Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 09-14-2015, 01:21 PM
Approved Member

Default Larger maps

Hi all!

IMHO the added B-24D diserves a map according with its operational story, where long range bomb missions might be done.

Actually the largest map we have is "Gulf of Finland"... but that region never was an operational scenary for the Allies.

I've found this map named La Chute (The Fall) which is tailored to those requirements... for the WTO, at least.

This map covers from W of London to Berlin and Dresden, and from N of London to S of Paris, including Belgium, Netherland and S of Denmark. Its design is mainly focused on long range bombing and it has a lot of potential targets.

This weekend I've used this map to fly a B-17 (v4.12.2+HSFX 7 mod), taking-off at Raydon (England) to bomb Berlin, and RTB.

The complete mission lasted about... 6 hours!!

The idea was to test my skills on air navigation in as most realistic conditions as possible: no waypoints at all; instead, using printed maps, beacons, my own preflight planning and an E6B 'whizz wheel' for inflight calculations; windy and cloudy weather conditions.

In short: the experience was very close to what many crews of bombers told. But more comfortable ... you know: drinking a beer, or ordering a pizza... all what a real crew couldn't do while they were flying.

This map also could be used for to design LW missions over London, Coventry, etc. (Battle of England); or for a fictional operation Sea Lion; or for Overlord; or for whichever mission/campaign that a creative designer could imagine.

Perhaps TD could ask to the map's author (Spit973) his permission to add 'La_Chute' to the set of maps with the next patch.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:34 PM
Approved Member

This is really a nice map for heavies bombers like the B24, good point!
It would be very nice to have it on the next patch
Old 09-14-2015, 07:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier_Fortune View Post
Hi all!

IMHO the added B-24D diserves a map according with its operational story, where long range bomb missions might be done...
SF, actually that's one reason the New Guinea New Britain map is in 413. B24's operated from the Northern Territory (Australia), Dobodura as well as later from Nazdab. If you really want to try out a long mission, take off from Dobodura with B24D to bomb Wewak or Rabaul then land back home.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Actually the largest map we have is "Gulf of Finland"... but that region never was an operational scenery for the Allies.
That depends on your definition of "Allies" - there were a few Soviets fighting in that area, although they were mostly skirmishing with the Germans in the far eastern portion of the map, near the the mouth of the Neva river.

Quote:
This map covers from W of London to Berlin and Dresden, and from N of London to S of Paris, including Belgium, Netherland and S of Denmark. Its design is mainly focused on long range bombing and it has a lot of potential targets.
It's up to the modder to submit the map to TD for inclusion in the game. As long as the map meets the quality standards, there's nothing inherently wrong with having a "slimmed down" map of Northern or Western Europe at 1:1 scale.

Maps that would really work well for the B-24D would be those that mostly feature large stretches of ocean with bits of land at the edges. For example, the North Atlantic from Scotland/N. Ireland to the tip of Iceland, or the tip of Cornwall to the Northern end of the Bay of Biscay.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:36 AM
Approved Member

Here's the problem for large maps in my opinion.

They map builder spend a lot of time designing, building and testing the large maps. Like the Solomons and New Guinea/ New Britian map. But when it comes to playing coops or dogfights, most if not all players want to only fly about 5 minutes before the action starts. There are very few of us that actually enjoy the flying part. Most just want to hop in and start shooting.

So on the larger maps that results in about a 20-30 km square area that is used while the map makers spent all this time on the other areas that will never gut used.
Dolphin
Old 09-15-2015, 10:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monguse View Post
SF, actually that's one reason the New Guinea New Britain map is in 413. B24's operated from the Northern Territory (Australia), Dobodura as well as later from Nazdab. If you really want to try out a long mission, take off from Dobodura with B24D to bomb Wewak or Rabaul then land back home.
Hi Monguse:

Of course, I've played some long range missions (made by myself) to enjoy the B-24, flying that map.

But IMHO New Guinea - New Britain is amazing for air-naval engagements, envolving a lot of warships, land and/or carrier based airctafts, and flying boats.

