Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Star Wolves

Star Wolves 3D space RPG with deep strategy and tactical elements

Old 04-01-2010, 07:08 AM
Approved Member

Hmm, I have never used a pilot in MS. It seems like a waste of resources when he/she can fight in a fighter. Moreover most of us will agree that using Systems firmware Mk.3 is the best solution and it itself adds 120% accuracy to guns which is enough in my opinion.
I just am not sure with the particle vs. pulse laser. I have 4 pulse laser turrets I got from destroying all those platforms early in the game (really nice cash boot as I got 12 in total) so I have been using pulse lasers in my current game nearly from the beginning. And I found out that when a pulse laser hits once it can miss with the other shot. While particle guns when it hits, it hits, when it misses it misses.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Moreover most of us will agree that using Systems firmware Mk.3 is the best solution and it itself adds 120% accuracy to guns which is enough in my opinion.
120% is displayed but it's really a +20% bonus. It's far from being enough for me. It's hard to hit anything that's fly over 50% of the max range of the guns (even if you use lasers). Fully trained technician has better shield recharge/repair bonus and better accurancy but need tons of exp.

btw mod i'm creating will contain hireable pilots so you will no longer have to put all your pilots in fighters. I'll probably change pilot and hangar limit to 8 too (to avoid storyline collision).
Old 04-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
btw mod i'm creating will contain hireable pilots so you will no longer have to put all your pilots in fighters. I'll probably change pilot and hangar limit to 8 too (to avoid storyline collision).
More pilots would be a godsend... one of the things that has always irritated me about Star Wolves 3 is that you basically have to make do with 2-4 pilots and a mothership until the very end of the game.

PS: By the way, if you need any Summon abilities, such as Summon USS, or Summon Patrol, I can do it. I can even add fleet summoning and summoning bomber wings/capital ships.

Last edited by Nanaki; 04-01-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Approved Member

Yes, that is the problem. There are so few pilots that I find it better to have them in fighters. Most of the game you are left with three pilots. And then when returning from Precursor system you lose two pilots. So if there are more, I would also put one to the MS.

BTW does anyone knows why Joseph joins you? Just to tell you which system to go, help you shoot a few aliens and then run away with all equipment you gave him? Can it be changed so he stays?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Approved Member

Joseph probably joins you just to give you a temporary boost in pilots while you take on the aliens, and he leaves to make way for Kalem and whoever you sided with. Also probably why Heretic/Phantom refuses to join you after the expedition.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanaki View Post
PS: By the way, if you need any Summon abilities, such as Summon USS, or Summon Patrol, I can do it. I can even add fleet summoning and summoning bomber wings/capital ships.
Thanks a lot! I'll surely let you know when I'll be done with all stuff I'm working on. My new system is a clear space now so I'll need some flying junk there.
Unfortunately, I have much more ideas than a time to do them. I'm glad that someone's working on other things so maybe at the end we will join all improvements together in one brilliant mod
Old 04-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Approved Member

the thing is, I was looking for a combat engineer, not only a tanking mothership.
so, when u can hire some pilot, there might be a solution for me.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Fully trained technician has better shield recharge/repair bonus and better accurancy but need tons of exp.
I forgot to mention, but this is not correct at all... The Systems Software MK3 has Technomage, Expert countermeasures, expert shield operator, expert repairman, so the repair/shield bonuses are exactly the same as an expert technician, minus the engine improvements (which was given to the Piloting Software instead). The only bad thing about MS pilots is that they are overspecialized, that same systems operator only has Piloting 2 and Weapons 2.

Though, a technician may have higher survivability if he has any of the piloting survivability perks (Tactician, Hard To Kill) on top of his technical bonuses. But you would require practically a maxed out Technician in order to surpass that, while you can get the Systems Software MK3 very early in the game.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Approved Member

Yes, you're speaking truth. I always count "Hard to Kill" as a 25% tanking bonus. It's not mere 25% bonus to shield recharge or something. It generally reduces incoming damage by 1/4 so it's huge difference.
I use System mk3 too but I can't watch while it's shooting. Nearly everyone is better.
I'm not sure if Tactician works with mothership because there is no team to boost.

Last edited by Goblin Wizard; 04-01-2010 at 04:57 PM.