Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 09-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Approved Member

I nearly missed this feature.
I created a Courchevel or Lukla like field and it works fine.
Thank you Team Daidalos!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Approved Member

Default Il-2 4.12.1 swordfish flares

Flight of 3 Swordfish on patrol in North Afrika, drop their flares over a column of Italian light tanks.

Effect is a bit bloated

British Forces defensive line in North African town.

Limited objects available in 4.12.1 stock make this more than a challenge to create something that suits the terrain. Not even a flag is available unfortunately. Never mind, must make do with what we have been blessed with

Last edited by KU_Rigamortis; 09-01-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAD-1949 View Post
I nearly missed this feature.
I created a Courchevel or Lukla like field and it works fine.
Thank you Team Daidalos!
pic ?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:35 AM
Approved Member

Like this? Very dangerous runway I imagine.

Last edited by KU_Rigamortis; 09-02-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:03 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
What strategies are people using to get these fields to work online?

Static runway (stationary ship object) placed strategically? That seems to work. I haven't been able to tap into spawning into static aircraft or anything else... all I get is air starts.
Static runways (stationary ship object) work fine online.
Spawning set to spawn from static aircraft.
In homebase set the airstarts to never airspawn.
It should be set to that by default.

The only problem I had was that this particular server
threw a wobbly and hung the mission on transferring mission
because it didn't like any of the new 4.12 ground plates.
Why it didn't, is something I'm letting the server's operators work out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grab0002a.jpg (39.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg grab0003a.jpg (46.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 09-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Approved Member

Strategies?

I've only been building dogfight type missions for 4.12.1. More experienced builders will no doubt have much better tips; but I'll toss forth what little I know and see if it helps you:

Strategy 1 - Using AI with static airfields:
Player built static airfields seem to function a little differently in regards to how AI spawn as compared to the airfields which are built into the maps.
- For example, I can place a home base icon over a map's airfield, then place static aircraft, and finally place taxi to takeoff waypoints. In online mode the AI will spawn at the static aircraft, start engines and taxi to takeoff normally. In contrast, on a player built airbase the AI will function as described above but only while playing the mission inside the FMB. Once the mission is loaded into a server (in this case my own PC) these same AI will not spawn in at static aircraft but rather spawn in a line at the takeoff point of the home base perhaps even colliding with other static objects and exploding.

AI will land at a static airfield, but they wont taxi off the runway to a parking spot. I think this is because there are no static spots to taxi to (the one you can see in options for map built airfields). Therefore, the AI tend to just roll to a stop and sit there blocking the runway. After experimenting with this problem, I again decided it is best to just have AI land at map generated airfields.

If anyone knows a solution to this, I'd be very happy. In the meantime I suggest using only the airfields which come with a map for AI that you wish to have taxi and land.

Strategy 2 - Selecting a location for your static airfields

- When selecting a location to build your airfield runway, I suggest making it close to the shore. The reason for this is random tree generation. Depending on your graphic settings, and those of players on your server, trees (which you can move through without harm) will randomly generate on the runway, on the taxiways, and pretty much anywhere they can.

- Find the flatlands. When selecting a location to build, place a large square static runway and see how the land sits inside the box. If you place a static runway on a high spot, you may discover that players spawn into static aircraft a few feet off the ground and then proceed to crash into the ground.

- You can make a static runway that supports both land aircraft and sea planes, but again you have to make very sure of the land height. In this case, land based aircraft may spawn in on a static spot ok, but the seaplanes will spawn in a few feet up in the air and crash. You may have to place most of the static runway in the water and only have enough for the runway on land.

Strategy 3 - Countries, aircraft, and limits:
- Once you have built your static airfield (including placing the static runway from stationary ship objects), you need to place a home base icon over the field. Next adjust the radius of the home base to a reasonable radius. Next select the side (red or blue) and the countries you wish to be assigned to this home base. Next select the types of aircraft available. If you desire you can limit the number of aircraft available on a static airfield and what weapons a plane can carry.
Next adjust the air start tab so that all options are zero (0). If you desire radar to work at the airfield, you enter the 3 limiting parameters (maximum detection distance, upper and lower detection height). Make sure to place a radar object within the radius of your airfield or you will not enable the feature. Don't forget to place a siren and select the correct color.

- Limited numbers of aircraft. Say that you want only five Hurricane II's available at a static airfield, and that damaged/destroyed aircraft will impact this number. You should then place only 5 static (DF tagged) Hurricane II's on your airfield. By the way, I think it is possible to actually ferry aircraft to a field and replenish lost numbers. Probably not something worth doing in a small DF map, but in a large SEOW type campaign it is very valuable to replace lost aircraft at frontline bases.

Not sure what else to add. Experiment and test. Rinse and repeat.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Approved Member

Default Observation balloons

An allied skin, or a neutral skin would be appreciated. Nothing like having the Kaiser's balloons over your base to give you the willies

In this case I photo shopped the iron cross placing a French roundel upon it, but in game the observation balloons only have a German skin.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG26_Alpha View Post
pic ?
Unfortunately I cant do screenshots,
I have a two screen environment and if I ever try to make FMB screenshots it only shows the second screens content
But I have a ntrk file
Attached Files
File Type: zip quick0001.zip (225.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAD-1949 View Post
Unfortunately I cant do screenshots,
I have a two screen environment and if I ever try to make FMB screenshots it only shows the second screens content
But I have a ntrk file
Very cool
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uphill.jpg (86.1 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 09-02-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Approved Member

--Courchevel Airport: Courchevel, France--

*Why is it Dangerous: Courchevel Airport is located in the French Alps; the largest linked ski area in the world. This airport is home to a relatively shorter runway, about 1700 feet long, and has a large hill towards the middle of the strip. The runway is so short that pilots have to land on an inclined strip to slow down the aircraft's speed, while the pilot has to takeoff on a decline to gather enough speed for a successful take off. Pilots are required to obtain certification before they even attempt to conquer this dangerous runway.

--Lukla Airport: Khumbu, Nepal--

*Why is it Dangerous: The Lukla Airport is surrounded by huge mountain terrain, thin air, and a highly unpredictable climate. Apart from all these shortcomings, the short, sloping runway of the airport makes a pilot's job all the more challenging. Due to the changeable weather, sometimes flights are delayed or the airport is closed for the day. Some pretty nasty accidents have occurred ever since its inception; on October 12, 2010, a Sita Air Dornier Do 228 lost braking control during landing and damaged its nose. Thankfully, all the passengers and crew members survived without any injuries.

Aviar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg courchevel-airport.jpg (63.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg lukla-airport.jpg (81.4 KB, 16 views)
NVIDIA GTX 760 - 2GB
Creative SB ZX SBX
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
27" AOC LED - 2752
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
CH FighterStick-Pro Throttle-Pro Pedals
Logitech G13 Gameboard
GoFlight GF-T8 Module
WIN 8.1

Last edited by Aviar; 09-02-2013 at 09:20 PM.