Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 03-24-2013, 04:39 AM
Approved Member

Default Can't get AI wingmen to attack

Don't remember were it was ...but someone posted how to get your wingman to stop flying wing and engage. Basis were to get your Wingman in close formation... bring up the AirTargets Comm menu and if there are 5 options available to choose from...then you can order your wingman to engage.

Well this worked yesterday when I played. Once the enemy was spotted (a Tally Ho Call with ID and clock code) I was able to use the comm menu to get them engaged. Well....it didnt work tonight. Formation of Bombers called out.... have about 10 wingman that I can't get to engage. Very Annoying .

Just installed the TF Mod over my game with Fighter Aces Adolf Galland...but that is the only change.

Anyone else having problems getting your wingmen to engage?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Approved Member

Alright...must have been a missions bug..... I moved on to other missions and it works part of the time. It seems that if I intercept what i'm supposed to intercept (where i'm supposed to) I'm Allowed to detach my Wingmen. If I run into a group or run into my target group...but not where i'm supposed to ....I can't get them to engage.

This is very strange behavior. What's the trigger in game that makes it possible for wingmen to engage?

It's funny when I'm swirling with a spitfire...and I have 5 wingmen trying to fly form or join up on me....and not engage the Spit.

This is an interesting Bug as it makes it impossible to "win" missions in my Campaign...due to lack of friendly AI engaging the enemy.

One last thing.....I got wounded in a mission and RTBed immediatly to look for the first place to set down my aircraft. How do I detach wingmen so they dont fly into the ground if I try and land first??
Old 03-26-2013, 07:19 AM
Approved Member

A lot of these problems with AI are a result of incorrect waypoint settings...try editing those flight settings: example, free hunt vs. normal flight

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 03-26-2013, 09:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
How do I detach wingmen so they dont fly into the ground if I try and land first??
there isn't a command to detach wingmen- but issuing a FAR spacing command can help, particularly if you do it fairly close (~1min)to (crash)landing.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Approved Member

The reason that AI crash on landing is again incorrect waypoint settings...waypoints need to be realistic as to the normal capability of both the aircraft and the pilot. Example: you cant have the previous waypoint to the landing set at 2000m @ a short distance from the field.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 03-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Approved Member

okay...I don't even know how the way point system works. I end up winging it an flying to where I need to be. Is there a "trip" function with waypoints? IE i fly to a waypoint and it rolls to the next one?

I don't have waypoints on the map....I can only use the Comm menus to figure out Target waypoint. Then I fly there and nothing happens.....so I don't know.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Approved Member

It sounds like to me that your group are just too far away from the AI's orders given in the waypoint...try this, in the realism page over on the right side, un-check the visual aids. Now you can pull up the map to see if you are on course for the mission. When you can, read up on fmb guide and how to set waypoints. You can re-check visual aids when you are more knowledge in how it all works in game

Old 03-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

Default Can't get AI to land

I've long given up on my wingmen doing anything but follow me around. I'm playing single player campaigns. We were a three ship and were bouced by 4 109's. I managed to get two but my wingmen just follwed me around. They never engaged the other two fighters. After a while the 109's ran low on fuel and left for home.

When we got back to base I could not order my wingmen to RTB. We were on the last waypoint and they continued to follow me. Request landing? nothing,, nothing worked. I ended up landing and my wingmen crashed and died.

I know that the first post on this ai commnds was posted in 2008. Will there ever be a fix for this?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Approved Member

Well it is unfortunate that the AI were changed a bit in the rewrite, but thats what people wanted, change. Now AI aren't what they used be and thats a shame because they were very good when set correctly.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Well maybe at some point the folks that make these sims will listen to suggestons,

but not let the inmates run the asylum.

What I mean is that maybe we all got a little too enthusiastic about waht we were looking for in the perfect flight sim and buried the developers with a list of thigs that at the time could not be incorperated into a usable sim..

Cliffs of Dover.

In the future I hope the guys that take the time to make this cool stuff will listen,,,,,

but know when to ignore.

Stick with what is do-able and not kill themselves trying to please the techno geeks looking for a rust spot or an oil drip on a cowling so they can sit back and go "Hey honey come check this out!! Isn't that cool!" The wife will stroll over disinterested and say "Thats nice dear" and that will be as far as it goes.

COD is a perfect example. A dream that was awesme in concept, ruined by trying to please everyone.

Years in delay,, hyped talk,, cool pics and videos of stuff like the grass blowing in the wind..

I mean who the heck thought of that puppy?

Its a flight sim. You see the grass for what? 1 minute on startup and take off and 2 minutes for landing taxi and shutdown? What the heck do we need animated grass or trees blowing n the wind for? Except for those two times mentioned, the only time you are close enough to appreciate the grass or the blowing tree leaves is when it is coming thorugh your windscreen as you become a lawn dart.

Flight sims need four things..

1 Terrain that looks ok on the ground,, good but NOT PERFECT. Ground that looks "believable" From the cockpit at speed or at altitude,, forget the "on the field" taxi stuff.

2. Detailed aircraft,, and I don't mean count the rivets detail.. You don't get that close to an enemy plane in a fight. I'm not counting oil stains or bugs splattered on his wind screen in a fight. The only cool thing that needs to be modeled in a fight on an enemy plane is damage and REALLY cool flames as you light them on fire.. (of course fire comes with cool smoke).

3. As realistic a flight model as can be programmed.

4. A sim that can lessen numbers 1 and 2 so you can have large formations and epic fights without turning the average computer into a slide show..

And since I'm venting (well not too much,, I do like COD.)

We don't need all the extra voices on the RT,, I have found a HUGE tip to get COD to not give you multiple stutters in a fight is to TURN off the AI voices. Every time some AI has a bit to offer over the RT its a stutter.. For the first time.. After that that phrase is cached,, but there are so many little snippets of conversation programmed into COD to "Get the FeeL" that it makes the beginning of a fight a nightmare.

Vent off.... (small vent I'm not that angry just have a lot of things runnng through the brain.)

I've heard the guys are working on a new sim based on the engine used in Rise of Flight.

COD was promised to be a heart stopper, after many delays and years late it was a dud,, As far as I can tell we are left with that dud with no hope of it being fixed to be even close to what it was originally promised to be.

Are we to take them at their word that this next one will be any better?

I offered to be a tester of COD.. I heard nothing..

I WAS a beta tester for Rise Of Flight.

I'd like to Beta this new sim.. I'm not looking for extreme perfection, or pretty little gizmos on the ground for eye candy.. I'm looking for a Combat Flight Simulator.. Where no one ,, AI or human has an advantage.

Oh last rant.. (Soorry)

Can we please have a sim where the AI don't always climb as max performance... Unless the world was on fire,, pilots made it a point to not beat up on their engines. Every pilot knew and still knows they would need that engine later when it counted. Climb power settings were designed to be a balance of performance and engine longevity.. And no flight leader ever used power settings that required his mates to burn up engines to keep up.. Leaders like that found themselves in the ADJ office getting assigned to maintenance hops to test repaired aircraft.

Small rant off .. AGAIN,, sorry guys.

I hope this next sim is a ball breaker and a heart stopper.. I know I'll be buying it.

Last edited by 4H_Ccrashh; 03-28-2013 at 09:09 AM.