Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Approved Member

Seeing as we cant play due to being on different consoles I can at least offer you some advice.

First off, play the campaign to unlock all the planes you can easily, then use training mode to find a plane you can comfortably use in arcade and realistic.
It's all about finding one that suits your style, I personally always use the I 16 as its small, has quite good agility, but is slow and has virtually no armor. Going head-to-head against any other plane (apart from the PO-2, which has no forward guns ) is a bad idea.

So when it comes to dogfights there are some manoeuvres that you will need to use to get kills, or avoid being killed.

First off, when in realistic, which I would say is the most popular mode (cant speak for the PS3 mind you), and indeed in sim, when are going into a head-on fight, on the first pass as you enter <1KM aim directly onto the target but use the rudder slightly to angle you plane, it'll take some practice but is easy once you have mastered it, it greatly reduces the chance of them hitting you as they will expect your plane profile to be exactly opposite them, instead of to the side. Your fire is not effected

Always remember that turning battles are not good, you can ALWAYS be out turned or out manoeuvred by another plane in the air. Instead of engaging in a constant circle to find and kill your enemy, angle your plane up, flip upside down, and pull back on the stick. Good thing to do after you do an initial head-on pass.

One last thing I will mention and something which everyone has problems with; target fixation. If your going for a kill and you've been pounding away at the same plane for the last minute then some unlucky bugger flies between you and your target, go for him. No matter what state the other plane is in (unless its stalling/spinning/falling to its death) always change targets for the easier one. And sometimes if the kill really isnt happening, just change targets. Theres plenty of times I've had another plane that just appeared in front of me swipe my kill then get out of my view before I had a chance to do anything.

Sorry about the mini essay

Last edited by sloppy_clock; 05-25-2010 at 07:04 AM. Reason: impwoper use of engwish
Old 05-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ter4torn View Post
I'm an online n00b myself but I haven't had too much trouble...look up combat flight tactics on google....here's one:

http://library.thinkquest.org/3142/manuv.htm

so many classic scenarios seem to play out online...if you recognize them you'll at least have an idea what you should have done when you get killed the one that has got me the most kills is a properly timed initial turn...and stick with a plane you like so you get used to how it handles and how much you have to lead targets.
Nice link, cheers for that.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:57 AM
Approved Member

for BOP it's right here. You can probably find a lot of good info at general sim sites like flightsimhq.com.

For one on one dogfight tactics, find the book "Fighter Combat Tactics and Maneuvering."