Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantishek View Post
And your expectations are too low.

Most of the people in this forum have seen films of REAL aircraft on fire, with the poor souls on board, going down. They have a good idea what it looks like.

Storm of War is a game/sim based on REALITY. To shortcut major effects like a realistic fire effect destroys the simulated reality this game tries to deliver, and what you, me, and everyone else will pay a huge amount for (including price of hardware).

You, winny, are in NO position to make a judgment call on this, nor am I to insist it should be done different. It's completely up to Oleg and team to decide if it's good or needs more polish.

If you disagree with me, make it brief, don't fill out topics with useless chatter wasting everyone time to read it, including Oleg's.

Thank you.
I'm pretty sure the devs also know what fire looks like. Fill out topics with useless chatter!? I've posted less than 10 times on here. I stand by what I said.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Approved Member

Just one question: Do you really insist that Oleg should move more people from making physics, damage or map-modeling to create more realistic flames, smoke and explosions that render at 80FPS on your medicore PC?

How else would you describe your ... input as constructive criticism?
Old 09-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Approved Member

It's Oleg's choice whether the contructive-critiscism is used or not. Whine all you want after every post or every topic where someone posts something that they feel can be tweaked. All you comment does is turn a perfectly acceptable topic/post sour. If you think the person(s) are polluting the topic by saying their knit-picks, then your doing the same by starting the same argument every week.

Some people feel that constructive crticism is helpful; others don't, and then again other people have different measures for it. We're all different and similar in many ways, so you can't please everyone with every-post. So please, stop slamming others when they write a post. Just leave it out, and you'll find the forum will be a lot friendlier.

Here's an example; if I hadn't told Oleg (and another person I know on this forum told Oleg too) that the RAF flight kit on the pilot was wrong, then it would still be today. Now, it was his decision whether it should be changed or not, but he thought it should be so I sent a load of info for him to use.
There-we go; that's a prime example of how these updates can be used to tweak a product. Even if SoW is released soon and no further changes are made to the released-product, there will be patches. It's all one massive development cycle.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Approved Member

Has Oleg ever given you guys a reply to your weekly whining? No he hasn't. It makes it pretty clear to me he is ignoring your ridiculous requests and nick picking solutions as he knows it's impossible to please you all. Every week there are pictures posted with WIP explained in the blurb above and some people take that as a green light to buff up there chest and declare that this is wrong and that needs changing.

I can tell when someone with real knowledge suggests something that is correct as Oleg and Luthier always take time to reply to them or fix what was wrong. Take csThor's request this week about the markings, he was replied to in two posts with an answer, have you guys ever gotten an answer?
Old 09-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Approved Member

Oleg does listen and Oleg does reply - when he has time. I have sent pictures and information to Oleg for BoB SoW and he has a) used the info. and b) replied personally about it.

It is worthwhile posting constructive criticism in a measured way backed up with evidence. Frantishek is picking up on a small point but he is going about it in the right way. I'm with him on this one.

RedToo.

43 Squadron.

My 'Waiting for Clodo' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Last edited by RedToo; 09-11-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Approved Member

I'm sorry, I didn't realise the open forum could read my e-mails....
the answer is this; yes, personal replys have been given by Oleg. recently, I cant say, they are just too busy.

Oleg will reply if he wants to. No-one can explain either way the reasons why he won't. Many aspects of the sim have been changed following on from peoples comments, without any real conversation coming from Oleg. Take the 110 model for example; he exhanged a few posts with Zorin, but nothing really more than that (unless they went into e-mails). Aspects have been changed and probably will be after release if Il-2 is anything to go by. But recently, you may be correct, perhaps they get annoyed; but all they need to do is say so much or have the topic locked with no discussion.

I have yet to see the full RAF pilot to know if Oleg has used my information, but he was thankful for it and it took me a long time to put it together.

Edit-red-too posted before me, but clearly we're on the same song-sheet.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Approved Member

IMO the issue is that there are two types of criticisms being leveled here: one about factual, non-subjective issues and another about subjective issues:

-"Factual issues": the issues with the Bf 110 model, German tactical codes, the modeling of the RAF flight vest, etc. Those are all well and good. Back when I was modeling the He 162 cockpit, I had to correct Oleg on a couple of mistakes that were made with the textures, and they were duly fixed. The point is that, with these, it's easy to overlook things or make mistakes, so it's good to see the community point out problems such as these.

-"Subjective Issues" : these are the ones that the community gets bogged down in and, frankly, makes me (and probably the dev team as well) laugh. "The Hurricane pilot is too small" (followed by endless pictures of Hurricane pilots, without any context given); "the terrain is too washed-out; "the aircraft textures are too low-detailed," etc., etc.

Now, if 1C and Oleg were entirely new to the flight sim scene, then maybe I'd see the validity in such criticism. But come on, they've been in this business for how long now? They're not idiots. Oleg is an amateur photographer, and Ilya (Luthier) is no dummy either. They don't need people pointing out to them week after week after week after week the same old things that are obviously WIP.

WIP, as in "Work in Progress." As in, "not finalized, still being altered." Some people have a hard time understanding that, and it's a big reason why other developers like Battlefront hardly put out any WIP images at all.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Approved Member

Actually, I agree with you in many sense Luke, but I have noticed some things in terms of the environment here in Britain that are different to other countries.

The first is clouds. Clouds in temperate countries like Britain look quite a lot different than ones, say, in a place like Russia or a hot country like Egypt. Of course some may read this and laugh, as it is quite a specific thing to focus on compared to the wider aspect of the sim, but it can make all the difference.
The other thing is colours. Of course the colours of grass and the way fields are like will be different in England than a foreign country. Grass colour is quite an anal thing to focus on, I know, but the grass does look quite green and seeing as though the BoB went on throughout one of britain's hottest summers, then really I feel that the grass should look drier.

obviously to some gamers these things matter, others don't notice them. Let's say SoW was released before we saw all these updates, we/I would never focus on these details unless it came about the sim could be improved in pactches. The one thing about being able to view these pictures over and over every friday is that we end of scrutinizing them. We can't see how the sim operates, and so we can;t realize what it's like in game. Even if the game were paused and one moved the camera slightly, things would look a lot different and we'd be better able to comment.

So really every comment needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. All we can really do is comment on what we see. It's up to Oleg, Luthier and the team to decide whether our comments are beneficial or not.

But yes, I will level with you; it must be annoying to some to see similar comments every week about the same things (terrain, colours etc etc). But until there is a comment by Oleg or Luthier, I know it will continue. WIP is a general term, so we can only presume that it applies to everything. But really our comments are just there to help them tweak the sim. Boblast (I think) posted an excellent colour shot from just after the BoB (from Life magazine) which really shows how the colours could be optimized. I will point out to Oleg, though, that the RAF pilot gear there is post-BoB or either pilot modified

I think we could write and debate all day, and it may be a learning curve for some, but boring for others. Ultimately, we'd all like to see the sim soon just to be able to see what it is really like. A video update just showing the current state of the sim would be a lot of minds at rest
Old 09-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Approved Member

Btw. Oleg has incorporated numerous feedback over the years. He is incredibly responsive (given development schedules and funding). Some of my requests were even included.

I'm sure that they are spending too much time checking feedback given that most features must be almost fixed by this point in development (and given that they've been collecting input for it for almost a decade).

It is quite wise of them to use Luthier's weaker machine for screenshots - when they show state of the art screenshots criticism will turn into hype (right before release).

Under promising and over delivering - while still keeping this forum overfed.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Approved Member

I dont see flames coming out of the pilots cabin....