Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Approved Member

At least describe the computer you guys use for taking update pictures and movies!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Approved Member

I dont get why everyone here is so eager to hear the system specs.. seriously guys, if it's March walk to the store and turn the back of Cliffs of Dover over and there you go, the minimal system specs, problem solved.

Why do you want it now? to look at your up to date PC while you are waiting for CoD hits the stores? What use has that? And it's more expensive if you now already buy a complete system anyways, just wait it out! less expensive, more knowledge what really performs good and no whining afterwards!!

That day or 3 that takes you to install all the hardware and software ( If you are slow or careful) is not the end of the world you know!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Approved Member

The only thing that we've heard straight from a developer is that it needs 3GB of RAM minimum. The rest is up for speculation.

My personal guess is based on Luthier saying he snaps pics and videos on his own PC which is old, yet the videos we've seen are smooth with adequate frame rates on his chosen (i'm guessing low) detail settings and it still looks good enough.
Plus, we saw the videos from Igrommir where it ran with stutters, albeit on a below mimimum specs machine and at full detail.
Igrommir PCs were i5 with nVidia 460, but only had 2GB of RAM and that forced the game to buffer textures/read from the hard disk too often when flying over land, resulting in the stutters. Over the sea however it was smooth enough, so i'm guessing it was entirely due to the lack of additional RAM.

Taking all that into account to make an informed guess, for minimum requirements i'm guessing:

CPU: dual or quad core (most likely quad, unless the dual is running at least a specified high clock speed or more, eg it might run on a 3.2Ghz intel core2duo or equivalent AMD CPU, but not on a 2.6Ghz dual core)
RAM: 3GB as mentioned before
Graphics card: Something like Ati 48xx or nVidia 28x (ie, the previous, DX10 series of cards) for good FPS at medium to medium-high detail. On lowest detail probably even older cards might be possible (eg, nVidia 8800 if running low detail and DX9 only)
Hard Drive space: Anywhere between 10 and 20GB.

I think it will not have steep minimum requirements to just run it acceptably if you are willing to turn off a few visual goodies, but it will take a real monster of a PC to max it out completely.
When IL2 was released there was almost no PC that could max it out either, in fact there were "hidden" features like the detailed water and the perfect mode that got "unlocked" later on with patches and expansions, as PCs got faster.

I'm guessing something similar will happen with CoD as well, so that a lot of people will be able to run and enjoy it (thus ensuring good sales) but almost nobody will be able to have everything cranked up to maximum on release day, maybe not even with multiple DX11 generation cards in crossfire/SLI. After all, in most flight sims the real bottleneck tends to be the CPU in most cases...so even if i had dual 5970s on a core2quad i could be doing worse than a guy with a single 5850 on an 6-core i7.

But, like i said, it's just guessing
Old 01-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Approved Member

You could do witha single core to as long as you got a good gcard with cuda
Ghz wouldn't really matter that much either
Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Approved Member

What about the iphone app version ?
Old 01-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefood View Post
You could do witha single core to as long as you got a good gcard with cuda
Ghz wouldn't really matter that much either
Flight sims are usually CPU intensive so I'm going to disagree with this.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Approved Member

Even RoF struggles with dual cores,so definitely get a quad at least!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Approved Member

Wanna know what to get? Get this and you'll be good to go:

CoolerMaster HAF-X full tower ATX Case
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 Six-Core Desktop Processor @4.5ghz
ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 Desktop Memory
CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Power Supply
3 x EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Black Ops Superclocked edition Graphics Cards
2 x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
120 gigabyte Intell SSD
LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner - Bulk SATA WH10LS30 LightScribe Support
Lite-On 24X DVD Writer
Noctua NH-D14 cpu cooler

If that's not going to run it on three 22 inch screens I just wasted $2800.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:00 AM
Approved Member

Thats pretty good for $2800...built yourself?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigC208 View Post
If that's not going to run it on three 22 inch screens I just wasted $2800.
With that system shouldn't you treat yourself to slightly bigger screens?
Closed Thread