Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Approved Member

Oh applause leggit , you've stolen the show and put poor Chris in his place with that answer
Old 01-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Approved Member

Fanboys are very funny, in spite of their psychology being a little hard to understand.

You simply ask about the clouds in an aviation sim (1) and the guy speaks to you of the meaning of life !

(1) it seems to me that the aircrafts usually fly in the sky and that it happens sometimes that there are clouds in the sky.

Last edited by ChrisDNT; 01-19-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Approved Member

whats funny is the dribble people decide is worthy of posting chris.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Approved Member

In 2011 people have worries about some "minor" company as 1C releasing a combat flight sim WITHOUT decent weather system...

I'm always amazed!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBiSoMeM View Post
In 2011 people have worries about some "minor" company as 1C releasing a combat flight sim WITHOUT decent weather system...

I'm always amazed!
Glad you are amazed. This is a forum and people can ask questions. Now when you become an admin you can decided on stupid posts (and delete them if you please, not a dig at anyone).
But by your tone you sound personally offended that someone ask about clouds in a flight sim. If you look at the clouds in RoF you will understand why people are asking.
Even when a decent answer is given people will still ask.
It's what happens in a forum.
Maybe the OP wants to take the Tigermoth and fly from cloud to cloud counting them.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Hi all,

Seems strange to me there is no informations about simulating weather in a flight sim

The fact that the OP get blamed for asking is even stranger
Old 01-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Approved Member

The facts (gathered from various OM team interventions dating as far back as 2006!) are as follows:

1) It has alway been the intent to have a dynamic complex weather system in SoW, with wind, moving fronts, turbulence, variety of clouds and cloud coverage etc; Oleg even mentioned the possibility to use gliders at least in ridge soaring (I do not remember if
the clouds would have their own set of thermal features; however turbulence and sillage were certainly mentioned)

2) More recently, answering to someone asking to see more cloud variety than the (obviously) Il2 placeholders we get in the screenshots he answered that a dedicated artist was working full time on cloud shapes (and presumably types). There is also since long a guy working on the weather system dynamics.

3) At no time Oleg said there would be no new clouds or weather system modelling at release!!! This a rumor started from the answer above ("not ready yet")...
The truth is nobody knows what it will be, as nobody ever told anything on this subject.
It is possible however that this would not be ready in time due to optimization issues, as Luthier stated (very) recently that some nice stuff anticipated to be in the release had been removed temporarily, and would be introduced later on.
But we have no clue, really...so I would refrain inventing catastrophic scenarios!

JV
Old 01-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Approved Member

Well, the sim was from the start touted to feature dynamic weather front. That was actually THE main feature when the game was announced, even the title "Storm of War" was meant to be an indicator of the feature, so to speak.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Approved Member

why would the functionality of weather in a period combat sim be the main feature????....utter nonsense.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Approved Member

Maybe because weather and flight go forever together...and because a great many missions from all types (fight, bomb, ferry, recce...) were successful (or not, or even tragically ended) because of weather issues...because weather killed (and still kills) as surely as enemy fighters...
USAAF lost 88,000 crew in WWII including a staggering 32,000 (40%!) in non-combat related occurences: of them, I would say that the majority was weather-related...and this kind of terrible tally is certainly to be duplicated in the other air forces, if not worse as weather was not always very kind in the UK and continental Europe compared to the US training areas!

So I would not dismiss weather complex functionalities that lightly...I would even say this is vital and was really severely missing from Il2 (even if there was a first approach of weather depiction)!

JV