Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:52 AM
Approved Member

Default I-16 Type 24 Engine Difficulties

I have a problem with the I16 while playing Realistic. The engine cuts out at random times, and it usually forces me to crash. It happens more often after i respawn
for whatever reason...
Is there a way to correct this so i can continue using the I16?
Old 10-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Approved Member

It's because of the carb I.e negative G causes it to flood and subsequently fail.
Also to much WEP tends to burn the motor out on the 153 and 16 pretty quickly. Lesson to be learnt is fly a proper plane!!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:06 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
It's because of the carb I.e negative G causes it to flood and subsequently fail.
Also to much WEP tends to burn the motor out on the 153 and 16 pretty quickly. Lesson to be learnt is fly a proper plane!!
"fly a proper plane" What do you mean, exactly?
Old 10-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Approved Member

Tongue in cheek!
The 16 failed all of it's original flight worthiness tests and having seen one 'in the flesh' so to speak at duxford this year I could see why.....oh and it's Russian!!
Sorry am I being just a little too English!! Now where's my Spitfire.......
Old 10-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula View Post
"fly a proper plane" What do you mean, exactly?
I have been told by a I16 pilot ( game pilot ) that you can avoid the negative G flood effect by cutting the throttle when you're takin them. Personally i have never tryed that "workaround", i don't like flying I16 pretty much because i think is not a good plane at all. But try it it might help. There is no perfect plane in the game but i don't like to have the I16's flaws by my side during combat.

Everybody knows about his tight turning ability, it can out turn all plane in the game ( maybe not the PO2, not sure lol ) so trying to chase him for too much in "turn fight" lead to a certain death but it have certain flaw, like its low speed and weak engine power that make it very easy to beat if opponent is flying a "proper plane" .

Oswald Boelcke ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oswald_Boelcke ) used to say:
"Speed: the pilot with the faster of two machines has control over the combat. He has the choice to break off combat and retire. The slower machine can not catch him. The pilot of a slower machine must stay on the defense. He can not run to safety. A fast moving aircraft can perform elaborate maneuvers, giving its pilot many options. A machine flying close to its stall speed can do little beyond wallowing in a more or less straight line..."

HAVE FUN!

Last edited by vdomini; 10-12-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Approved Member

I must have got 30 deaths playing Stalingrad on Simulator with it. A good plane in Arcade, but you have to get around the engine problems in Realistic or Simulator.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:09 AM
Approved Member

Hard to believe that this game is still going on after a couple of years in circulation. I've worked out the throttle settings for the I-16, but I can say with absolute certainty that there are no definites. They did an excellent job of modeling the Soviet aircraft, while turning the American fighters into garbage. (How's that Cold War working out for you guys?) Anyway, standard cruise setting would be 55%, anything over that for longer than a minute and your engine will start burning out. To get around the inverted flooding problem, cut the throttle anytime you're pulling negative G's. If the engine does flood for whatever reason, you're going to need at least 2,000' to build airspeed and get it restarted. 2,000 is the shortest I have been able to do it in, normally it's closer to 3,000. Having flown an I-16 in Dallas earlier this year, I commend the developers for making the BoP I-16 just as much of a shoddy, difficult to control, unpredictable, hopelessly under-armored piece of absolute sh*t as the actual I-16. If it was a horse, somebody would have taken it behind the barn and shot it a long time ago. There are some people playing online who swear by the I-16, but mostly they just swear, usually as they're entering a hard cross-control spin and burning in on Realistim and Sim. Hope that helps a little. Not a lot. The plane is garbage.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Approved Member

I don´t consider the I-16 bad, just obsolet. It is a plane of 1935. Is logical to be less than the Spitfre and Messerschmitt.

You only advantage is a close turn rate, but a good pilot never fight it in that style. With speed you can leave behind when you are in bad position
Old 06-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks-81 View Post
I don´t consider the I-16 bad, just obsolet. It is a plane of 1935. Is logical to be less than the Spitfre and Messerschmitt.

You only advantage is a close turn rate, but a good pilot never fight it in that style. With speed you can leave behind when you are in bad position
+1.
As a first generation cantilever monoplane, the designers were really experimenting so it was bound to have some tricky handling characteristics. Lessons learned that went into making the Yaks and La's great. And the I-16 did ok against the early bf109b-1 in the spanish civil war.

Redtiger02, have you tried flying the I-16 on sim with full elevator sensitivity?
How is that for difficult to control?

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 06-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula View Post
I have a problem with the I16 while playing Realistic. The engine cuts out at random times, and it usually forces me to crash. It happens more often after i respawn
for whatever reason...
Is there a way to correct this so i can continue using the I16?
Accelerating, downward faster than free fall will cause negative g-forces.