Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilon_x View Post
Oh man, excellent graphs, thanks. We want some videos from Oleg too, don't we?
Old 09-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Approved Member

Nice videos...

I've been waiting for a comment on the size of the FSX pilots, they look good !

The aircraft models in SoW:BoB are far in advance of these FSX ones.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDNT View Post
"You can find the old CFS series here."

To say it frankly and directly, I've always found that the ground textures in CFS looks at low altitudes like some kind of cat's vomit. Impossible for me !

But here, with FSX, if the devs would transform it in a combat sim, I would buy it in a heartbeat, as I'm especially sensible to ground modeling/texturing and clouds rendition (the feeling of "being there").
Hehehe : Agree with the cat puke

I found in FSX there's too many texture glitches (River Thames has large blockages) and the colours/colors look like a kiddies comic book.

The whole things dependant on 3rd party dev's and pay to fly addons planes scenery etc etc its just a mess, and to even think about an online version LOL madness !!!

At best its only offline little 3 plane BoB thing.

Oh and I love the American in vid 1 saying " the Spitfire looks like a Hurricane " Blasphemy !!!!!

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 09-15-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Approved Member

Whilst generally the terrain mesh used in FSX would be the same as back in 1940 the modern aerial photography and satellite images used to generate those wonderful after market textures will be less accurate, especially over Europe, and the buildings structures and airports entirely wrong.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:16 AM
Approved Member

FSX is good for a different type of flying. What FSX lacks is proper FMs in some regimes of the flight envelope and because it covers the entire planet, concessions had to be made in regards to ground detail. Don't forget it's a 2006 title that had to run on hardware of that time and even today, there are still PCs that struggle. There are countless options to edit in the configuration files, but only recently have people been able to decipher most of them and that's usually through trial and error or even direct but unofficial feedback from the FSX devs, as officialy MS has abandoned it.

That being said and despite its shortcomings, the only reason i don't have FSX is because it's too dependant on 3rd party applications and that makes it a very expensive hobby. One person can be flying 2-3 other simulators with the associated peripherals for the same amount of money needed to bring FSX up to speed. Seriously, some of the payware planes are so advanced that not only they have FMs that correct the stock FSX FM glitches, but also if you happen to fly one of them you'll never want to fly one of the stock MS planes again.

I regularly fly it on a friend's PC when visiting him. We don't do airline long distance flights as it's mostly about programming and monitoring the automatic navigation systems and for a prop-head like me, that's not enough hands-on flying...people who fly Black Shark or Falcon4 would like the complex electronics though. What we do that's great fun, is getting down and dirty in smaller, slow planes or twin engined executive prop planes, bush flying around my hometown in small GA aircraft equipped with amphibious floats, landing in rivers or mountains in bad weather, etc, especially if you have a buddy with you to play "virtual copilot" and set some guidelines for an ad-hoc mission to follow. For example, you can set bad weather and start off in a ski-equiped plane with the aim of landing in a slopped mountain ridge just before night fall, pretending you are a rescue pilot looking for stranded climbers. This was a totally new aspect of flight simming for me, as up to that point all i ever did was combat sims. However, having the ability to simulate events that are much closer and much more likely to occur to out real lives than being a WW2 fighter pilot, is something i found refreshing and quite fun.

One time we made a 10 hour flight in a Catalina in the span of three afternoons, starting from Bahamas and navigating VOR to VOR over Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic all the way to St. Maarten while exhancing places behind the controls. One person would fly while the other was taking care of snacks, cigarettes and beer supplies
Old 09-16-2010, 03:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
One time we made a 10 hour flight in a Catalina in the span of three afternoons, starting from Bahamas and navigating VOR to VOR over Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic all the way to St. Maarten while exhancing places behind the controls. One person would fly while the other was taking care of snacks, cigarettes and beer supplies

Now that sounds like a real blast.