Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 02-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
I can do buildings - if I can figure out how to get the skins to look right.
it came only with expirience)

Old 02-06-2016, 10:59 PM
Approved Member

Well there has been a model mapping issue that has bugged me for a long, long time, it is to do with the mapping of the upper halves of the cannon pods for the Do335 V13. For the most part mapping issues can generally be resolved through clever manipulation of the publicly accessible skins, however in this case the issue can only be solved at the mapping level, I was able to tweak out all the other mapping issues on this skin but there is just no way to tweak out this one.

This is caused by having two differently placed source locations for the mapping of the upper gun pods resulting in each having asymmetric panelling details.
(the lower portions of the pods do not have this issue as they are sourced from the same two locations of the underside of the rear fuselage, from memory).

The chosen locations also tend to create difficulties with matchups of custom paint schemes.

In the following image (1.) you can see on this portion of the skin (tweaked default skin by the way) where the mapping is currently sourced from (Yellow and Green), while the area that I've outlined in red would seem to be a far better candidate for this mapping. I say this because in all the skins that I have looked at this area seems to have the most consistent match regardless of the paint scheme type that has been applied.

1. Portion of skin as seen in Photoshop

2. This is how said skin relates to the model as when seen in the loading screen

Now you're probably wondering how any of the above relates to this particular thread, well any competent modeller could solve this in a matter of minutes, and if a TD member (or anyone else for that matter) would like to fix it then that would be great, however this may also be an excellent exercise for a novice to learn how mapping is related to a model, as it would not require any 3D remodelling or even any changes to the existing default or custom skins to correct.

When I finally do get hold of 3ds Max (I still have to wait for my son to get his student enrollment finalised, which could be another 2 or 4 weeks) I could take a look at doing it myself.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:02 AM
Approved Member

Can create stuffs for Il2 using blender?

I'm just curious, because I'm student for web design and 3d modelling (a bit), but would like to know how to work for video game...
Old 02-07-2016, 07:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic727 View Post
Can create stuffs for Il2 using blender?

I'm just curious, because I'm student for web design and 3d modelling (a bit), but would like to know how to work for video game...
i think yes ... but in meshes in 3d max and blender present some difference i mean difference in polycount system ... i may be wrong ... but i saw how one of my friend work in blender ... and afrter it model was impoted in 3d max... and there was more poly that it was shown i blender ...

neverthenless - all import in il2 is doing from 3d max ... i see two way... 1. work in 3d max ... 2. work in blender .. and in final stade imort model to 3d max and checked it there ...

Old 02-07-2016, 07:28 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudkopf View Post
any competent modeller could solve this in a matter of minutes
yes .... but only he have that model ... for that need extract it from il ... properly convert in format which 3dmax can use .. and need that what you discribe not only for lod00 ... i think need make similar actions with lod01 and may be lod02 ....

it's not that hard ... if you have model/tools/wish/expirience ...

Old 02-07-2016, 07:32 AM
Approved Member

that's why i love make something new... it's always more interesting ... but it's only my opinion ... i know people which love reworking something already exist

Old 02-07-2016, 09:10 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sita View Post
that's why i love make something new... it's always more interesting ... but it's only my opinion ... i know people which love reworking something already exist
I find the biggest issue when working on pre-existing CAD models is trying to figure out how the original creator built it, in many cases the models that I have had to rework lack even most basic of design intent, assembled with no relationship to the origin or to other assembly components, things of major importance in the SolidWorks environment.

From that aspect I can see why designing from the start can have it's appeal.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:05 PM
Approved Member

Is there a "wish list" of building/ground objects DT would like for its maps?
Old 02-09-2016, 09:07 AM
Approved Member

I will open a different thread with the list and references for them
Old 02-09-2016, 09:44 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _1SMV_Gitano View Post
I will open a different thread with the list and references for them
Cool