Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Approved Member

Default 100 Years of Soaring

While I'm sure that other people did it sooner, for some reason the record books claim Oct 24 1911 as the first official "Soaring Flight". To mark the 100'th anniversary several glider clubs got together in Kitty Hawk NC and put on a little air show. My boss Jayne was the tow pilot in one of our Pawnees, here's a video:

You might wanna turn the volume down, those electronic varios can be so annoying
Old 11-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Approved Member

Nice clip mate, it looks like a rather pleasant flight..... well it would be without that endless buzzing type sound haha.

As nice and pleasant as it looks though....

Its just basically falling out of the sky slowly haha. Would scare the living hell out of me!!
Old 11-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOZ_1983 View Post
Nice clip mate, it looks like a rather pleasant flight..... well it would be without that endless buzzing type sound haha.

Its just basically falling out of the sky slowly haha. Would scare the living hell out of me!!
You're correct, they didn't really do much "soaring" during this event, it was mostly just low altitude stuff to show off for the crowd. The real "sport" of soaring comes when you catch a good thermal and ride Mother Nature's elevator up, up, up and away! I freakin' love that

The buzzing noise you hear is the electronic variometer which is required during competition so the pilot can tell if he's in lift or sink without looking inside the cockpit. I personally hate the racket they make and rarely use them.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Approved Member

not something you consider so much when it comes to ww2 aviation.I found that there was a prototype armed german glider,the ka430.maybe put a gun in the nose for dogfighting
Old 11-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Registered Member

Old 12-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOZ_1983 View Post

[cut]

yes but veeeeery slowly and not scary at all once you're in the cockpit, try it!! Just don't fly too far from the airfield below certain quota
In my country ( but i think almost everywere, not sure about foreign laws ) sailplanes and gliders are the only type of aircraft allowed to land everywere outside the runaway, ( can specially happen during sailing events or contest where to win you have to fly a certain path etc etc ) and then, able to take off the day after.
If you land with a propeller plane outside the runaway the "fly insurance stuff" suddendly get void and the aircraft need certain test to be allowed to fly again.
Sailplanes have minimum sink rates of between 0.4 and 0.6 m/s depending on the class.... and if the air you sink in raise faster than your rate... you gain altitude... super fun!

Last edited by vdomini; 12-01-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:47 AM
Approved Member

I'm a sports writer in Hobbs, NM, and we've had a major soaring competition come to town each of the last two years. Very interesting stuff.

They launch from an old army air field that was used for B-17 training during and shortly after WWII.