Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 09-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
The plane has no visible structural damage
But the extended tailwheel makes me very curious....

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Old 09-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
But the extended tailwheel makes me very curious....
yeah man, maybe he fainted/collapsed or whatever and hit the emergency gear release, considering he's pitching down the main gears are being kept in by the g force of the pitch.. it was just a few seconds.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternjaeger II View Post
yeah man, maybe he fainted/collapsed or whatever and hit the emergency gear release, considering he's pitching down the main gears are being kept in by the g force of the pitch.. it was just a few seconds.
but the main gear doesn't even look like it's cracked open, no g will stop the initial extention.

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Old 09-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Approved Member

Dramatic NEW video.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternjaeger II View Post
check out this pic

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-201_162-...=page;previous

the pilot is not in view, and considering the steep angle at which it came down, it is likely he's leaning forward (which is kinda hard, cos you're strapped in), my very wild guess is that he wasn't conscious (maybe dead?) before he hit the ground. The plane has no visible structural damage, so a steep plunge like that is really unlikely unless it's actually pushed down

As much as I like vintage planes, I think that Reno races, other than ruining beautiful warbirds, is an unnecessary risk.
It is clearly damaged. A trim tab is missing:

Flying online as Setback.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:23 AM
Approved Member

According to a local news website the initial scenario goes something like this:

1) Trim tab gets separated while doing quite a bit of airspeed (some say as much as 450 knots). This alone means you get a sudden pitch-up motion due to the sudden absence of any nose down trim to keep the plane going straight at such a high speed.

2) On top of that, the connecting rod/wire between the two tabs is broken and the second trim tab on the other elevator is stuck in nose up trim.

3) As a result of the rapid pitch up, the pilot pulls about 9-10Gs and passes out.

4) Pilot can't regain control in time due to GLOC (G-induced loss of consciousness).

The short report then goes on to mention that a very similar event occurred in these races with another modified mustang back in 1998. In that case the pilot was also subjected to about 10Gs but was far luckier, he just woke up at an altitude of 9000ft and proceeded to recover and land normally.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:01 AM
Approved Member

this was an horrific tragedy - very sad

Following both threads here - this one and the locked one it seems that people are struggling with the pilots age, some perceived lack of regulation or restriction on crowd proximity to the runway / apron area, and the Galloping Ghosts most recent, untested? modifications?...and lets not talk about flight certs - no one wanted to pull Bob Hoovers ticket either.

It looks like a perfect storm to me -

In most of these situations, its rarely one thing that causes the worst kinds of mayhem
Rather it is a stew...

Why does a 74 year old man need to fly a tight race track with several other planes at over 500mph in front of a grandstand full of women and children? because he can?

Why would he do so in an aircraft he knew had been modified, but was as yet uncertain of how exactly those airframe and power plant modifications might change the flight characteristics of his plane...not really shaking it down..but rather - taking it directly into a crowded race environment? because he "thought" he could handle it? that's Mavericky no?

When a pilot in one of these events feels a tug, or transient control response, or experiences an unusual vibration - or feels lightheaded or otherwise gets even a split second sensation that things aren't right - he is to pull up and away from the grandstand and get his plane out of the race area as quickly as possible. That is the procedure and the rule.

What if he felt the tug of the trim tab departing and pulled back on the stick to follow procedure...same time as the loss of trim also caused a pitch up moment thus causing an explosive positive G effect? - ANYONE would have blacked out instantly - that would explain the "empty cockpit" photos - but it does not excuse the pilot. He made the decision to race - he "wanted to see what the Ghost could do" if he pushed her.

People take risks all the time, its in our nature.
Some risk their money, some their jobs and some risk their lives....thats ok when they aren't betting with my money. This guy was gambling with other peoples lives, and I don't care what a great pilot he WAS or what he did for aviation back in the day...he took a huge risk and, well they're still counting the losses.

the Sandman...
Old 09-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Approved Member

[QUOTE=heywooood;339370]t

ANYONE would have blacked out instantly - that would explain the "empty cockpit" photos - /QUOTE]

The pilot would have been in the photos slumped over...they think that the seat let go, slid back.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 09-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Approved Member

The races simply will go back to being private events closed to the public. I think they need too.

After this incident and our lawsuit happy public, I don't want them there.

The owners and pilots can enjoy their airplanes without them.

I think we should ban racing cars too. I mean 83 people died in one wreck at LeMans. Speed and power of cars has increased considerably since then yet the tracks are just the same.

Time bomb waiting to happen.....

http://www.ewilkins.com/wilko/lemans.htm

Old 09-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Approved Member

I think your quite safe from an 'exploding F1 car' mate when spectating