Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Approved Member

Default Friday Update September 8th 2010 Request

If at-all possible could we see some of the atmospheric effects, particularly cloud-types, cloud backgrounds, storms and weather effects please?

Wondering if it has been possible to get authentic cloud shapes and also if, like they do in Wings of Prey, when you fly through a cloud, water particles appear on the glass.

I know I shouldn't ask for a video of it.....but can we have a video of uit if possible too?

Just asking, cheers, MP
Old 09-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Approved Member

From my experience graphical effects are implemented and tuned when everything else is close to finish. I doubt SoW has reached this state, yet.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Approved Member

lol... how about mission editor? AI commands... Cockpit presentations... ground operations... cities... is there any city, even a small one ready? I don't think so... cos if it was... we would have seen one till now...

Hey... look... London... x suburbs... zip... nada...

just random pics with "blue" planes on fire... IL2 fire mind you... oh... and trees with leafs the size of cars... and ground with popping props that looks like RTS 5 years ago... and no AA... not invented yet... yada yada

heh... sorry... I am very pessimistic and I will not be surprised by an announcement of cancellation of the project.

my one cent...
Old 09-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Approved Member

somebody got out of bed the wrong way this morning........
Old 09-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Approved Member

Errr... Friday is - September 10th.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 09-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
and also if, like they do in Wings of Prey, when you fly through a cloud, water particles appear on the glass.
By the way too bad this effect is ridiculously overdone...One has the feeling someone is emptying a bucket of glycerin on your windshield!

In real life the droplets are many and minuscule, and would probably translate by a loss of transparency when seen from a pilot eye on a computer screen. On the other hand, noise level should increase with the density of rain...

And lastly not all clouds give you water droplets: basically it has to be raining...and then you do not always need to be in the cloud to get your plane wet: it also works below the cloud!

I would like to see the effect of a rain-soaked landscape: I have never seen a simulation or even a FPS able (or maybe just willing) to render well this effect (slight increase in color saturation if sun present, increasingly reflective soaked surfaces, -muddy- water puddles, appearance of mud, rain related loss of atmospheric transparency...).
Rain and falling water is now described reasonably well in some FPS, the rest of the effects are not AFAIK...and this would increase immersion incredibly!

JV

Last edited by JVM; 09-08-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaelu View Post
lol... how about mission editor? AI commands... Cockpit presentations... ground operations... cities... is there any city, even a small one ready? I don't think so... cos if it was... we would have seen one till now...

Hey... look... London... x suburbs... zip... nada...

just random pics with "blue" planes on fire... IL2 fire mind you... oh... and trees with leafs the size of cars... and ground with popping props that looks like RTS 5 years ago... and no AA... not invented yet... yada yada

heh... sorry... I am very pessimistic and I will not be surprised by an announcement of cancellation of the project.

my one cent...
I'm not saying you are right, and I have not been waiting for SoW as long as most of you have, but I have waited for a sequel title that took 10 years with many changes of direction, cancellations, and re-starts.

Those of us waiting for that title were sure it was around the corner for a long time. A lot of money had been put into development, etc.. No way it would get canceled, but it did. The main reason back then was a competing title (Battlefield 1942) that came out first. Getting beat to the punch, the developers went back to the drawing board. What eventually came out was good but was nothing like the original concept and it took more than 10 years.

I'm not saying this is what is happening with SoW and I don't think it is. I am just saying don't laugh away the possibility. Heck, a competing company might buy out 1C and put out their own title. You just never know.

Knowing what little I know of X-Plane (a non-combat flight sim), the real money for them is in handheld applications these days. It seems they develop the PC game (Apple too) just so they can port it over to handheld apps. Maybe 1C is looking in this market too. We don't know.

So keep an open mind. Until we see video, a dedicated web site, and other indications people have mentioned...there are no guarantees. I just started playing IL-2 a couple months ago in preparation for SoW, but I also figure I have at least five years of "enjoyment" from that game until I have maxed it out like some of you original players. I HOPE the release is imminent, but I am not betting the farm on it lol.

Splitter

Last edited by Splitter; 09-08-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Approved Member

Luckily or unfortunately there appears to be no competing projects.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
Luckily or unfortunately there appears to be no competing projects.
Gives them all the time they want - but money...
Old 09-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Approved Member

Mystic Puma is a good sort, but he forgets that Oleg will not want to show DCS exactly what he means to do, whilst they can still possibly implement his ideas.

Have faith, people.