Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Rig'n'Roll

Rig'n'Roll Truck racing game, sequel to the famous Hard Truck series. Drive authentic trucks along real Californian roads, deliver cargo, take part in truck races or establish your own cargo transportation company.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:53 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs down Disappointed

OK, so I've watched the videos by Ubaku, therock23480 on YouTube, and others. And all I can say is, I'm disappointed! I didn't expect much, given the previews I'd seen (and heard!) but decided to give 1C Company the benefit of the doubt until the actual release.
But now I've come to conclude it's bad -- the physics suck, and are like Midtown Madness'. (But THAT game DOES have pedestrians!) For instance, in real life, cars usually don't fly up in the air 20 feet or more when hit by a truck.
The AI sucks just as bad -- nobody stops in the middle of an expressway, only to change lanes by turning their front wheels 45 degrees!
The AI sounds are a joke -- all cars sound like they're racing, and sound just the same, whether their difference in speed is 2 or 120 miles an hour, or they're 3 or 60 feet away. (so much for a credible Doppler effect...)
The same goes for the AI trucks, only those all sound like 50 year old farm tractors, that desperately need their tappet clearances checked.
The sounds of the player's trucks aren't much better -- only the idle and sudden full throttle sounds are more or less acceptable, all other engine sounds are just sped-up idle sounds.
So who cares if you can actually watch the driver shift gears? It's a fun gimmick, but I think they should have taken care of the glaring faults before taking the time to implement this.
Talking about drivers, am I correct in assuming the player's driver can only be male???

According to many, this game was supposed to blow SCS' 18 WoS series out of the water. Well, I just started 18 WoS Haulin' up briefly, and have to say it beats R'n'R hands down, except for a small difference in graphics quality, and the extent of the scenery. And it took them 5+ years, rides with actual truckers, and "real" sound recordings to come up with this?
This is no simulation, it's just an arcade game.

I was prepared to buy the Russian version for now, because it's only about 11 Euros, but I think it's not even worth that much. And to think I've been contemplating rigging a real 13 speed shifter, with working air actuators, for use with R'n'R...
Old 11-29-2009, 02:01 AM
Approved Member

LoL, buy it and try it, although you are right to a certain extent, its better than you think. Not to mention that they are listening to the gamers on the Russian 1c forum and are willing to fix mistakes in a patch. Try it, it doesn't cost that much.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Approved Member

Yeah, I pretty much said the same thing here, though not as elaborately as you

And lol, a 13-speed shifter wouldn't do you much good since the most gears any truck in the game has is 6
Old 11-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Approved Member

Actually, from all the movies and previews I've seen, I think it's pretty good.

However, it doesn't look like it was worth the wait to be honest. The trucks sound terrible, and the game only has support for 6 gears. I remember that Nike-It said that they wouldn't implement a splitter to make the trucks easier to drive, but a HI-LO range selector would be a great improvement (so we could have a 10 speed gearbox, at least). Also, the AI seems terrible.

If they would fix these 3 things, I think the game would be much better. So, in my oppinion:

Is it better than 18 WoS? Yes, there's no doubt about it.
Was it worth the 7 year wait? No. Not untill they fix a couple of things, at least.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs down

Yy. A disastrous physics! Mainly semi trailer behavior UFO. Look in time 2:31-2:40
Scaling down the left and the trailer does what?? This is disastrous physics. WTFFFFFFFFFFF ??????? They are working on space projects?? Well, we're tuned. When we fall off the head of the Russian satellites: D When you do not know basic physics, mechanics. OMG so many years .......

Old 11-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

It seems that the Russian release its a beta testing version with the Russian speaking guys being sth like beta testers!lol.For me the 18 euro that needs to buy the game its a price for a pre investement for a good patch or patches till the english release,or even later.So the one who buy the game now,lets see themselves as an investors of a better development later.Lets hope for a quick major patch release sooner then summer,lol.The first step have been done,lets wait for further steps.

sorry,18 dollars.

Last edited by USA Trucker; 03-25-2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Merged Postings Into One.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Approved Member

I doubt anything short of a major rewrite could take care of the horrible sounds and physics...
And Pook, you're right, that trailer does move in mysterious ways when cornering, kinda like an over-agressive self steer axle. But perhaps the game is good enough for people who don't know the first thing about real trucks, and truck driving.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

Never say never,i just have a feeling that after a couple of patches the game will start to rock!I just hope they will have the will and budget to go even further,they have already promised some new things and add'ons.The whole idea is not bad,its promising,but they will have to continue and try even more.It will be crusial the first patch or patches to be ready as soon as possible and if they can before international release.Nothing is perfect,i remember the lauch of Arma2,how much it was anticipated and that everybody started to shout for many bugs after the release,now its getting better,its very importand if they will support the game further,if they will do that the game will be much better,at least that is my feeling and my wish.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Approved Member

The sounds are terrible, its a good thing they are in wav. format. That means we can make our own engine sounds for the game.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinXeng View Post
The sounds are terrible, its a good thing they are in wav. format. That means we can make our own engine sounds for the game.
Well they don't annoy me, but it would be interesting to hear gamers-made sounds too