For strategic bombing, NG-NB map has too few and too small targets. Rabaul, i.e., only has a bunch of houses and an airfield: good targets for B-25s or A-20s if they had sufficient range.

Really I miss a map like La Chute by two main reasons:

- Fun: This map may be used almost endlessly. It has many big cities (London, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Anthwerpen, Koln, Dresden, Hamburg, Berlin, etc), and a lot of small cities and towns which had factories historically targeted by Allied bombers; and also it has strategic targets like Peenemünde.

- Epic and realism: of course, all military veterans deserve the greatest respect. But, IMHO, the strategic bombing campaign in the Pacific lacks the epic of similar campaigns in the ETW. USA counts 407,000 military KIA only in Europe, and UK counts 403,000; over 100,000 of them were Allied bomber crewmen, and 12,000 bombers were shot down. Certain statistics are very impresive: the Tour of Duty for all the heavy bombers along the war (30 missions) did produce 71% of KIA/MIA; for medium bombers (50 missions) did produce 48% of KIA/MIA.
A map like La Chute can give us a more accurate idea about the difficulties, risks and dangers those guys faced to reach their targets and come back in one piece.

But only it's my opinion and my taste.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:52 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Maps that would really work well for the B-24D would be those that mostly feature large stretches of ocean with bits of land at the edges. For example, the North Atlantic from Scotland/N. Ireland to the tip of Iceland, or the tip of Cornwall to the Northern end of the Bay of Biscay.
Why...?

AFAIK, the B-24s were used to close the North Atlantic gap against the U-Boote, and they were equiped with surface radars to spot them. (Not with bombs).

The only reason I can guess for not to do big land maps (about 1000 x 600 km) is a technical limitation: more land means more objects; and such maps may takes ages to upload in the FMB. And, when a player would try to play it, he could get a CTD. A big surface of water solves the problem because it is only a flat texture.

But the guy who has designed La_Chute, has solved that problem in a smart way: the most of the map is only texture: also cities and towns.
He placed objects only in few points, but he didn't populate the whole map to avoid instabilities.

At ground level or flying at very low altitude, the visual effect is like if a city is "painted on the floor". But if you are flying over 3000 m or higher, you will see the city with a realistic appearence. [Maskirovka...!!]

A mission designer only would need to place the relevant objects using the FMB, according to his mission script. For buildings, the mission designer only need to choose any which fits the "coloured shadow" of the ground texture among those of the Objects list.

As I told in my first post, La-Chute may be played smoothly with the highest graphic settings. I used many planes at the same time, and several of them were activated by triggers...
Old 09-15-2015, 11:09 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marabekm View Post

They map builder spend a lot of time designing, building and testing the large maps. Like the Solomons and New Guinea/ New Britian map. But when it comes to playing coops or dogfights, most if not all players want to only fly about 5 minutes before the action starts. There are very few of us that actually enjoy the flying part. Most just want to hop in and start shooting.

So on the larger maps that results in about a 20-30 km square area that is used while the map makers spent all this time on the other areas that will never gut used.
Dolphin
You are right.

But, as I told in my first post, that map is focused to heavy bombers missions to be played off-line, not dogfights.

Of course, it also may be played on-line... but I agreed with you it is too big for that purpose.

However, there are many players who never play on-line and they find other ways to enjoy this sim: just like me.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:23 PM
Approved Member

Woah, Francis.
Speak for yourself. I don't recall voting you in as the defacto expert on "how we all like to fly" this sim!?

Heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marabekm View Post

Dolphin
Old 09-15-2015, 07:14 PM
Approved Member

Many thanks to topicstarter for this hint.
I just downloaded CUP and has found West.Eur La Chute in map's list.
From Hull to Prague - plenty of space, indeed.

My personal wish is full Black Sea map. Including Azov, Romania with Constanza and Ploesti. And including Bosporus - for alternative history scenarios as post or pre WWII conflicts around Turkish Straits.