Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 04-20-2016, 07:39 PM
Approved Member

Pursuivant: DT has/did have RRR code. And then some.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:07 PM
Approved Member

Hey!
I'm really happy to see that Zuti is still alive.

Hope all is fine for you sir.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:10 PM
Approved Member

I loved the moving front lines, and the RRR on that scenery.

I have built a whole dinamic scenery where front lines moved while your troops attacked enemy positions, but it was staged in a way that they will only succedd on the attack if they got good air support.

RRR becomes handy at that point to stimulate pilots return to base unharmed.
I runned it on coop mode, so that whoever becomes dead, was definitely dead.
Whoever bailed out, was also out.

I was a bit on the mad side at that time, with missions with more than 3000 objects, and around 100 chiefs.
Also with modified trains, and ground convoys.
Having the possibility to mess with the chief.ini was incredible, but it also allowed cheating.
I never run this on a public server because of that.
Having the option to kill a ship with one single low caliber bullet was a huge error. I believe it was corrected on the last version, but I decided to wait for the last release off Zuti's RRR because I become pissed off with having to change everything again after any new patch.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:46 AM
Approved Member

Assuming RRR is a real possibility, here's a bit of data which has changed my mind about the speed at which some major repairs can be performed:

Code:
"It is necessary to include a comment on that already offered concerning the accessibility of the engine for maintenance service.
I will give it to you point blank and let you estimate its value. The engine of the Messerschmitt [i.e., Bf-109D] can be removed, replaced with another - ready to go - inside of 12 minutes.

You can imagine the uproar of doubt and incredulity in official circles when I returned to the States and spread that word around.
The reason for the uproar was quite obvious, in that in very many instances, between 24 and 36 hours were required to remove one engine and replace it with another in many of our standard types of fighting planes.
But, when other Americans returned home from an inspection of the German Air Force and told the same story, great impetus was given to the development of a quick motor replacement in service ships.

The Germans had developed the technique and trained the ground crews to effect this change of engines in the specified length of time on the open airdrome - given, of course, decent weather conditions.

It was explained to me that, from a tactical standpoint, this ultra-rapid change of motors was of utmost importance.
For instance, a pilot returning from an active front to his own airdrome could radio ahead and notify the field force that he needed a new engine. By the time he landed, they could be ready for him.

Ordinary service to an aircraft, such as filling the gasoline tank, checking and replenishing the oil supply, and reloading ammunition belts, requires between ten and fifteen minutes.
The new development, therefore, enables the Germans to change an engine while the rest of the service is going on. It's startling performance - namely, yanking one engine and replacing it with another, and turning it over to the pilot inside of 12 minutes."

- US Marine Corps major Al Williams. Source: Bf 109D test flight, 1938.
http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/articles/109myths/

Assuming that the 12 minute engine-change time isn't just Nazi propaganda, that means that some major repairs could be completed far more quickly than I thought. Of course, even assuming 12 minute time is real, it requires that everything is set up for the engine change in advance, perfect weather, and an elite ground crew working as fast as a modern race car's pit crew.

But, prior to WW2, the Germans did develop quick engine change procedures for their aircraft which allowed them to make engine swaps on Ju-90 airliners in about 30 minutes!

Perhaps sitting around in your virtual airplane for half an hour while your engine gets replaced is a bit much for most IL2 players, but it's still an incredibly fast turnaround time for a major repair.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:28 PM
Approved Member

Interesting. As I remember, fast repair and replacement procedures were very well implemented in German tank troops as well.