Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
I know these ideas sound crazy,
No, it doesn't sound crazy, actually there is a system that does most of that for IL2 already, the SEOW:

http://www.seowhq.net/

I've flown a few SEOW campaigns with my online squadron, and to me that is the very best way to use IL2 there is.

Visit No 79 Squadron vRAF

Petter Bøckman
Norway
Old 09-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Approved Member

I have heard of SEOW before, but i didn't know it was so advanced. Imagine having built-in support for something like that in SoW, on a persistent server. Instead of having 8 different maps a day, we could have an entire battle for a couple of weeks.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novotny View Post
Actually, I think you'll find that the likes of both Nvidia and ATI PR will be falling over themselves to ensure that their cards run this well, just as they do with every major release.

Do you really think Oleg doesn't have top ends cards from both teams?
from previous statements oleg indicated they are primarily focusing on nvidia and not ati during development. iirc they are in contact with nvidia directly, and might even have received cards from them for BoB development purposes. obviously they do keep "ati bug checking" to and its not as if they can ignore 50% of the market, but it is 2e priority and largely the game is developed with more optimization for nvidia (i think that manufacturer was more cooperative)

if the game is to be released in the next couple of months, i suspect oleg is also more concerned to get decent fpsec's and optimised performance on dx9 systems right now, rather then primarily focus on the newest dx11 cards that have some selected features which might become more important later on.

that's the way i read the current situation
Old 09-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorin View Post
May I remind you of the Bf-110 errors that have been taken care?

I am sure that, given proper references are supplied and the necessary workload is not out of proportion, they will attend to any mistakes that are pointed out.
Have you ever played Transport Tycoon?

It would take months to fix the railways. It's such a big job that it probably isn't possible as a patch. It would involve finding all the O/S 1inch:1mile maps for at least the south of England for the period (probably doable but not easy), find all the railway cuttings, embankments, bridges, tunnels, level crossings, signal boxes and ideally signals (signals probably wouldn't always be shown on the maps, but could probably be guessed adequately by someone who understood the British railway system), editing all of those features into the simulated map, if there were moving road traffic animating the level crossing gates and ideally the signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton45 View Post
Their is only a couple of the things that degrade the overall quality of the conversation here, and one of them (and I think that their are a few others here who would agree with me) is the constant nitpicking over trivial issues
One man's meat is another man's poison. One person's trivia, is another person's most important aspect of the sim.

Quote:
The other thing that lowers the quality of the dialog here is the fanatics...I think we have all seen the people who post the same issues over an over again. I feel a "little" bad focusing my argument on people who obviously have a fanatical passion for the hobby, but once an observation has been voiced and the community has responded to it, their is no useful reason to keep bring it up. One starts to wonder why they have such a need to be "right"...and why they need to have everyone agree with them.
So far the response from the developers is pretty much nil on the railways, so far we've had:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier View Post
I just want to say that you guys are INSANE.
Which might have been about the pilot's headsize row, in which case he was entirely correct in my opinion (meat/poison strikes again).

I do not intend to keep on about this, but it is striking when you are at a level where such things can be seen.

There is a railway hobby, who would quite possibly be happy to operate a railway system while others flew above it, but I don't think they'd be interested in this one.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergal69 View Post
BOB - SOW is primarily a flight sim. Whilst all the attention to detail on little things sets this flight sim apart from others, like wobbling arials on tanks, most of these things will be missed by the majority of people as they are concentrating on flying rather than sight seeing.
Flight sim, for now...

I would not be surprised they release a ground war pack.
A lot of vehicles are modeled.

I think 1C is testing on a variety of hardware, and targeting for early 2009 machines, simply to have the largest customer base possible on release.

And they will likely release a huge patch a couple of months after release to fix those low priority errors, that is after the other patch for hardware compatibility issues. Very common tactic by game developers (but 1C may do it different).
Old 09-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantishek View Post
Flight sim, for now...

I would not be surprised they release a ground war pack.
A lot of vehicles are modeled.

I think 1C is testing on a variety of hardware, and targeting for early 2009 machines, simply to have the largest customer base possible on release.

And they will likely release a huge patch a couple of months after release to fix those low priority errors, that is after the other patch for hardware compatibility issues. Very common tactic by game developers (but 1C may do it different).
Its the small details in a game and the "Easter Eggs" that often make it all worthwhile.

For example in IL2 1946 it was a complete surprise to discover the trains (at least on the Slovakia map) have a steam whistle that blows when they approach a crossing or station. You can usually only here it when on the ground close to the tracks.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:53 PM
heckbomber

sorry guys no way this releases before 2012.. how do i know, simple promotion, every game has to be promoted before release and typically at a minimum whether via previews magazine articles or just announcements every game will be announced at LEAST 1 month before release, and since they arnt even ready to show us videos they sure as heck are at least 2-3 months away from announcing the release, hence Christmas is the best you could hope for at this point and even thats optimistic, my best guess right now is between Christmas and Q1 2012