Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 01-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Approved Member

Default Spitfire I/II starting procedure

Hi,

Just to mention, I guess on the side of the cockpit, by the right arm position, there is a plate with check list so you may have a look at it.
There are some manuals of spitfire on the web you can find for the real procedure.

Talking about this game, since it is not 100% correct according to reality, it will be a little bit different.

Here is one very much practical and quite realistic. This assumes that you want an aircraft ready for any action while having to tune a minimum things during flight.

My own full version check-list :

TAKING OFF

COCKPIT AND GUNSIGHT LIGHTS ............ ON
CANOPY .................................................. ......... OPEN
RADIATOR .................................................. .... FULLY OPEN
MIXTURE .................................................. ....... RICH
PITCH .................................................. .............. FULL FINE
ELEVATOR TAB .............................................. ONE NOTCH UP
RUDDER TAB .................................................. . RIGHT
THROTTLE .................................................. ..... 1/2 INCH
GUNSIGHT DISTANCE WING SPAN ........... SET
ALTIMETER / COMPASS ............................... SET
FUEL COCK .................................................. ..... ON
ENGINE STARTER ............................................ ON

SAFE HEAT UP

BOOST .................................................. .............. MAINTAIN ZERO

AFTER TAKE OFF

GEAR .................................................. ................ UP
CLIMB RPM .................................................. .... 2850
CRUISE RPM .................................................. ... 2650

ECO CRUISE 35 GPH

ALTITUDE .................................................. ..... >10'000 ft
MIXTURE .................................................. ....... LEAN
BOOST .................................................. ............. LOW
SPEED .................................................. .............. MAINTAIN 200 MPH

COMBAT 40 TO 85 GPH DEPENDING UPON BOOST

LANDING

MIXTURE .................................................. ......... RICH
PITCH .................................................. ................ FULLY FINE
BELOW 160 MPH ............................................... GEAR DOWN
BELOW 140 MPH ............................................... FLAPS DOWN
GREEN LIGHT .................................................. ... ON
GREEN LIGHT MISSING .................................... OPERATE SAFETY LEVER

APPROACH SPEED ........................................... BELOW 140
FINAL SPEED .................................................. .. 90

SMALL FAQ

What are the correct temperatures for taxiing and taking off ?
Oil & water temperatures have passed white arc (30°C for oil / 60°C for water).

What is the best attitude if my engine is damaged ?
If you need to travel distance, use low rpm / high boost and gain altitude.

What are correct RPM settings ?
Full fine for take off and landing so as to reach high thrust with lower torque.
Max 2850 for climb and dogfight however the current engine model does not suffer from exceeding it.
Max speed 2650 RPM. You can notice boost decreasing above.
For cruise, as low as possible, however, you can't maintain a high boost at low rpm as it will damage the engine.

What is best climb speed ?
Keep speed above 140 MPH. Best climb rate should be obtained at approx 160 MPH. In a fight area, you should prefer to keep a maneuvering speed of 200 MPH.

EXPLANATIONS

Manual gear down lever (red lever bottow right) : click twice for proper action. If green light does'nt come, either the gear is not down & locked or you have an electrical failure, then other lights won't work either.

For three point landing, I use to progressively decrease power to something near 10% throttle, not fully down to zero, then maintain a little ammount of altitude (few ft) by increasing nose pitch until the aircraft falls down in a 3 pt landing by itself as speed passes down about 70 mph.

You want a fully fine pitch for taking off and landing since it will give you the maximum thrust with minimum torque hence less banking and yaw effect for same effective thrust.

I keep a very small ammount of thottle at landing so as to eliminate propeller torque and keep engine ready for power increase if required.

PRACTICAL NOTES

Since there is no difficult physical action, I generally skyp right rudder trim, I just compensate with yaw action during take off.
I generally skip altimeter and compass setting. Altimeter may be as wrong as 500 ft if not set.
I generally start up the engine right in the begining and set zero boost, then do all other stuff afterwards.

If you set up following keymap you just have to press "ctrl+shift+I" for engine startup and "ctrl+alt+shift+L" for lights on. Remember radiator open. The rest is of lesser importance.

Ctrl+I for fuel cock toggle
Shift+I for engine startup

Ctrl+L for cockpit light on (part of panel)
Shift+L for cockpit light on (other part of panel)
Alt+L for gunsight light on

For my own game, I have removed the bottom left & right windows which show the position of throttle, pitch, radiator, and which informs you about system failures. This way, I have to do it right and monitor what's wrong in the aircraft.
I hope they would implement this realism level into the game through a new option. As well magnetos turn on automatically, we miss the carburator heator and some other issues. Not sure the carb can ice. All those features would be interesting at full realism.

Last edited by jf1981; 01-07-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Approved Member

Great!

Looking forward to the same for Hurri and 109 !

Many thanks for taking the time to do this...i'm still struggling with CEM and start ups..

Cheers

Simon
Old 01-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Approved Member

Thanks so much for this, very helpful!

I believe carb can ice up. It seems to happen when you fly through clouds.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf1981 View Post
Hi,

Just to mention, I guess on the side of the cockpit, by the right arm position, there is a plate with check list so you may have a look at it.
There are some manuals of spitfire on the web you can find for the real procedure.

Talking about this game, since it is not 100% correct according to reality, it will be a little bit different.

Here is one very much practical and quite realistic. This assumes that you want an aircraft ready for any action while having to tune a minimum things during flight.

