Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 06-25-2012, 12:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAG_Bliss View Post
The standing mile record in the street legal class has been dominated by the Ford GT since it's production. The reason being - there isn't a single car manufacturer on the planet that builds a better performing engine on the planet in factory trim.

The Ford GT has a measly 500hp at the flywheel in stock trim. The street legal class allows you to use any power adder you like but the long block (the engine internals) must remain bone stock.

This year they've pushed the bone stock 5.4L into 2000HP to once again claim the standing mile record @ 257mph.

You wouldn't believe how week Ferrari, Lambos, Jags, Buggati', AM's, Porche's drivetrains are in comparison. We're talking about a 30% increase in power and they would blow up on the dyno. The GT, on the other hand, has over a 400% increase in power and is safe. You just can't beat an American V8. That's why I use em

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...rd-at-257-mph/

and a fun one showing the earliest twin turbo adaptation to the GT. That car eventually got to 1500RWHP on pump gas.

Pretty cool watch back in 2006.

And new Jags suck. Absolutely no character and slow as hell.
"bone stock" eh? Not even close.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHemi View Post
"bone stock" eh? Not even close.
The Long block (engine internals - heads, cams, rods, crank, pistons, valves/valve train) are 100% OEM Ford. If you read that's what I said is bone stock - and yes, it is.

What don't you understand? Do you not know what the definition of a power adder is? (blower, turbo, nitrous)

Edit: and that's what the class rules are for the standing mile record in the street class. Any power adder or combination of power adder(s) but the long block (engine block and internals) must remain 100% stock. If I remember correctly, the fuel system minus the injectors must remain factory as well to compete. And if you read the description of the youtube video it'll tell you the same thing

And to quote it so maybe you'll understand this time:

Quote:
Joe's 2005 Ford GT was the first ever car to be successfully twin turbocharged, making over 1000 whp on a completely OEM, stock & original engine + fuel system. Watch as a team of collaborators design, fabricate, assemble and tune one of the fastest, most reliable street cars with virtually no "Modded Ford GT" history available to them.

ATAG Forums + Stats

Last edited by ATAG_Bliss; 06-25-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
The Long block (engine internals - heads, cams, rods, crank, pistons, valves/valve train) are 100% OEM Ford. If you read that's what I said is bone stock - and yes, it is.

What don't you understand? Do you not know what the definition of a power adder is? (blower, turbo, nitrous)

Edit: and that's what the class rules are for the standing mile record in the street class. Any power adder or combination of power adder(s) but the long block (engine block and internals) must remain 100% stock. If I remember correctly, the fuel system minus the injectors must remain factory as well to compete. And if you read the description of the youtube video it'll tell you the same thing

And to quote it so maybe you'll understand this time:
Yes maybe you'll understand...

That record now stands at a verified 257.7 miles per hour reached in one mile, a full 4.6 miles per hour faster than before. Kennedy arrived at that speed in a Ford GT that’s received more than its fair share of modifications. Hennessey Performance’s John Hennessey tells us that the record-setting GT is motivated by the same 5.4-liter V-8 engine block as a stock Ford GT, but it’s been extensively changed with new innards like pistons and crankshaft. Hennessey also swapped out the stock car’s supercharger for a pair of Precision turbochargers, which make a combined 34 psi of boost. Put it together and John says it “would conservatively make 2000 horsepower to reach that kind of speed.”
Old 06-25-2012, 12:37 AM
Approved Member

You're right. I thought the street legal class didn't allow internal modifications. It's the class below that "internal production class".

Either way, 1500rwhp has been made on 100% bone stock factory internals. Many companies sell GT TT kits with tune, all bolt on. No other manufacturer can make that kind of increase over stock with factory internals. That's my point. Hopefully it'll make sense now. The 2nd video, which I already explained, has factory internals and fuel system. Part 2 of that video shows the car making over 1500rwhp all in "bone stock" trim. Hopefully that'll help understand what I'm trying to say.

ATAG Forums + Stats

Last edited by ATAG_Bliss; 06-25-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:46 AM
Approved Member

all good on a straight line...
Old 06-25-2012, 02:15 AM
Approved Member

Ford doesn't care enough about the Ford GT to make them anymore, so, as good as it is, it's an automotive dead-end. How about a new thread: Great Obsolete Cars.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:08 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronWastelan View Post
Ford doesn't care enough about the Ford GT to make them anymore, so, as good as it is, it's an automotive dead-end. How about a new thread: Great Obsolete Cars.
It has nothing to do about Ford caring about how good it is or was. Ford does things like this every once in a while to show off.

It's kinda like when Enzo (Ferrari) was going to sell Ferrari to Ford and backed out at the last second. Henry basically got pissed off and said, "ok - I'll show them Ferrari bastards" and built a car that won LeMans (totally dominated by Ferrari at the time) 4 years straight, just out of spite. They stopped production of the GT40 and stopped in LeMans, but Ford's little stunt will always be a little reminder to Ferrari that the colonists can still make a car that A.) turns and B.) kicks your ass for less than 1/2 the money.

And the engine in the, as you say, "dead" GT can be bought directly from Ford along with about any other modular engine they make. The 5.4L that's in the GT shares many things with what's in a Shelby or even a Crown Victoria. That's why they call it the mod motor. It's parts swap heaven. I have a few friends running the Ford GT engine from FRPP (Ford Racing Performance Parts) with a twin turbo setup in their mustangs. It's actually one of the things on the rise now as it's about as reliable as a setup with ridiculous horsepower than money can buy and you can get 30mpg out of it.

ATAG Forums + Stats
Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
[...] but Ford's little stunt will always be a little reminder to Ferrari that the colonists can still make a car that A.) turns and B.) kicks your ass for less than 1/2 the money.
could make... It's a different philosophy for different driving styles and roads, but the thrill of massive torque acceleration will never be as exhilarating as brushing perfect bends around the Nurburgring circuit.

You can have a fast car, but there's always the off chance of someone having a faster car than you. You don't need to be a good driver, you just need a bigger wallet.

A well balanced car will give you endless entertainment for decades and teach you a lot about handling and performance driving.

I bet that if you ask to most of them "drivers" how's their heel-and-toe they'd probably look puzzled at their own foot
Old 06-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternjaeger II View Post
but the thrill of massive torque acceleration will never be as exhilarating as brushing perfect bends around the Nurburgring circuit.
Makes me wish I had the cash for one of the new Cadillacs.

edit:
Quote:
I bet that if you ask to most of them "drivers" how's their heel-and-toe they'd probably look puzzled at their own foot
I expect transmissions with manual clutch to gone in about 10yrs. Although they are lots of fun.
Maybe you should ask them about left foot braking.

Last edited by swiss; 06-25-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post
Makes me wish I had the cash for one of the new Cadillacs.
oh puh-leaaase!!!
Quote:
I expect transmissions with manual clutch to gone in about 10yrs. Although they are lots of fun.
Maybe you should ask them about left foot braking.
I honestly doubt it.