Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Approved Member

Or hard core:
If your copy of xp is sp2 on the original disk, I suggest you load that and then don't bother to update it unless you have a particular and dying need to. XP SP3 update seemed to me to be full of the crap that made vista such a loved operating system! It just seems to be drm protection for Hollywood studios and other such monopoly interests, i.e. those who have paid M$ to prevent other software running properly which is against their financial interests.
Also google "data execution prevention" and disable it. Some will tell you that this is inadvisable but if you use Firefox as your web browser and have antivirus and a good firewall, (Outpost has a free version), you will be ok. I've also turned off windows update and any other nagware of m$. No more problems running any software and none of this "you don't have permission" nonsense.
But then I only use windows to play Il2 and use Ubuntu for everything else, it's better and FREE! and will install over windows so that you can dual boot into windows or Ubuntu.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:10 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_851 View Post
With Win7, don't install it in Program (x86) files and it should be ok.
I created a seperate folder for PC games and installed it in that using the a.exe as above.
Run as administrator in XPSP3 compatibility. Turning off UAC helps too.
That's for 1946.
Forgotten Battles you can install in (x86) and it runs fine.
I can't load the original IL2 at all, but then it has no TrackIR capability anyway (Download latest TrackIR drivers from Naturalpoint).
There are some serious driver issues posted elsewhere if your card is ATI, which can prevent the game running if you manage to install it ok.
This might be your XP problem also.
If none of this works, posting on M4T is a good bet, there's a guy called MaxMghz on the tech help who is invaluable.
It took me ages to get the thing running in Win7 too, for what it's worth!
Good Luck!
P.S. It's always worth getting a new disc anyway as they're so cheap now, one of my problems was solved by doing this. Don't ask me why, it's too long a story!! (And a bit embarrassing!)

Thanks.... FIgured it out... it appears to be the latest (for my machine anyway) ATI video drivers.. reverted to older drivers and it runs now.. was probably the same issue for Win 7, but since I don't plan to throw out my TRACKIR, its back to XP. Thanks for the advice..
Old 09-14-2010, 02:11 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameson View Post
Or hard core:
If your copy of xp is sp2 on the original disk, I suggest you load that and then don't bother to update it unless you have a particular and dying need to. XP SP3 update seemed to me to be full of the crap that made vista such a loved operating system! It just seems to be drm protection for Hollywood studios and other such monopoly interests, i.e. those who have paid M$ to prevent other software running properly which is against their financial interests.
Also google "data execution prevention" and disable it. Some will tell you that this is inadvisable but if you use Firefox as your web browser and have antivirus and a good firewall, (Outpost has a free version), you will be ok. I've also turned off windows update and any other nagware of m$. No more problems running any software and none of this "you don't have permission" nonsense.
But then I only use windows to play Il2 and use Ubuntu for everything else, it's better and FREE! and will install over windows so that you can dual boot into windows or Ubuntu.
Probably good advice.. I only use windows to play IL2 and run a couple speciality programs anyway, so don't need all the windows add on junk.... Next time around I'll just do the default XP2 and leave the rest off.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:46 AM
Approved Member

Track IR doesn't run in the X86 folder either?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
Thanks.... FIgured it out... it appears to be the latest (for my machine anyway) ATI video drivers.. reverted to older drivers and it runs now.. was probably the same issue for Win 7, but since I don't plan to throw out my TRACKIR, its back to XP. Thanks for the advice..
The TrackIR bit is weirder than the IL2 bit in a way.
Mine went straight into x86 but wouldn't work in win7 with the driver provided on the disc.
I downloaded v5 from their website and had instant success, but that was only when I realised it had defaulted to trackclip pro and I was using trackclip ordinary. Which was probably the problem in the first place and I hadn't noticed.
I never use the pro-clip. Too many wires.