Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 08-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaaid View Post
gootta love those who didnt lose contact with their inner child

LOL, nice one Raaaid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWMV View Post
I politely disagree!
If anything I think the AK's reputation for reliability and ease of use/maintenance can not be overrated. Ive pulled these things out of Iraqi irrigation ditches, kicked open the bolt, locked, loaded and fired without issue. And these things had been in the mud so long that the stock had rotted away, and that's saying a lot for laminated wood!
The accuracy does leave a bit to be desired by western standards, but overall its acceptable for an assault rifle. Add to that the sheer power advantage of the x39 and ability to penetrate light cover and I would much rather have it than the 5.56.
you're missing my point. I know they will shoot even in the worst conditions, but no maintenance will still do them no good. And yes, the AK ammo is the best in its range, big fat bullets that can knock through a lot more than the flimsy 5.56..

Quote:
Perhaps you can explain the garand thing to me. I loath the platform. Seriously it feels like I'm shouldering a 4x4 fence post. Nothing like a nice sleek 98K or even a Mosin-Nagant. Overall I'm not a fan.
IMHO as a semiauto rifle it's probably one of the best designs ever. It can be a bit heavy, but composite stocks and special straps make it still very portable and above all dead accurate. It's only 10cm longer than a SCAR-H, but this means it burns the 30-06 powder all the way and gives it an effective range of 450yds (I've seen folks with M-1D sniper hitting gong targets at 1000yds).
The sleek design means that you have no annoying magazine under, and the 30-06 is far superior to the .308.
Don't know why you're comparing it to bolt action rifles though, they are designed and meant to be used in a different way.
I have a K98 with ZF-41 and that is by far one of the best bolt action rifles ever. Forget about the Russian Mosin-Nagant crap, the Mauser bolt action is one of the smoothest, safest and most perfect things ever.
I have an Enfield No.4 T as well, and despite being considered the best sniper rifle of WW2, I can't come to terms with the action, but it surely is a dead accurate gun.

Quote:
As to the Romanian stuff it has gotten much better in recent years. The Romanian G kit is the kit by which all others are judged for your own home built gun, and the WASR series of rifles are much, MUCH better than they used to be. Canted sights and terrible mag wobble are a thing of the past. Add to that a whopping $400 price out the door (in a free state anyway, not here in the peoples republic of kalifornistan). Even the little Draco's are a nifty little gun. Surprisingly accurate at 100 meters for such a short AKM. Nearly my favorite pistol-nearly.

The PSL that you mention actually has nothing to do with the Dragunov. Its a DM weapon yes, but the construction is unrelated. Its based off of the RPK receiver with the heavier trunnions. The biggest thing going against it is the barrel-long and skinny. Mine has a tendency to climb due to barrel whip during quick bursts, but nothing dramatic. Again perfectly acceptable for a 400 meter rifle. If you actually take slow, deliberate shots with it it is surprisingly accurate even with the surplus ammo flooding the market right now. With handloads and slow fire Ive actually watched someone pull off a 1.5 MOA group pretty easily with the platform.

If I lived in a free state Id probably buy two WASR's and a boat load of ammo for the price of an Arsenal. not to mention Arsenal has, in the past, taken strong stances against the 2nd amendment and heavily discriminated against certain states, to the point of taking retailers to court for selling their product to California regardless of the legal nature of the transactions.
well yeah, it's still Rumanian junk IMHO. If you want a good modern sniper rifle you need to look at Tikka or Remington (the 700 Police is just a perfect platform), they're not cheap, but man what fantastic, simple, precise guns they are!
Old 08-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWMV View Post
Oh man youve been lied to!

I suppose it depends on what you mean by Quality and good price.

A quality weapon would not have a finish that peels off, which is something bordering on common with Arsenals.
Then the good price thing. I just cant agree with ya there. Think of it like this. Arsenal takes a $350 Saiga (which they get for about $280, the last time I looked at RSR wholesale anyway that was the dealer price), adds a new trigger mechanism and does the butstock/front end conversion.

I did this myself for less than $200. But arsenal wants to charge up to and over $1000 for their rifles? insanity. They change nothing about the gun other than cosmetics. Heck I can talk someone through a conversion or just point them to a step by step website that will show you how to do it. Save yourself $500 bucks for ammo and other rifles.

Damn, you are right about the prices. Last time I checked, quite a while ago, arsenals used to sell under $700. Anyway, I can just look and droll, since anything that looks, smells, or sounds like AK is prohibited up here.
EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked+ACX cooler.
8GB G.Skill ripjaws DDR3-1600
Crucial M4 128GB SSD+Crucial M4 256GB SSD
Seagate 750GB HDD
CH Fighterstick+CH Pro pedals+Saitek X45
Win7 64bit
Old 08-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws2002 View Post
Damn, you are right about the prices. Last time I checked, quite a while ago, arsenals used to sell under $700. Anyway, I can just look and droll, since anything that looks, smells, or sounds like AK is prohibited up here.
CA?
Old 08-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternjaeger II View Post
CA?
Yeah.
Seagate 750GB HDD
Win7 64bit
Old 08-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws2002 View Post
Yeah.
dude, it sucks, but you still had one of the best governors in history... GET TO THE CHOPPAAAAA!!!!! GET DAUUUN!!!!

as per the AKs, not even the semiauto only are allowed?
Old 08-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Approved Member

Bringing out the inner child ....

