Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

View Poll Results: Would you like to see target tracking as an ON/OFF option in arcade mode?
YES 10 66.67%
NO 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Approved Member

Default Who'd like to see tracking as an option when setting up a game in arcade?

As above, when creating a game, who'd like to see tracking as an on/off option.

The reason is because it wipes out the advantage of several planes. Mainly the Fw190's, PD51's and Me262's.

Those planes advantage came from high speed attacks from above, and if they missed the energy would have them out of range in seconds.

But with tracking, this ability is completely neutralised and therefore renders the planes next to useless even though they were the best planes of WW2.

Now I know someone will say go play sim mode, and they are not entirely incorrect, but I prefer all the fun of arcade mode, but not at the expense of limiting all battles to hurricane turning battles.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Approved Member

I dont think it should be removed, maybe just toned down a bit. The range could be reduced, it could be adjusted so that only one target can be tracked and that you actually have to see it visually to track, so that if you pass cloud cover you loose them till you get eyes on again.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuma View Post

The reason is because it wipes out the advantage of several planes. Mainly the Fw190's, PD51's and Me262's.

Those planes advantage came from high speed attacks from above, and if they missed the energy would have them out of range in seconds.

But with tracking, this ability is completely neutralised and therefore renders the planes next to useless even though they were the best planes of WW2.

Now I know someone will say go play sim mode, and they are not entirely incorrect, but I prefer all the fun of arcade mode, but not at the expense of limiting all battles to hurricane turning battles.

Arcade mode is the turning battle... who can turn faster is all it is, with no penalty if you get shot. Who cares about the tracker in arcade because... its arcade. I can't stand arcade anyways, its the home of the crashers in my book (the people that head for the dirt when in trouble)
Old 09-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBear45 View Post
Arcade mode is the turning battle... who can turn faster is all it is, with no penalty if you get shot. Who cares about the tracker in arcade because... its arcade. I can't stand arcade anyways, its the home of the crashers in my book (the people that head for the dirt when in trouble)
Thats exactly my point, the tracking makes arcade mode a turning battle, because there is bloody great big arrow that tells you where the bad guys are, and therefore the most logical thing to do it turn in.

It also renders sneak attacks impossible as the radar and arrows give you away at 3KM.

So, even if its just in Player Matches, I recon it should be an option to turn it off so that game and incorparate all tatics rather than just turning.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Approved Member

If you are asking "Should hosts have the ability to force HUD settings?" then I think yes they should, I think that was Realistic could also benefit as well.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Thats exactly my point, the tracking makes arcade mode a turning battle, because there is bloody great big arrow that tells you where the bad guys are, and therefore the most logical thing to do it turn in.

It also renders sneak attacks impossible as the radar and arrows give you away at 3KM.

So, even if its just in Player Matches, I recon it should be an option to turn it off so that game and incorparate all tatics rather than just turning.
its still arcade... jk
But yea we had a take last night about how much better the game would be withouth the red box around the planes. so i would take it a step further, either way i think the tracker and arcade is crap.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

If they pulled a "Retournment" they'd be back on the tail of the surprised victim in seconds for a second attempt The amount of speed difference between an attacker and prey that can be lost with this classic dogfight maneuver is amazing and adds to the confusement of the prey.

I use the maneuver, with great success, in BS Midway, BS Pacific, IL-2 BOP and PC based simulators.

"Retournment" can be used as a "turn the tables" evade maneuver, just as a well timed "Immelmann" or "Split S" can be used to quickly end up on the tail of a head on attacker.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Approved Member

Errrm thats why we have sim mode
Old 10-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
The developers have already wiped out the advantages of these planes with poor modeling.