Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 01-23-2012, 02:52 AM
Approved Member

It may be worth mentioning that sudden reductions in power could cause shock-cooling, and cracks in the cylinders.

Also, one could destroy his engine in a heartbeat if RPMs were set too low while manifold was too high. For this reason some planes had a stopper to prevent the throttle from moving past the RPM lever.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTE_Galway View Post
However I do not think over-cooling is modeled in game.
Some many versions of il2 ago I dimly remember reading that restarting the engine could be impossible if the engine was undercooled, but if it was implemented as probability or otherwise I dont remember (and never really tested it).

Is it even possible to start a seized/damaged engine in game if it went out ?
Was it historically possible that a engine gave out and could be restarted ? (Or turn of because of fire, then on again)
In case of fire we have the "ethernal flame" modelling , after dropping speed it will burn 100% again even if turned off, so no point in turning it off and not going 100% power to get to safety and bail out
Old 01-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Approved Member

It should not be possible for the engine, or rather the prop, to stop as it does ingame unless something prevents the crankshaft from turning. The prop should windmill, possibly not losing any revs either. If you still had fuel and a spark then the engine should restart if the mixture was near enough correct. Shame overcooling's not modelled, gets my vote TD if to add it. Someone will though have to make some training or info missions, for the benefit of anyone who doesn't know or understand what's going on, i.e. some poor soul who is new to IL2.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Approved Member

In twin engine aircraft its impossible to have to separate radiator settings, eg: left engide is damaged and is overheating, so, i select engine1, open full radiator( no mather if by axis or by keys) and right engine is runing ok, so i can let him with radiator closed, but as soon as i select both engines,(to throttle or prop pitch both, the radiator goes the same (in this case they open both, as was my last choice in the comand) It would be great 2 radiator axis, or one maner to keep them different if we want to. Thanks.