Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 12-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Approved Member

I think people are forgetting the (probably optimistic) expected release date for the (initially probably buggy) new sim is not this year or next year but in 2014.

Unless people are content, in the interim, to just play ROF and IL2_1946 and/or waste time stalking the new sim forums petulantly demanding updates and complaining about the color of the trees for the next year or two ... CoD will still have a bit of life in it yet.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:08 PM
Approved Member

I hope it does improve!
Old 12-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTE_Galway View Post
I think people are forgetting the (probably optimistic) expected release date for the (initially probably buggy) new sim is not this year or next year but in 2014.

Unless people are content, in the interim, to just play ROF and IL2_1946 and/or waste time stalking the new sim forums petulantly demanding updates and complaining about the color of the trees for the next year or two ... CoD will still have a bit of life in it yet.
In sim development terms, 2014 is just around the corner. There are people still enjoying EAW too, so I suspect there will still be people using clod many years from now.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:51 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTE_Galway View Post

I think it was very irresponsible of 1C/777 in opening up the new forum so soon. With nothing new to show us it was just an invitation to start arguments.

Maybe they should have waited until they had something concrete to show us like in game video's and screen shots. (I know they posted 4 on blue backgrounds. but didn't go to the trouble of arranging the views ).

Instead we will have arguments and flare ups because there is nothing else to do.

I got into ROF yesterday, and maybe I need to work on my settings because it was bland and lifeless.

I also managed to bounce on landing and put my SE5a on it's back! (yes I have been supporting them over the years by collecting aircraft as they have come available)

The sad thing was even though my Vickers gun (which is mounted on the cowling was rendered inoperative - the Lewis gun on the upper wing (buried under ground at this stage) still worked fine the rounds leaving the ground a few metres in front of the plane! Hey I even managed to reload it at one point!

Mention anything like this at the new forum and you get denounced a ROF hater and a get given a sermon by evangelistic ROF Fanatics! (I'm not sure if they've read the big "IL2 Sturmovik at the top of the page) The worst (In my opinion) is the sentiment of "It's only a game" and "entertainment title". The reason I fly CFS’s and spend hours on line and receive immense satisfaction from being awarded 0.2 of a kill is that in some very little way I get to appreciate what the veterans went through all those years ago. A ‘Game’ won’t cut it for me. I want to be working in a team using vaguely historic tactics in as lifelike a setting as possible.

With such wildly different expectations of what an IL2 title should be like there is no wonder that there are so many threads being locked.
Anyway, over at the new forum I tend to be biting my tongue a lot more than over here and ignoring a lot of one sided views.

They seem to be using the term "CloD Crowd" as a derogatory label. I for one am taking it as an honorific!

Doesn’t feel like home over there yet. I guess time will tell.

Last edited by Skoshi Tiger; 12-17-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:03 AM
Approved Member

The new forum is very reminiscent of the way things were/are at the SimHQ RoF forum. No criticism tolerated by the rabid fanboys.

Mention the dull/lifeless/sterile world of RoF and all you hear are distant crickets chirping. Bring up a question about the engine's ability to handle the large number of ground objects necessary in a modern WW2 ground engagement and prepare to be pummeled about the unnecessary details of the cockpits in CloD, and how good "our" Spad pit is.

I think you are right Skoshi, they should have waited till at least they could show some alpha footage of game play, or shots of the models that they have done, not the pics of the BoM Lagg that were imported into the RoF engine as a test.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 12-17-2012, 11:04 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
Instead we will have arguments and flare ups because there is nothing else to do.
Dear god, is your life really that empty.

You can still keep playing Clod cant yer,, it's still there, nobody's taken it away from you have they?

Last edited by Davy TASB; 12-17-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy TASB View Post
Dear god, is your life really that empty.

You can still keep playing Clod cant yer,, it's still there, nobody's taken it away from you have they?
I go to forums such as this to find out information about the sims I enjoy, not to listen to people whine or try to convince me that Black is White and White is Black and tell me that I can't have an opinion or express my concern because it's wrong. Why do you?

Without information relevant to the sim being released all there is opinion and hearsay and (as shown here before the 'news' and in the first few days at the new site) people trying to enbiggen themselves and put others down. It's counter productive to the community and bad for our hobby.

IMHO! (and that is just an opinion mind you ) They would have side tracked all the BS that went down on the new site by posting a Announcement and Developers Blog (with comments locked) Until we actually have something we can discuss.

Simple as that.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
IMHO! (and that is just an opinion mind you ) They would have side tracked all the BS that went down on the new site by posting a Announcement and Developers Blog (with comments locked) Until we actually have something we can discuss.
Dont disagree with you on that after all you dont see a soap company putting an ad on the telly without showing the product.

Still think there would have been a lot of moaning and bitching though. Cant for the life of me understand why most of the time.
It happens on every forum in the universe though and is not exclusive to flight simmers.
No matter who makes this sim, someone will be moaning that the colour of the grass is wrong, the situation of the public conveniences outside Buckingham Palace is 1/2 an inch out, or that you cant actually die when you crash your plane.

Now wheres the bliddy Royal Mail with my Adolf Galland add on.

Last edited by Davy TASB; 12-17-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Approved Member

+1

That said it has seamed to have settle down a bit today.

Which is good