Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Approved Member

Default Is Birds of Prey coming out for PC too?

According to the gamevideos website, and the title of the page where the trailer is embedded, IL2 Sturmovik Birds Of Prey is being developed for the PC as well

The press release doesn't include the PC

And then there's this Gamespot hands-on with the game, where they say it's being developed for the PC as well: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sim/...atures;title;2

So what gives? Yay or nay for PC?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Approved Member

In the other thread on this board, Luthier has explained that other than giving the source code for IL2 to the developers of "Birds of Prey" that Oleg and company have nothing else to do with it. It is in no part related to SOW. So I doubt it will be ported to PC. It is an arcade console game. Nothing more.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 06-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Approved Member

In the Gamespot article you link, there's no reference at all about a BoP PC release or development. I think you have misread something.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:06 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
It is an arcade console game. Nothing more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.gamespot.com
IL-2 will come with both a simulation mode and an arcade mode for the console crowd not accustomed to a level of realism that, for new players, can be frustrating.
What about that?

I got an impression that the game has original scalability, no?
Old 06-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Approved Member

Roger that. I know it ain't olegs or luthier's game, but it's still a 1C game, and this is a 1C forum, so I was kinda hoping someone else might jump in and shed some light.

Oh, and Dux, from the gamespot article:

"The German Luftwaffe is again in trouble as new developer Gaijin Entertainment plans to release IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey on the PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360, with handheld versions on the PSP and Nintendo DS."

That's from the 2nd Paragraph of the article, just above the first screenshot.

So I don't think I misread it

But yeah I can understand everyone's doubts about it coming out for the PC. It's just that they mentioned it is all, so I was wondering...
Old 06-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFJ_rsm View Post
Oh, and Dux, from the gamespot article:

"The German Luftwaffe is again in trouble as new developer Gaijin Entertainment plans to release IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey on the PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360, with handheld versions on the PSP and Nintendo DS."
Ah, well, I see now. Anyway, I've done a search, and every other net game magazine (IGN, etc) announces the same ports but not the PC. I think they had a typo there.

BTW, a serious combat flight simulation in Xbox, well, it may be, but I don't know how they will manage so many control options with so simple control devices. CEM in Xbox? And Oleg just says it's a bit harder and realistic than the common arcade thing because of some parts of the Il-2 physics engine been inherited. Just that.

But, c'mon, a serious sim in Nintendo DS? That's a bit hard to believe, isn't it?
Old 06-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Of course it won't be a simulation on the DS, but I sure wish it was out when I was doing my military service!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuxCorvan View Post
BTW, a serious combat flight simulation in Xbox, well, it may be, but I don't know how they will manage so many control options with so simple control devices. CEM in Xbox? And Oleg just says it's a bit harder and realistic than the common arcade thing because of some parts of the Il-2 physics engine been inherited. Just that.
Why do you keep saying this stuff? Does it bother you that 360 is getting the next big sim in this series? All the articles I've read, they've said it will have the full simulation, but you can scale it, just like on PC.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigen View Post
Why do you keep saying this stuff? Does it bother you that 360 is getting the next big sim in this series? All the articles I've read, they've said it will have the full simulation, but you can scale it, just like on PC.
I'm not saying any stuff, and I'm glad that Xbox users can play air sims: any title who helps rise again the popularity of the genre is welcome.

I only doubt that a game that needs to bind 50+ keys just to get off the ground, and requires precise and well-calibrated peripherals to be enjoyable can be ported fully to a device that is controlled with two small sticks and a few buttons, without any simplification -or, if you prefer to call it this way, dumbing down- of at least a few features, like CEM, trim or AI comms, because I don't know how the h*ll are you going to control those without a keyboard or a panel.

And the same goes for flaps, brakes, lights, sight controls... even independent rudder. How are you going to control those, if they're not simplified, unless it comes bundled with a full Messenger Kit keyboard?

So I guess it will have Il-2 FMs, gunnery, DMs, etc., but it CANNOT have some complex management features that are impossible to control without several expensive Xbox peripherals, ok? So they must be 'automated', this is, disabled, this is, no full switch.

Unless you are able to play the PC Il-2 just with this:
Old 06-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Approved Member

Buying all those peripherals (Joystick/throttle quadrant, headset, keyboard and mouse) that WILL work on the Xbox and PS3 will still work out cheaper than buying the latest and greatest "pimped out" PC and there will be no compatability issues etc. to deal with like we have with PC's so I can see some advantages already e.g. you know for certain that when you buy the console version that you WILL be able to play it with maxed out settings just like everyone else...........which is nice

It can only be a good thing for the genre. I may even buy it for the PS3 and will still buy "Storm of War" for the PC while I'm at it.