Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg27_mc View Post
Howdy,

Do you remember the exact model for that Sony Bravia?

I'm currently using an HP 2509m - 25" (Full HD). I’m using IL-2, FC 2.0 @ 1920x1080 and I love it.

I also own a Samsung LCD TV Monitor (Samsung SyncMaster T260HD) that can run @ 1600x1200 but my eyes don´t see any major improvements comparing to the full HD standard. And we really loose performance (FPS decrease) comparing to the full hd. (I own I7 @ 4.0 MHZ; 6Gibs of RAM @ 1904 MHZ and ATI HD5870 1GB @ default clocks)

I’m currently thinking switching to:

Samsung UE32C6530 @ 663,90 € http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/t...ype=prd_detail

or

LG 32LE5300 @ 579,00 € http://www.lg.com/uk/tv-audio-video/...v-32LE5300.jsp

But I’m having troubles finding good reviews to both of the models above.

If Sony has a good siming equipment in the same range (specs and price) I’ll probably go for it.

Cheers
You know...I'd have to run by the store again, just to be certain. But I'll tell ya...I was impressed by the picture. The ONE thing I should comment on, and it "could" be an issue in regards to (making) my 1st impression, is that picture I was viewing was a "looped" demo reel manufactured to highlight the best quality's of the Bravia line.

But I do (very strongly) feel that their is a picture advantage with the LED-LCD technology.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Approved Member

I came into a bit of money recently, and decided to upgrade the visual side of my rig (a 24" DiGiMate 1900x1200 & an ATi HD4890) a little. My rig is primarily for browsing, e-mailing, and IL-2 - on-line flying and mission building

Now that Ati have got their drivers sorted for the 5xxx series and IL2, I plumped for an HD5870 card and looked around for a monitor to do justice to it. Eventually I found a 27.5" monitor at 1900x1200 and bought that. It's a Hanns.g HZ281 which retails at £250 in the UK. The quality is superb throughout and even though it doesn't do the ultra-high definition of the Dell and Samsung offerings, it's great for less than a 1/4 of the latters' prices. Surprising to me, the extra 3&1/2" of visual real estate makes quite an improvement to my enjoyment of the game. I was so impressed that I went and bought a TrackIR 5 to replace my tired old 3Pro!

All in all I'm chuffed with the result of this little splurge. For just over £600 I have lifted the graphics potential of my flight rig by a couple of notches - and I still have room for improvement when SoW BoB happens along, with Crossfire and extra monitors an achievable option if I so desire. Based on the price tag for the top-end monitors, I still have £500 in hand to achieve it.

B

Edit: I should have said that my wife is really pleased with the 24" monitor that now adorns her workstation. Buying a bigger monitor AND keeping the wife happy - win/ win!
CH Franken-Tripehound stick and throttle merged, CH Pro pedals. TrackIR 5 and Pro-clip. Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.

Last edited by brando; 09-10-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg27_mc View Post
Howdy,

I’m currently thinking switching to:

Samsung UE32C6530 @ 663,90 € http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/t...ype=prd_detail

or

LG 32LE5300 @ 579,00 € http://www.lg.com/uk/tv-audio-video/...v-32LE5300.jsp

But I’m having troubles finding good reviews to both of the models above.

If Sony has a good siming equipment in the same range (specs and price) I’ll probably go for it.

Cheers
Hello friends

I think this is the US version for the LG:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...6&Tpk=32le5400

Thinking about it also because it's panel type and refresh rate which will smooth the game in places were FPS is under 60.

Another option:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889101201
http://www.hdtvreview.com/Sharp-LC32LE700E-hdtv.html

Cheers
gprr
Old 09-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmiss View Post
Maybe I'll be satisfied with using two resolution sizes, maybe not.

Regardless, I thought I'd post to read some thoughts by others.
try and use similar resolutions if you can, since your main monitor is already older and of a different brand (probably), there will already be significant visual differences between them.

you do have another alternative, why not put a 20' (1200 x 1600) on either side of the 1920 x 1200 monitor you have now ? for gaming it will give you similar to a 2x 24' in visual real estate, but half of the extra monitor will be on either side and will significantly improve your peripheral vision in gaming
Old 09-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton45 View Post
But I do (very strongly) feel that their is a picture advantage with the LED-LCD technology.
the new OLED tv's are great, with bright vivid colors (better then current normal lcd or plasma tv's). a few things to be aware of with them
- they use about 30% less power then lcd (good)
- their blacks are still not as good as the good quality pioneer plasma's that were recently discontinued by pioneer (those were 30% more expensive then other plasma's, and pioneer used to make them in their own factory, now closed)

the main thing is you might not find OLED tv's as crisp and precise as normal lcd's (but they will have brighter colors and use less power). one of the reasons is that untill very recently OLED used only 2 led's per pixel/dot (instead of the 3 used in crt's, plasma, or normal lcd's). this means that to get your 3 primary colors (red, green, blue) together to create one "color spot" on the screen, you then need 2 pixels (or 3 pixels to create 2 dots to be precise). so in fact whatever resolution they are quoting you for the screen, they are probably cheating in the specs and it is 30% lower then an equal lcd/plasma/crt. this is the case for most mobile phone screens using oled today, and if the same technology is used for tv's they would have the same limitation. this might not matter if you sit far enough from the screen, and if your screen is very high resolution and a decent size, but it is something worth considering.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
the new OLED tv's are great, with bright vivid colors (better then current normal lcd or plasma tv's). a few things to be aware of with them
- they use about 30% less power then lcd (good)
- their blacks are still not as good as the good quality pioneer plasma's that were recently discontinued by pioneer (those were 30% more expensive then other plasma's, and pioneer used to make them in their own factory, now closed)

the main thing is you might not find OLED tv's as crisp and precise as normal lcd's (but they will have brighter colors and use less power). one of the reasons is that untill very recently OLED used only 2 led's per pixel/dot (instead of the 3 used in crt's, plasma, or normal lcd's). this means that to get your 3 primary colors (red, green, blue) together to create one "color spot" on the screen, you then need 2 pixels (or 3 pixels to create 2 dots to be precise). so in fact whatever resolution they are quoting you for the screen, they are probably cheating in the specs and it is 30% lower then an equal lcd/plasma/crt. this is the case for most mobile phone screens using oled today, and if the same technology is used for tv's they would have the same limitation. this might not matter if you sit far enough from the screen, and if your screen is very high resolution and a decent size, but it is something worth considering.
Hello zapatista

Do you mean like this?:
"LG-Displays 32 inch OLED-Tv will cost arount 3,999 dollar and come mid 2010" Even so no OLED TV is on newegg...

gprr

Last edited by gprr; 09-10-2010 at 02:43 PM.