My own full version check-list :

TAKING OFF

COCKPIT AND GUNSIGHT LIGHTS ............ ON
CANOPY .................................................. ......... OPEN
RADIATOR .................................................. .... FULLY OPEN
PITCH .................................................. .............. FULL FINE
ELEVATOR TAB .............................................. ONE NOTCH UP
RUDDER TAB .................................................. . RIGHT
THROTTLE .................................................. ..... 1/2 INCH
GUNSIGHT DISTANCE WING SPAN ........... SET
ALTIMETER / COMPASS ............................... SET
FUEL COCK .................................................. ..... ON
ENGINE STARTER ............................................ ON

SAFE HEAT UP

BOOST .................................................. .............. MAINTAIN ZERO

AFTER TAKE OFF

GEAR .................................................. ................ UP
CLIMB RPM .................................................. .... 2850
CRUISE RPM .................................................. ... 2650

ECO CRUISE

ALTITUDE .................................................. ... >10'000 ft
MIXTURE .................................................. ....... LEAN
BOOST .................................................. ............. LOW
SPEED .................................................. .............. MAINTAIN 200 MPH

LANDING

PITCH .................................................. ................ FULLY FINE
MIXTURE .................................................. ........ RICH
BELOW 160 MPH ............................................... GEAR DOWN
BELOW 140 MPH ............................................... FLAPS DOWN
GREEN LIGHT .................................................. ... ON
GREEN LIGHT MISSING .................................... OPERATE SAFETY LEVER

APPROACH SPEED ........................................... BELOW 140
FINAL SPEED .................................................. .. 90

EXPLANATIONS

Manual gear down lever (red lever bottow right) : click twice for proper action. If green light does'nt come, either the gear is not down & locked or you have an electrical failure, then other lights won't work either.

For three point landing, I use to progressively decrease power to something near 10% throttle, not fully down to zero, then maintain a little ammount of altitude (few ft) by increasing nose pitch until the aircraft falls down in a 3 pt landing by itself as speed passes down about 70 mph.

You want a fully fine pitch for taking off and landing since it will give you the maximum thrust with minimum torque hence less banking and yaw effect for same effective thrust.

I keep a very small ammount of thottle at landing so as to eliminate propeller torque and keep engine ready for power increase if required.

PRACTICAL NOTES

Since there is no difficult physical action, I generally skyp right rudder trim, I just compensate with yaw action during take off.
I generally skip altimeter and compass setting. Altimeter may be as wrong as 500 ft if not set.
I generally start up the engine right in the begining and set zero boost, then do all other stuff afterwards.

If you set up following keymap you just have to press "ctrl+shift+I" for engine startup and "ctrl+alt+shift+L" for lights on. Remember radiator open. The rest is of lesser importance.

Ctrl+I for fuel cock toggle
Shift+I for engine startup

Ctrl+L for cockpit light on (part of panel)
Shift+L for cockpit light on (other part of panel)
Alt+L for gunsight light on

For my own game, I have removed the bottom left & right windows which show the position of throttle, pitch, radiator, and which informs you about system failures. This way, I have to do it right and monitor what's wrong in the aircraft.
I hope they would implement this realism level into the game through a new option. As well magnetos turn on automatically, we miss the carburator heator and some other issues. Not sure the carb can ice. All those features would be interesting at full realism.
Thanks for sharing! One for the Hurri would be great as well...

Regards.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Approved Member

Very nice, great breakdown! Thanks.

Maybe something to add to your list as a side note: (Another way to describe your climb RPM) is with a

Best-Rate-Of-Climb of 160MPH
Old 01-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Approved Member

Nice long list there, too bad it's not needed in the game. My Spitfire startup procedure:

1. Fuel cock
2. 5% throttle
3. Press I
4. Set radiator to full
5. Wait for right temp
6. Slam throttle
Old 01-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addman View Post
Nice long list there, too bad it's not needed in the game. My Spitfire startup procedure:

1. Fuel cock
2. 5% throttle
3. Press I
4. Set radiator to full
5. Wait for right temp
6. Slam throttle
well. the truth is, probably simpler lists would work IRL too. and despite what some people think, breaking a limit does not mean instant engine blow up. Most time you are given very conservative engine setings, to stretch the engine life to a maximum, ence such big lists.

going O/T. would be awesome if il2 was able to record engine status after each flight and save it for the next mission (this is for offline campaigns and such). so that you respect limits, or you may end up flying huricanes for a week while the spit is in the repair shoop.

i once was told that spitfires had a rip chord system ont throtle, and if you slamed the throttle past the limit the chord would break, and upon landing, the plane would go for a full engine revision.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Approved Member

At the moment, you can run at over boost 2650 rpm for as long as you wish, yet there is a very interesting website (spitfireperformance.com) where I have read reports of pilots using this over boost, the engine poured smoke, vibration and noise, and its powerful thrust increase could be felt at the cost of maintenance and lifetime.

Last edited by jf1981; 01-07-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Approved Member

Just want to say carb can ice at high alt. I had a carb failure at high alt a few days ago!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Approved Member

Addman,

Just one interesting point, I have noticed that in every checkilst, the items and their order matters for safety thought you may not notice at once.
You will benefit from adjusting the elevator trim (not only at take off but all flight phases) as the controls feature a non linear joystick curve, thus smooth and more accurate controls around the center position.
So if possible I would recommend to set an available spare axis for elevator trim so as to keep the plane in a natural equilibrum for the main flight phases.
It helps in a dogfight too, the possibility to set elevator tab to something close from your actuall speed and attitude so the aircraft is more stable and more accurate to control.

Spitfire is sensitive to the right distance for firing a taget as your guns cross at a predefined distance. You can both adjust this distance in the gun menu before flying and set your gunsight distance and ennemy aircraft wingspan.
This is explained more in details in other places.

In aircraft world, procedures are designed to affect many other areas, they are not just meant for a single purpose.

Last edited by jf1981; 01-08-2012 at 09:56 AM.