Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Approved Member

Default Common manoeuvres?

Hi guys

Been taking your advice and reading around the forums as well as looking up some dogfight tactics and they've been very helpful.

I was just wondering what manoeuvres you find yourselves using most often.

I'm just getting the hang of the Immelman and finding it very useful to get behind and above enemies but haven't really got into anything more complicated yet.

I'm sure when you know how to perform a particular move the written description makes total sense but for me its hard to visualize what the description is trying to communicate. Might be a good idea to Youtube the manoeuvres themselves?

I've been trying to practice turning and looping while maintaining lock on a target as well. Still gets me pretty disorientated and often leads to a stall but I'm getting better.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentZigzag View Post

I've been trying to practice turning and looping while maintaining lock on a target as well. Still gets me pretty disorientated and often leads to a stall but I'm getting better.
I try not to use the target cam too much as I too get a bit disorientated (especially worries me if I am below 5000ft). After finishing the game on arcade, I am now trying my luck at realistic, and its a totally different kettle of fish. I'm just going to keep on the training mission setup until I get better, then alter the enemy AI setting.

I am really going back to basics though. I have started in the Po-2 for basic flight, then up to the I-153, then I will go to a LaGG 5FN (my fave Russian bird).

I will eventually (after I convince 'er in doors) get a stick though.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Approved Member

Shoot me for saying this, but these manouvers are just theoretical in the online dogfight.
You need to choose your tactics depending upon each setting and opposing aircraft.
Barrell roll, yo yo, Immelmann, loop, split s.
Sure I use them, but dont get stuck in the theory of these.
It all depends on your position in the fight.

First of all, learn to read the Radar, then take an GOOD overview of the battlefield to analyze the ongoing dogfights.

What you need to care for is:

Speed, allways maintain a high airspeed. Dont forget the physics and laws of gravity.
(dont perform a loop if your speed is to low with an enemy in a flat attack angel behind you, you will be a sitting duck.)

Orientation of enemy, who to target and when.
If attacking, where is the closest enemy, whats his speed and his direction of flight.

If attacked, where is the enemy, whats his direction and his angle of attack.

Aim and shoot, practice your aiming skills. Know where to shoot.

Keep track of your wingman, remember why its called team battle.

and at last and the most important one:

RUN FROM THE WOOKIE

Or as said from someone else, always keep the wookie infront of you

Good hunting
Old 06-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAV View Post

Or as said from someone else, always keep the wookie infront of you

Good hunting
Yeah but then you get a face full of hair.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Approved Member

Good advice from Kav.

I'll add that if you're in arcade use lots of rudder.. Realistic and Sim won't let you use la lot of rudder.

for real/sim it's worth pointing out that your plane is only a flying gun when you're actually shooting. I found it really usefull learning about Lag, Pure and Lead pursuit. Can be usefull for getting behind someone and staying there..

There's loads on the net about this but I'll try and summarise.

Lag pursuit is where you point the nose (or crosshairs) just behind the target. This means that if they are pulling a tight turn your turn will be slightly larger and you need to compensate with a bit of throttle to stay behind them it's all about who can turn 180 degrees the fastest not the smallest turning circle. Using Lag pursuit should put you behind your target without you losing too much airspeed or overshooting.

Pure is where you point the plane directly at your target and is hard to do unless they are flying straight and level.

Lead, this is where you put the crosshairs infront of the target and the only time you are actually shooting at someone will be when you are leading them.
If you are leading a target you will be turning tighter than they are and it's easy to stall out if you try and lead someone for too long. If you lead someone when you are attacking from above too early you'll end up overshooting.

Ideal attck from above would mean starting the dive using Lag, get close then lead and shoot and climb away trying to keep airspeed and get your altidude back.

Play around with this in training.

This is the theory anyway.. In the game the WEP and unlimited ammo can make doing this very risky as opponents can boost while climbing and shoot from long range.

Most sim players tend to either barrel roll at low level to escape from being shot down, or pull a loop or immleman, both are very effective as it's disorientating and it's easy to lose the target due to blackouts.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Approved Member

I regard it as a matter of practice. And more practice. And then some more...

In the end you will have all the combat-figures and manoeuvres in your wrist. At least if you use a stick. Point is your body remembers either way after a lot of fighting. You will even get used to the toggle cam after a while. I allways use the lock-on in realistic, but never forget to look around!

An other tip that can be usefull is to give just as much attention to the one desperate killer behind you, than the one in front. You may get a good kill on the one ahead of course, but what does that mean if you get killed the next sec... Kill the bastard who's tracing you, and you're home free at the end of the day. That's my new approach anyway
Old 06-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Approved Member

As well as what the others have mentioned it's good to know where the ground is without looking at altimeter. The best pilots in the game will drag you down to the deck and if you don't have a feel for how high you are you will end up dead very quickly. This will usually be because of a crash or more likely you will take your eyes off the target to reorientate yourself with the ground. Doing that gives your oponent the opening they need for the kill shot.
Once you have been flying for a while you can sense the ground. I would suggest a few online matches where you deliberatly get into low level fights to start building this awareness
Old 06-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwookie View Post
I would suggest a few online matches where you deliberatly get into low level fights to start building this awareness
You just want to kill me again don't you
Old 06-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentZigzag View Post
You just want to kill me again don't you
depends if I have my Ipod on, I go postal when I have my music on
Old 06-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwookie View Post
As well as what the others have mentioned it's good to know where the ground is without looking at altimeter. The best pilots in the game will drag you down to the deck and if you don't have a feel for how high you are you will end up dead very quickly. This will usually be because of a crash or more likely you will take your eyes off the target to reorientate yourself with the ground. Doing that gives your oponent the opening they need for the kill shot.
Once you have been flying for a while you can sense the ground. I would suggest a few online matches where you deliberatly get into low level fights to start building this awareness

Ummmmmm i cannie its toooo beautiful lol

all the above is sound advice but its Kav whats the reall bully iJokes