Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Approved Member

Spot on Gunny.

See you over the Channel sir.

S!

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 01-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum View Post
"activation" could mean when you activate the installer.
It could also mean every time you activate the game.

We don't know (and speculation is pointless right now).

No it can't.

If it needs internet to play, there has to be a label for it.

Like this:

As opposed to this:
Old 01-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Approved Member

How can you tell if "internet connection required to activate" means "internet connection required to activate every time you play" or "internet connection required to activate every time you install"?

...because I can't tell!
Old 01-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSA/TX-Gunslinger View Post
I'll just be extremely thankful to have the content.

I could care less about the DRM scheme. Hopefully it's robust and completely protects the content.

These DRM posts are so old and archaic. No one of any significance listens to them.

We all need the content protected as much as possible. From my perpective as a user - it's in my own best interest to keep the development dollars going to the creator and to keep the simulation intact from tampering.

S!

Gunny
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Approved Member

Because, the word "activation" says once you done it, your game is "activated"
And unless you desactivate it by uninstalling it, it stays "activated" !!

what is wrong with you guys ? have you ever heard of a game that activates itself on each launch ?
it's not called activation in this case but authentication/login in...

activation means you register an account with a CD key or something of the like...

Plus that guy from german ubi forum said it was a one time connection required !
Old 01-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaHzModAn View Post
Because, the word "activation" says once you done it, your game is "activated"
And unless you desactivate it by uninstalling it, it stays "activated" !!

what is wrong with you guys ? have you ever heard of a game that activates itself on each launch ?
it's not called activation in this case but authentication/login in...

activation means you register an account with a CD key or something of the like...

Plus that guy from german ubi forum said it was a one time connection required !
Sounds very good to me!
Old 01-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qpassa View Post
Thats absurd. If you just need it for active I see it positive, less "pirates" and Oleg would have more money for development

How you gonna stop 70 thousand pirates
Old 01-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyerz View Post
How you gonna stop 70 thousand pirates
It will always work better than without any sort of protection... so far I think RoF has been quite succesful on their strategy to counter pirates, and they're still improving it, making it for the fair customer easy to play offline.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
I'll just be extremely thankful to have the content.
So will I but that doesn't mean I don't care what else the publisher or developer has decided that I must install to play the game that I've paid money to play.

Quote:
I could care less about the DRM scheme. Hopefully it's robust and completely protects the content.

These DRM posts are so old and archaic. No one of any significance listens to them.
People of significance... who are they? If you're talking about the publishers or developers, then of course they're not listening, they're the one's that wants to decide how we are able to use the product that we paid for.

Quote:
We all need the content protected as much as possible. From my perpective as a user - it's in my own best interest to keep the development dollars going to the creator and to keep the simulation intact from tampering.
You are wrong. DRM is never created or used for the benefit of the user. DRM's sole purpose is to enforce how the product - that you paid for - can be used by you.
It's also highly doubtful if DRM has any effect on piracy.
That DRM is for you is just what the creators of DRM wants you to think.
People that just download a cracked game are not very likely to pay for that game even if they couldn't get it cracked anyway, so there's probably very little gain there.

Saying that DRM is for the users best is just the same thing as when the politicians say that taking away our civil rights and freedoms are for our own protection against terrorists.

No, to me, DRM will always be the thorn in the side of people that actually pay, we're the ones being subjected to unwanted software. Anyone who downloads the cracked version is likely to being spared the DRM software.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qpassa View Post
Thats absurd. If you just need it for active I see it positive, less "pirates" and Oleg would have more money for development
How is less pirates equal to more money for Oleg?
That's really over-simplifying the situation.
It's not like everyone that uses pirated software would start paying for said software if it was the only way to get it.
Most "pirates" just wouldn't bother with the game at all unless they could get it for free.
So from the developers and publishers side there's nothing lost, nothing gained, unless you count the loads of free marketing.