Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Approved Member

Default Green Dye for Downed Airmen?

Just wondering how downed airmen (in the sea) will be modelled. Would be great if they can set off their green dye markers. Did they have flares too? And will AI rescue craft rush out to meet them, if their position has been reported? Lots of thoughts/possibilities here.

green dye marker from liferaft

PPanPan
Old 09-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Approved Member

Question Downed Pilots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPanPan View Post
Just wondering how downed airmen (in the sea) will be modelled. Would be great if they can set off their green dye markers. Did they have flares too? And will AI rescue craft rush out to meet them, if their position has been reported? Lots of thoughts/possibilities here.
PPanPan
Do you mean IL2 v4.10 or SOW?
From what I've read, GB didn't have any dedicated air-sea rescue planes until 1941 and the pilots had a simple and ineffective 'Mae West' and a whistle in the BofB.
The shooting down of German Red Cross 'planes is notorious of course, and I seem to recall the German pilots had dinghies and dye, maybe flares - not sure.
There are some stories of German pilots being shot at whilst in the water too, although even in a game I wouldn't do this!!
I'd imagine that if you did spot dye in the water, you could hang around for the rescue plane and shoot that instead, as per historical rumour!
Old 09-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Approved Member

Default I presume the SOW BOB is what is in question.

Regarding the sea rescue ( I'm on holiday and have no references!) the Walrus and PT-boats springs to mind, On the other side there where “Shnelboots” and some kind of FW sea-rescue and some kind of huge buoy in which a downed airman could take shelter and call for help. Could have been British, not sure. And as I recall it was the Brits who on Churchill's order started the shooting on red cross airplanes.
Regarding the dye I'm not sure they had that at the time. We had it on our live-vests in Sweden in the 70s and I had great fun as I colored the fountain in our city square lemon green!
Bye the way the German vest made of Kapok where regarded as superior to the Brits inflatable ones as they could be punctured.

Regards

Viking
Old 09-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Approved Member

Hi Dutch_851

Sorry, I meant SoW. I thought I had read somewhere that RAF pilots did have fluorescent dye but you may be right that it wasn't in time for 1940. I am sure I read in one of my RAF pilot memoires about the green dye, but it may well have been later in the war. Will have to check my sources! Found this which is pretty interesting ... http://battleofbritain.devhub.com/bl...-pilot-rescue/ and which concurs with what you say.

Cheers

PPanPan
Old 09-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
Regarding the sea rescue ...
Hi Viking,

Sweden in the 70s sounded fun! Yes, I think the Germans were much better equipped in terms of SAR at the outset of the war. Interesting you mention the superior German life vests. Brian Kingcome (RAF Spitfire pilot, 92 Sqn) wrote about how he visited the crash site of a German bomber he downed and helped himself to one of the crew's life vests as he knew it was better than RAF issue. He wore the German vest on all subsequent sorties I believe.

PPanPan
Old 09-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Regarding the sea rescue ( I'm on holiday and have no references!) the Walrus and PT-boats springs to mind, On the other side there where “Shnelboots” and some kind of FW sea-rescue and some kind of huge buoy in which a downed airman could take shelter and call for help. Could have been British, not sure. And as I recall it was the Brits who on Churchill's order started the shooting on red cross airplanes.
Hope you're enjoying your hols!
The Walrus was employed by the Fleet Air Arm for ship to shore comms and personnel transport at this point AFAIK.
It was quite disgraceful that a maritime nation had no Air-Sea rescue service.
Lysanders were sent out to search, and would point boats in the right direction if the pilots were lucky. Very few British pilots were recovered from the channel if they ditched.
The Germans had the Red Cross Heinkel 59 seaplanes, and it was the Germans who placed the 'Lobster Pot' buoys in the Channel, complete with beds and stores.
It wasn't exactly 'Churchill's Orders' regarding shooting the He59's down, but part of British Defence policy, and fully supported by Churchill and Air Chief Marshall Dowding.

See Stephen Bungay's excellent 'The Most Dangerous Enemy', published by Aurum - page 155.

''Dowding States:- 'We had to make it known to the Germans that we could not countenance the use of the Red Cross in this manner. They were engaged in rescuing combatants and taking them back to fight again, and they were also in a position, if granted immunity, to make valuable reconnaisance reports. In spite of this, surviving crews of these aircraft appeared to be surprised and aggrieved at being shot down.'''

I think I'd be surprised and aggrieved too.
Although when the British did set up a dedicated air-sea rescue service, they carried standard military markings and camouflage, and were therefore not asking for any special privilege, so the British policy was adhered to from our side also.

Last edited by ATAG_Dutch; 09-14-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: spilling
Old 09-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Approved Member

Wasn´t shooting at downed pilots forbidden by all AFs during WWII?(Except for some japanese pilots that shot at US pilots in mid air)
Also shooting at medics and those stuff?

And what is that dye made of?I suppose its good to pollute the sea...
Old 09-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Approved Member

Default Not only DF please!

What I really, really would appreciate for SOW is the possibility to plan and fly missions of rescue, photo reconnaissance, meteorological info etc. Not just to turn and turn and.. in an ever slower and boring dogfight.(Me getting old I guess!)
I just loved the planing I could do in “Tornado”and then just sit back and watch as the plan worked out, or didn't most of the times!

Regards
Viking
Old 09-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
What I really, really would appreciate for SOW is the possibility to plan and fly missions of rescue, photo reconnaissance, meteorological info etc ...
Viking
Couldn't agree more. See one of my earlier posts ...

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...&postcount=175

and more importantly, Luthier's reply ...

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...&postcount=182

PPanPan
Old 09-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

Ohooo! That sounds more than promising

Khap kuna khap! As they say here in Thailand.

Viking