Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Approved Member

Actually, the weather model was one of the most avertised features of the upcoming title.
The possibility of the rain effects mentioned by JVM would be very nice to see, although i read the following quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVM View Post
rain related loss of atmospheric transparency...).
...as "rain related loss of FPS"
In all seriousness, it would be awesome to see things like this, even if they were restricted to DX10/DX11 mode.

However, i would be very interested to see things that go further than the purely graphical side of things. For example, could the weather model be used to generate thermal, ridge and wave lift? Now, before someone says "this is not FSX", the truth remains that there's loads of MSFS users and 3rd party developers that could jump ship to the new platform (another one of the stated goals of the project), which means more income for 1c to fund upcoming expansions.

Not to mention that quite a lot of luftwaffe pilots and aces started their career flying gliders. Imagine a few years down the line, being able to start your carreer as a cadet flying gliders, graduating to planes, taking part in the Spanish civil war, etc.

It would be very cool and also add a whole new dimension of potential flying scenarios and multiplayer modes. There is already air racing and aerobatic teams in IL2, imagine glider competitions and ranking ladders where you have to do everything without an engine, relying on stored energy. Plus, i think it would improve our skills quite a bit when going back to powered planes.

If the weather model is up for it, there is a substantial and largely untapped market. There are various virtual soaring/sailplane communities online and they mostly use various MSFS versions. However, gliding/soaring in FSX is impossible without 3rd party freeware add-ons, the multitude of terrain add-ons can make ridge lift calculations incompatible between different users and most of the saiplane models are freeware models made with the limitations of the MSFS engine (with the exception of a handful of very well done payware models).

Now, imagine being able to model gliders in the SoW standard of graphics and physics, having not only a better FM but also DM, the ability to create custom maps for soaring events and realistic weather support right out of the box. As Oleg stated 3rd party maps will be limited in size, but i guess they will be adequate for this kind of multiplayer when even modern high performance sailplanes average a speed of 200km/h during a cross country flight. The distance record for a glider stands at more than 3000km, but i doubt anyone would fly a 10-hour non-stop multiplayer session. I guess a 2-3 hour route would be enough for most people.

Most of the WWII virtual combat pilots are already guaranteed to take a place in the SoW camp already. If the weather engine is realistic enough and with the help of the SDK for 3rd party development, i bet a lot of sport virtual pilots will join up as well
Old 09-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Approved Member

i'd prefer to see a good development of black/red out effect

Youtube Profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/E69Qpassa
Old 09-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
Actually, the weather model was one of the most avertised features of the upcoming title.
The possibility of the rain effects mentioned by JVM would be very nice to see, although i read the following quote

...as "rain related loss of FPS"
In all seriousness, it would be awesome to see things like this, even if they were restricted to DX10/DX11 mode.

However, i would be very interested to see things that go further than the purely graphical side of things. For example, could the weather model be used to generate thermal, ridge and wave lift? Now, before someone says "this is not FSX", the truth remains that there's loads of MSFS users and 3rd party developers that could jump ship to the new platform (another one of the stated goals of the project), which means more income for 1c to fund upcoming expansions.

Not to mention that quite a lot of luftwaffe pilots and aces started their career flying gliders. Imagine a few years down the line, being able to start your carreer as a cadet flying gliders, graduating to planes, taking part in the Spanish civil war, etc.

It would be very cool and also add a whole new dimension of potential flying scenarios and multiplayer modes. There is already air racing and aerobatic teams in IL2, imagine glider competitions and ranking ladders where you have to do everything without an engine, relying on stored energy. Plus, i think it would improve our skills quite a bit when going back to powered planes.

If the weather model is up for it, there is a substantial and largely untapped market. There are various virtual soaring/sailplane communities online and they mostly use various MSFS versions. However, gliding/soaring in FSX is impossible without 3rd party freeware add-ons, the multitude of terrain add-ons can make ridge lift calculations incompatible between different users and most of the saiplane models are freeware models made with the limitations of the MSFS engine (with the exception of a handful of very well done payware models).

Now, imagine being able to model gliders in the SoW standard of graphics and physics, having not only a better FM but also DM, the ability to create custom maps for soaring events and realistic weather support right out of the box. As Oleg stated 3rd party maps will be limited in size, but i guess they will be adequate for this kind of multiplayer when even modern high performance sailplanes average a speed of 200km/h during a cross country flight. The distance record for a glider stands at more than 3000km, but i doubt anyone would fly a 10-hour non-stop multiplayer session. I guess a 2-3 hour route would be enough for most people.

Most of the WWII virtual combat pilots are already guaranteed to take a place in the SoW camp already. If the weather engine is realistic enough and with the help of the SDK for 3rd party development, i bet a lot of sport virtual pilots will join up as well
I would LOVE to see better flight models/weather effects in SoW. I fly non-combat flight sims (X-Plane) and when I fly IL-2 it feels like I am flying in a vacuum.

But....such flight models and weather effects seem to take a huge amount of PC resources. I get better frame rate in a big furball with IL-2 than I do with X-Plane flying alone over bad scenery. So I don't know if it is possible.

If it was....wow, I would be in heaven. Imagine being able to hit both markets with one title....

Splitter
Old 09-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerfalke View Post
From my experience graphical effects are implemented and tuned when everything else is close to finish. I doubt SoW has reached this state, yet.
Agreed. However it was not an unreasonable request. Some more clarification on multiplayer features would not kill anyone at this point either.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
For example, could the weather model be used to generate thermal, ridge and wave lift? ......

the truth remains that there's loads of MSFS users and 3rd party developers that could jump ship to the new platform (another one of the stated goals of the project), which means more income for 1c to fund upcoming expansions.

they mostly use various MSFS versions.

Now, imagine being able to model gliders in the SoW standard of graphics and physics, having not only a better FM but also DM,
Oleg has already said that gliding would be possible when talking about weather effects, especially wind related ones...

He has also said that a substantial number of former FSX developers were now working with him on SoW and presumably SoW related after ACES studio closing...

The main glider softwares are "Condor" and "SFS" and do not have anything in common with FSX (fortunately, I might add...)

I share you expectations!

JVM
Old 09-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Hsqn Protos View Post
Agreed. However it was not an unreasonable request. Some more clarification on multiplayer features would not kill anyone at this point either.
I'm not judging the reason behind the question, but fact is, that you can only show something in a screenshot or video, that is implemented and works in present time.

What comes in the future or what is planned here and there is a much different question and will mostly be restricted by legal, marketing and psychological considerations. Announcing something that won't make it in the release caused a lot of trouble before.
So, it's a matter of learning from the past. OM obviously has. I wonder why the community still hasn't or is unable to realize.

Last edited by Feuerfalke; 09-09-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaelu View Post
lol... how about mission editor? ...
my one cent...
We were shown the landscape editor about a year ago from memory. Looked good

cheers!