Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarphol View Post
Well, the game was publicaly annouced in january 2004, if I remember correctly.
Progress have been shown at uneven intervals since 2006.
The next logic step now, as I see it, would be a dedicated homepage.
And from the launch of that homepage, what would be a reasonable time to the acutal release of the game? From a marketing point of view I think one should say 9 - 12 months.
But it might of course be done a lot quicker, when the game is ready..

Skarphol
SoW:BoB from UBISOFT has been announced in 2004 and was cancelled in 2007.

The new game has the same working title, granted, but that is likely to change until release, as Oleg indicated, so it wont be the same game in any regard. Most probably it won't even be the same publisher, as Tree stated repeatedly.
So no, Olegs new flightsim has not been officially announced, yet, and I'd say that would come before the release.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Approved Member

Well, I can't really agree with you on that one, Feuerfalke.
Changing the publisher doesn't make it a new game.

If you write a book, you will probably need a publisher. If the cooperation with the publisher you normally use comes to an end, then you will have to find another publisher. You don't have to throw away what you have written because of that?
The same goes for a game developer. You will probably need a publisher. If the cooperation with UbiSoft goes down the drain, then you will have to find another publisher. But you don't delete the code you have produced because of this.

There might be an exception: If the old publisher has been financing the development of the new game, he might be the legal owner of the code. I don't think that it is the case here. But who knows?

Skarphol
Old 09-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Approved Member

I think that 1C could easily be the publisher if a problem with UBI

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 09-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
There might be an exeption: If the old publisher has been financing the development of the new game, and thus owns the code. I don't think that it is the case here. But who knows?
IIRC that was exactly what Oleg wrote before as one reason for the change.

To your excellent example with the book:
It was not the publisher who changed in the first place. The book you wanted to publish with your partner, yet another picture-book about 109s and Hurries, was officially cancelled.

Now you started a new book, with some pictures from the old one remaining, but a much wider focus, new data and analysis.

What sort of giant marketing failure would it be to keep people believing that your new benchmark of books on the BoB is just the old yet-another-picture-book you announced before?

Sorry, I doubt that. But if I knew people heared the call for the first book and are even slightly interested, I'd keep the true nature of my new benchmark a secret as long as possible and then BOOOF! - surprise everybody who was already waiting and cause a tremendous OHH! and AHHH! in the community. Best marketing you can get is the word of mouth.

Of course that's just my 2 cents, but on the other hand, there are a number of quotes even on this forum, where Oleg stated himself, that there will be solid information and regular updates, as soon as the game has been publicly announced. So, I doubt it's all grey marketing strategies and my personal imagination
Old 09-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Approved Member

Well, Feuerfalke, maybe you are right. By the way, I think not only my book-example was excellent, but the "Who knows?"-bit too!

In the meantime, I'm going to practice on my "OHH!"s and "AHHH!"s, as they have become a little bit rusty. The will hopefully come in handy soon.

Skarphol
Old 09-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarphol View Post
In the meantime, I'm going to practice on my "OHH!"s and "AHHH!"s, as they have become a little bit rusty. The will hopefully come in handy soon.
Infact, that is one thing I am VERY sure of.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Approved Member

As long as Oleg and his publishers don't go down the 'RoF' route all will be well wih the world!
Old 09-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Uther View Post
As long as Oleg and his publishers don't go down the 'RoF' route all will be well wih the world!
Bite your tongue for even mentioning such a possibility.

Wheels
Old 09-18-2009, 12:22 AM
Approved Member

Oh! So SOW:BoB is formally vaporware and we're just waiting for the as yet un-named Oleg Maddox simulation that has a orking title SOW:BOB to be formally announced?

No wonder I have become bitter and twisted, and there was I, just putting it all down to old age!

Only Joking!

Never bitter and only slightly twisted. I'm looking forward to BoB as much as anyone!
Old 09-18-2009, 12:33 AM
Approved Member

SOW was never cancelled in 2007. Oleg announced the project in 2004 for a release in 2005. Ubi announced SOW built on a new game engine in 2006 with a release schedualled for the end of 2007. Exact years I can't remember anymore. We haven't heard a word since from UBI, but they were involved with all the addons up and including IL-2 1946. Only a skeleton crew worked on SOW from 2004-2007, while most of the crew worked on PF, thru, IL-2 1946. The full crew started work on SOW in 2007.

IF...UBI is no longer in the picture, hopefully the matter is settled, so there won't be lawyers envolved effecting the release of SOW (or whatever name they decide on).