs.ini (the chat info for instance), and we figured out the skin thing to shut that off on our own, but is there some sort of setting we are missing to stop this network choke that happens with this many people? I think half the problem with the lag, long loading times to get into the server, AI flying around with no props etc., all have to do with some sort of network choke/restriction.

BlackSix, I understand you probably don't know the answer to this, but if you could please explain to Luthier or have him look at this post to give you an answer, it would be much appreciated. 46 has all sorts of server settings for anything from ping to lag, etc.,etc., that when looking at the confs.ini for IL2COD there's hardly anything we can do. I completely understand if there is no solution in place to fix this atm, but if there's something that would help the situation, some line to add to the config, some specified netspeed setting (I've tried them all), it would be a huge benefit if we knew about it. All I can ask is that you forward this and try to get back to us.

Thanks!

PS - flew 8 hours in a row tonight without a single launcher crash. Good stuff from the new patch from me!

ATAG Forums + Stats
Old 05-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAG_Bliss View Post
PS - flew 8 hours in a row tonight without a single launcher crash. Good stuff from the new patch from me!
Ecuse me for the off-topic but...

I would be so dead if I do this...
Old 05-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcenzano View Post
Ecuse me for the off-topic but...

I would be so dead if I do this...
Agreed. This is simply nuts. You can't pause in multiplayer... and it means you can't eat or even go to a toilet
Old 05-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Approved Member

Haha - I took plenty of breaks. Basically what I meant was I never shut the game off, was always connected to the server for 8 hours and never had a CTD. Others were in the same boat once they got the patch installed correctly

ATAG Forums + Stats
Old 05-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Approved Member

i personally never take a break and i piss into a bottle for more realism
Old 05-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibo View Post
i personally never take a break and i piss into a bottle for more realism
You...you have a bottle?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Approved Member

HI!

yesterday was in ATAG, and it was impossible to play :S

I usually have a 200+ ping, yesterday it was 170, so im used to some warping in atag, but yesterday it was unflyable. Dispite the fact i was flying with 80 fps, the terrain moved in chunks as if it was at 10 fps. planes were warping all over for times as high as 5 seconds, as if i was disconnected.

i shared this experience with my 4 squad mates who were online. it seems to me something got broken in online code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAG_Bliss View Post
Others were in the same boat once they got the patch installed correctly
hi!, i've seen you and others talking about "installing it correctly". i have both the fps increase and the most common bugs, but i also get an extraordinary ammount of CTD's.

what have i missed?

done:
-installing the folder, saying yes to all the replace.
-deleting chace and conf.ini.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Approved Member

Isn't bandwidth per user limited in confs.ini file by speed= setting?

What happens if you increase it?

Last edited by Ataros; 05-06-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Approved Member

Didnt ATAG enable skin download last night? I was on for a few minutes and i noticed that message from one of you ATAG members.

Skins + Dogfight server = big no no

Skins + Coop server = small no no

Skins + offline = you can use pink skins at will

Downloading skins to all players will make any trillionbyte server warp. It has always been like that. No matter what. Or all players have the skins or Mr Spock is called to the bridge.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Approved Member

Speaking of skins, yesterday I tested the patch on some server with external views on. I experienced a huge freeze when a skin on an aircraft I was watching appeared. Probably the skin issue is back.