Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Approved Member

Default Advice on attacking

Hi guys

When you get an enemy fighter in your sights but they are some distance away what is a good approach to take. I learned last night that simply beelining toward them is not a very good option to say the least.

Is it better to keep your altitude and shadow them until you can see an opportunity to come at them from behind or is going straight for them a viable tactic and I just need to learn to shoot straight?

Peace
ZZ
Old 05-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Approved Member

Hey agentzigzag ant thanks for the game last night.

If you go through the tactic session in the game, you will learn a lot.
But as an first advice, never fly in a straight line for more then secs. . . . .
Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Approved Member

Yeah good game last night.

With regards to attacking angle, the first thing I do when targeting an opponent is to check the range. I move towards the target keeping an eye on how fast the range closes. This gives you an idea of if the target is moving towards me or away from me. If it's moving towards me I get prepared for a head on attack, if not I wait until I am close enough to visually check the targets course and then get into attack position accordingly.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Approved Member

Did i hear you guys on the mics last night? Leant my headset to a mate who I'm trying to convince needs to buy one in order to compete in MW2 online but I thought i heard a bit of chatter in the lobby.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentZigzag View Post
Did i hear you guys on the mics last night? Leant my headset to a mate who I'm trying to convince needs to buy one in order to compete in MW2 online but I thought i heard a bit of chatter in the lobby.
Thats correct.
Me and Wookie is amongst the regulars, basically flying every night around 21.00 GMT. There are several others to, but they are temporarily lost in the West. As soon as they get tired of chewing dust and riding donkeys, you will find quite some fun online at nights.

And get your headset back, that will be helpful to enjoy online gaming.

Another tip regarding attack. Get a lead angle and aim at the wings.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Approved Member

Yes Kav Wookie and I were all talking . You can adjust the volume level for speech in the option menu . helps if you turn it up if you are listening from TV . versus the headset
Old 05-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Approved Member

if your having trouble with deflection,theres an excellent thread by joe90 called gunnery training video,bag the hun, with a test at the end ,search it out
Old 05-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Approved Member

somewhere on here bobbysocks has a post regarding the lomcevak manoeuvre ,it is a blinder -when it comes off,in a hurri, i can go from 220mph to 70 mph in two spins and be facing the same way(hopefully at the plane which was behind but has over shot you)its not as effective in a spit but great fun trying,nice 1 bobby
Old 05-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davedog74 View Post
if your having trouble with deflection,theres an excellent thread by joe90 called gunnery training video,bag the hun, with a test at the end ,search it out
Brillaint, cheers!

..."Brilliant" even.

Last edited by AgentZigzag; 05-26-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Approved Member

Allways take a good look around you! That's my main strategy in BoP.

When it comes to attack-strategy it differs from plane to plane I guess. Most of the dogfighting-games ends up close to the deck in something some of the players refer to as "the furball". It's basicly spits and hurrys turning in cirkles around each other in a big mess of more or less damaged planes - wich in the end ends in a crash. (Except for the wookie, shadowcorp, gilly, davedog and a few other pilots).

If you fly a 109 or one of the other planes that is easily out-turned in dogfights, the boom&zoom tactic can be functonial. Basicly pick a target, make a desition, go for the kill - and go straight out of there again and gain altitude. Then you do the same thing all over again, and use the roll-movement as an evasive tactic. All the time you use speed and surprise as your main "tool", in addition to firepower. After like 40 matches in DM or TB you should be able to get a few kills in every mission. I myself have as a main goal for each mission to have a cpl of more kills than deaths. Sometimes I'm lucky, and sometimes I'm not.

(In realistic mode a hot tip is to use the bail-function when your plane is to damaged to fly or can do any more harm. It gives your opponent the cred for the kill, and usually soothes his nerves a bit. Most of all it's a way to show him/her the respect he/she means she/he earns. I guess it's a mutual kind of showing each other respect after all. That said... We all have been, and allways will be, "cheated for kills" in BoP. It's a part of the game, and nothing to make a big fuzz about. I just wanted to mention it...)

Good hunting dude!