Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Approved Member

Regarding grass colour; being English doesn't matter. It's living in the country and seeing the grass every-day I'd never say I am English in a boastful way

But yes, the tone of the thread may be quite 'in your face', but it's quite an interesting subject that's been raised IMO.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winny View Post
I have no problem with people expressing views. You have a point about the grass. I'm not one for censorship either. I'm just pointing out that there are better ways to get your point across. Sorry for singleing you out but I just found it bizarre that you had to justify your opinion by stating that you were an englishman. You're a regular poster and I'm sure that if the devs were not aware of the problem of the grass coulour, that if you'd just said 'I think the grass is too green', they would look and think oh ok. I would never have mentioned it otherwise. I was using it as an example of where this forum is at.
I know where you are coming from though so no need to back down on this. It seems that people find issues every week just to spout some assine comment that makes them feel better. The worst ones are the people who repeat whats wrong with colour after Oleg/Luthier said it was WIP and not to worry about it. The best thing to do is ignore these people like Oleg does as if you notice he does reply to good posts but never to this nonsense.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Approved Member

What´s all this fuzz about?? He just wants to point out that the flames seem to be generated by the pilot´s seat, which is of course not the source for so much fire. Looking to the scale model it shows that the fuel tanks are placed some more in the aft of the plane. I´m no expert when it comes to planes on fire, and hopefully will never become, but maybe its intersting to know what sources near the pilot could cause so much fire.. maybe oxygen bottles?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
What´s all this fuzz about?? He just wants to point out that the flames seem to be generated by the pilot´s seat, which is of course not the source for so much fire. Looking to the scale model it shows that the fuel tanks are placed some more in the aft of the plane. I´m no expert when it comes to planes on fire, and hopefully will never become, but maybe its intersting to know what sources near the pilot could cause so much fire.. maybe oxygen bottles?
If this was a photograph of a real Fw-200 then all of these questions would be valid. However, this is what happens to an FW-200 in SoW when it catches fire, because that's how they've programed it, and, no doubt, the countless other aircraft in the game. the fire has to be able to happen at anytime and any number of times during a game. To expect 100% photorealistic flames on demand, on top of everything else this sofware has to do is stupid. To then take it down to what's flammable and whats not inside the individual aircraft is again a symptom of unrealistic expectations and pointless over-complications that seem the norm.

I can still tell the difference between a million dollar hollywood CGI explosion and a real explosion. Your expectations are too high.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Your expectations are too high.

And then some.

And Oleg? Hes only made a living of of this for decades so what the hell does he know, right?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Approved Member

Я,indeed,the front gunner seems to have two MGs,but that´s the shadow.

And I know this will surely enrage the community,but I tought the fire in SoW too be too graphic/too artificial.IL2 fire looks more authentic.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
If this was a photograph of a real Fw-200 then all of these questions would be valid. However, this is what happens to an FW-200 in SoW when it catches fire, because that's how they've programed it, and, no doubt, the countless other aircraft in the game. the fire has to be able to happen at anytime and any number of times during a game. To expect 100% photorealistic flames on demand, on top of everything else this sofware has to do is stupid. To then take it down to what's flammable and whats not inside the individual aircraft is again a symptom of unrealistic expectations and pointless over-complications that seem the norm.

I can still tell the difference between a million dollar hollywood CGI explosion and a real explosion. Your expectations are too high.
And your expectations are too low.

Most of the people in this forum have seen films of REAL aircraft on fire, with the poor souls on board, going down. They have a good idea what it looks like.

Storm of War is a game/sim based on REALITY. To shortcut major effects like a realistic fire effect destroys the simulated reality this game tries to deliver, and what you, me, and everyone else will pay a huge amount for (including price of hardware).

You, winny, are in NO position to make a judgment call on this, nor am I to insist it should be done different. It's completely up to Oleg and team to decide if it's good or needs more polish.

If you disagree with me, make it brief, don't fill out topics with useless chatter wasting everyone time to read it, including Oleg's.

Thank you.

Last edited by Flying Pencil; 09-11-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Storm of War is a game/sim based on REALITY.
But are your expectations of it based on reality? Just how often do you expect to be flying an aircraft close enough to a burning bomber to be able to see that the flames are 2m further forward than you'd expect them to be? If minor details are that significant to you, I'd suggest you avoid computer simulations. They don't model reality exactly. They can't. They never will. Some of us have enough imagination to accept this, and enjoy them for what they are.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:15 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
But are your expectations of it based on reality? Just how often do you expect to be flying an aircraft close enough to a burning bomber to be able to see that the flames are 2m further forward than you'd expect them to be? If minor details are that significant to you, I'd suggest you avoid computer simulations. They don't model reality exactly. They can't. They never will. Some of us have enough imagination to accept this, and enjoy them for what they are.
+1, exactly.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantishek View Post
Between the bomb cells and fuselage are oxygen bottles, and between the cells along the catwalk is a hydraulic tank, both of which will provide ample fuel sources (ok ok, 1 is an oxidizer).

There is also some electrical circuits that could short and burn too.
You wrote the answer to all this here yourself I think. Fuel isn't the only thing that can cause a fire in an aircraft.

Oxygen, ammunition, electrical equipment - all can start fires. Maybe smaller than a full-on fuel conflagration to start with - but small fires can get bigger FAST, and set off oxygen bottles, etc.

Also, I think the flames really are looking fine - it's very hard to judge in a static screenshot how the full in-motion effect will come across.

Plus, despite having seen this in a few updates now I'm STILL blown away by the depiction of fire within the fuselage. Have read many stories about aircrew's terror of the possibility of fire and now for the first time in a flightsim we have something that really gets that across. Fire effects in il2 had a sort of bolted on, 'abstract' quality about them.

But this really gets across that visceral terror thing I think. Raises the question of how it will appear from first person perspective to a crewman inside the plane?!

Also - expect to see cockpit fires in single-seat fighters.

Last edited by kendo65; 09-11-2010 at 07:52 AM.