Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Approved Member

Default SOW - graphics questions and propositions

Hello all!

This thread has for purpose to regroup questions and ideas regarding the graphics and FX of SOW.

Off course a simulation isn't all about graphics, still very solid graphics are important for immersion and new customers.

So for starters :

1/ Will SOW implement volumetric light scattering (god rays!)?

2/ If (1/) yes, what kind? All together?
- Objects version
In many games the light itself is projected : Crysis, FarCry, Silent Hunter V, etc, and clouds are generally not affected, only "objects".

- Clouds version
In Hawx 1 PC version, clouds get in Dx10 an "in-air" shadow, that looks very good, helping getting an impression of depth (if I recall correctly, Il-2 introduced cloud shadows, this version of volumetric light scattering would be the evolution of it!).

Without, baaaah... :

In movement, it looks really better :

- Soft aspect
The best volumetric light scattering I have seen so far is in Birds of Prey from 1C, PC version. They managed to make it subtile, clean and soft. I'd even say : perfect. To bad it only affects planes, and not clouds.

More pictures and explanations are regrouped in this thread :
http://forum.yuplay.com/index.php?showtopic=676

3/ Will SOW recreate many types of explosions FX?
Most of the time computer games have little variety of FX explosions, resulting in some boredom by seeing always the same thing.
I hope that bombs won't have the same FX considering their different type of chemistry, and it goes for planes, impacts and stuff.

All I wish is variety in FX (and please, particles) and if possible, some kind of random generated explosions, so that every explosion would look a little different every time.

Also, upcomming game Call of Dut Black Ops features the best looking explosions with smoke I've seen so far : watch the helicopter part (3:16 to the end of the video).

4/ Will SOW feature explosion heat and shockwave effect?
I explain : in almost all games seen around, when something near or not so far away explodes, creating a massive volume of heat and light, it is not represented (or barely noticable): it doesen't either blind or confuse you. Like if you where wearing some kind of scifi glasses and no brain emotion...

A video may better explain what kind of effect I'd wish to see implemented, from Lost Planet 2 :

Thank you for reading these thoughts, and I hope it will give ideas to the team for improving SOW graphical aspects.

If SOW could feature all these tweaks, I'm confident that it would bring new customers, attracted by impressive and immersive realtime footage visuals.

...And of course, I'd be delighted ^^. Anyone else?
Old 09-03-2010, 12:34 PM
speculum jockey

If SOW is on track, then all of these suggestions are sort of pointless since the game should be pretty much ready to be released (sept-oct release). If the game is not on track then there might be time to do some of these additions, but I'd be more worried since Oleg mentioned in an interview that November was a time when it might have to be released due to financial reasons.

Also, I wonder how many of those explosions you posted are actually 3d. Your helicopter never gets any closer and you only see them from pretty much one perspective. Maybe they are 3d, but maybe there are only something like 4 predetermined explosions and if you were to overfly one it would look strange.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Approved Member

As Oleg said once, graphics tweaking are done at the end of the production, a few weaks before release. So there is time for shaders.

About the explosions seen in Call of Duty Black Ops, they are, like in 95% of games, a predetermined explosion, and I believe that seen from above they would still look as good. All depends on if they added a Z to the particles.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Approved Member

mmm god rays
Old 09-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Approved Member

A very interesting topic to read, thankyou Whether or not SoW is close to release, these are all interesting additions which could appear in update patches.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Approved Member

I would imagine this go around they are just polishing out the graphics and special effects. Remember IL2 didn't get the water we have in the game until Pacific Fighters. I'm sure things will continue to tweak and we may see some enhancments later on.

While I agree Graphics are important for me they take a bit of a back seat to other critical areas of the game.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Approved Member

Well I hope the team will read this and give their opinion, and maybe at least give them some ideas for FX and shader rendering

If anybody has other good FX and shader examples that should suit SOW, please post them here with pictures and videos like I did, it helps understanding!
Old 09-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

This is my first post, usually happy to keep quiet. I really enjoy the updates by the team, see the progress and quite happy to wait for whatever the final release is, but some of the posters, comments and stupid requests are just so maddening!

Look, I love the recent CODMW2 et al releases; the graphics are great (for a FPS).
Tom Clancy's whatever it is - - I wouldn't even bother to look at the box in the shop. That vid looks absolutely horrendous.

When SOW comes out, it’ll be a COMBAT FLIGHT SIMULATOR ! And I'm sure it will be fantastic. It'll be a lot like IL2, but better. It'll fly like IL2 but maybe even a bit better. Whatever it looks like, let's face it, it's going to be better and it was great to start with.

If you want it to look like an arcade game, SOW won't be for you my friend.

Please stop with all these personal requests. Whatever will be - will be.

Have faith in the man and the team.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Tree_UK

We have faith brother, Oleg has always said that SOW will be 'Cinematic' and I believe him even though im not really seeing it yet.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
We have faith brother, Oleg has always said that SOW will be 'Cinematic' and I believe him even though im not really seeing it yet.
I agree SOW is not looking Cinematic yet, and probably won't for a couple of years. I don't believe computers are strong enough yet to display cinematic scenery, with complex AI, hundreds of aircraft, moving weather patterns, complex damage, and weapons ballistics. etc.

That said, what we have so far, is a magnificent base to eventually reach cinematic quality.

I know I was disappointed that there were no riverbanks in one of the screen shots. This feature is huge for a feel of depth in the terrain.