Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:52 AM
Approved Member

Default Pe-2 series 244

The game version 4.14 introduces the series 244 of the Pe-2. At first glance, it looks quite a step back in respect of its previous and next variants (e.g.: it doesn't load the RRAB bombs). Investigating on it, I had an hard time trying to find any "244" model anywhere, so I wonder: is it the Pe-2 M-82 (a.k.a. Pe-4) that I found here:

https://www.valka.cz/topic/view/5785...v-Pe-4Pe-2M-82

also discussed here:

http://massimotessitori.altervista.o...p?topic=2254.0

Sources are contradictory about its role: fighter, long-range bomber, recon. I think this latter looks more credible, according to what stated in the above linked discussion:
"They were put into use mainly as recce aircraft in various units, but the M-82 engines proved unreliable and the type was not popular."
Old 03-24-2020, 11:30 PM
Approved Member

Default Pe-2 M82

From what I could gather, the Pe-4 was a Pe-2 with Klimov VK-105PF engines. Couldn't find production numbers.

The only other Pe-2 built with a Klimov engine that I could find was the late war Pe-2I, which was a version designed by Vladimir Myasishchev using Klimov VK-107 engines. Only five examples built.

"...but the M-82 engines proved unreliable and the type was not popular."
The M82 engines were in great demand for La-5 production and couldn't really be spared for Pe-2 variant aircraft, not because engines proved unreliable.

The M82 engine with direct fuel injection (M82FN) put the La-5FN on a more or less equal footing with the Bf 109G-2 and the Fw 190A-4 power wise (except at the higher altitudes). The problems the La-5 suffered were not because of the engine, but more due frame and systems structural design issues.

I drew a total blank on any reference to Pe-2 series 244. Nada! Sorry.