Old 08-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
dude, it sucks, but you still had one of the best governors in history... GET TO THE CHOPPAAAAA!!!!! GET DAUUUN!!!!

as per the AKs, not even the semiauto only are allowed?
I mean "Ca" as in Canada.
Seagate 750GB HDD
Win7 64bit
Old 08-12-2012, 02:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
you're missing my point. I know they will shoot even in the worst conditions, but no maintenance will still do them no good. And yes, the AK ammo is the best in its range, big fat bullets that can knock through a lot more than the flimsy 5.56..
Ive actually got a bet going with the wife on this. I havent cleaned/maintained any of my AK's for the last 2 years, and I bet I can go 5 without having issues. She thinks 3 years.

Obviously not the right thing to do, but hey even after 2, no maint, and thousands of rounds of com-bloc surplus they still run like champs! All Romainian too, except for the Saiga conversions.

Quote:
IMHO as a semiauto rifle it's probably one of the best designs ever. It can be a bit heavy, but composite stocks and special straps make it still very portable and above all dead accurate. It's only 10cm longer than a SCAR-H, but this means it burns the 30-06 powder all the way and gives it an effective range of 450yds (I've seen folks with M-1D sniper hitting gong targets at 1000yds).
The sleek design means that you have no annoying magazine under, and the 30-06 is far superior to the .308.
Don't know why you're comparing it to bolt action rifles though, they are designed and meant to be used in a different way.
I have a K98 with ZF-41 and that is by far one of the best bolt action rifles ever. Forget about the Russian Mosin-Nagant crap, the Mauser bolt action is one of the smoothest, safest and most perfect things ever.
I have an Enfield No.4 T as well, and despite being considered the best sniper rifle of WW2, I can't come to terms with the action, but it surely is a dead accurate gun.
For certain accurate, but the round is frankly obsolete. .308 can be loaded to duplicate and exceed 30-06 performance and its starting to dry up in a bad way. There is a lot to be said for arming yourself with a current caliber.
My biggest complaint about the garand isn't the weight, Ive been a 240 gunner and a mortarman so this rifle isn't going to drag me down! Its the shape. I mean its just...awkward! To me anyway. I mean I seriously just can not get into a comfortable position with the garand.

And whats this about M.N. crap! I happen to love the platform, for the same reason i appreciate all Russian guns-simplicity and form that follows function.
My 1915 Peter the Great M.N. will shoot just as well as any of my mausers, and after a thorough cleaning (I'm talking DAYS to get the near 100 years of gunk out) the bolt is very smooth.
Only thing that really gets me on the M.N. is feeding it. You go to push the rounds into the mag and before you bottom out there is this ledge on the side of the receiver that can tear your thumb nail off!

Ive never had the opportunity to shoot an Enfield, but it is quite a fetching platform. If I could ever find a reasonably priced Ishapore Enfield in my area Id be on it like a fat kid on cake.

Quote:
well yeah, it's still Rumanian junk IMHO. If you want a good modern sniper rifle you need to look at Tikka or Remington (the 700 Police is just a perfect platform), they're not cheap, but man what fantastic, simple, precise guns they are!
Well your comparing apples to automobiles here. Neither the PSL or the Drag are sniper rifles by western standards, they are more akin to a designated marksmans rifle, more comparable to a scoped GI M-14. Performance wise they are pretty similar.

I see that your from Canada. That sucks (as far as guns go). Even in California we can own Ar/AK platform rifles.

You know what surprises me though is the seemingly common nature of the SVT-40 up there. Here they are like Hens teeth, and can cost thousands of dollars. Ive spoken to Canadians who bought their 5-round magazine SVT's for $400. Id do terrible things to own an SVT.

EDIT: And if your going to talk actual sniper rifles, dont forget Savage! They consistently win competitions here with out of the box stock rifles, going against custom Rem/Tikka variants.

EDIT 2: Misread-jaws is out of Canada-my mistake!

Last edited by CWMV; 08-12-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:41 AM
Approved Member

You owe it to yourself to get an Enfield or 4. Slickest bolt action ever, even if not the strongest.

I have everything from a Long Lee up to a 1950 Long Branch, and a 2A1 Ishapore. The WW1 No.1 Mk.III is my favorite though. The old axiom about WW1 rifles really is true. The Germans had the best hunting rifle (98 Mauser), the Americans had the best target rifle (03 Springfield), and the British had the best battle rifle.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov