Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:50 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOZ_1983 View Post
It requires alot of team work, with out team work then your team will crumble and lose, as well as abuse ach other haha. Isn't that right pope? hahaha
I'm always amazed at your group of friends Foz, they act like they hate each other and hate every game they play. I really don't like Max's attitude.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 11-04-2011, 06:24 AM
Approved Member

You get used to it, that's why we all just kept laughing, because he gets really annoyed and it's comical listening to the excuses haha.

Always somebody else to blame for him Not being able to shoot straight hahaha.

On a lighter note....

That's f18 of mine was causing you some problems
Old 11-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Approved Member

Arrrghhh. Thats what I hate about unlocks that give you abilities over newer players. Its a right pain to not only be new at the game, not knowing any of the maps but to be totaly out gunned by longer time players aswell. I mean who in real life would take a Warplane into combat armed only with a cannon, no radar and no defensive counter measures and take it up against a fully armed highly effective enemy? He'd get shot down in seconds, and thats exactly what happens to me.

Thats what i like about BoP's unlocks, they were difficult but fair. A Hurricane can still win even against the most difficult to unlock plane.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic Pope View Post
Arrrghhh. Thats what I hate about unlocks that give you abilities over newer players. Its a right pain to not only be new at the game, not knowing any of the maps but to be totaly out gunned by longer time players aswell. I mean who in real life would take a Warplane into combat armed only with a cannon, no radar and no defensive counter measures and take it up against a fully armed highly effective enemy? He'd get shot down in seconds, and thats exactly what happens to me.

Thats what i like about BoP's unlocks, they were difficult but fair. A Hurricane can still win even against the most difficult to unlock plane.
Hopefully private matches will be patched in to help boost unlockables.

StiC
Old 11-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the responses everyone. It sounds like the flight controls are sorta goofy, but at least you do get rudder, aileron and elevator yes? Do they work with legit flight physics (like, gravity? LoL) or is it a simple point and shoot like 99% of the other games out there? I been thinking about maybe renting this one but then I heard that you only get to fly in the online multi player, and that’s not even available from rentals I’ll probably pass this one up completely LoL

Still patiently waiting for Birds of Steel.....
Old 11-05-2011, 01:57 AM
Approved Member

the last thing i want to do is fly in bf3.I played bf3 and a dogfight broke out is like saying I was playing Il2 and a firefight broke out.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane View Post
the last thing i want to do is fly in bf3.I played bf3 and a dogfight broke out is like saying I was playing Il2 and a firefight broke out.
Thats a bad example isn't it? You spend most of your time in Birds of Prey on the ground with the firefighters desparatly trying to put out your flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynlion View Post
Still patiently waiting for Birds of Steel.....
+1

Last edited by Robotic Pope; 11-05-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Approved Member

I have to admit I do enjoy flying in this game. 99.9% of the dogfights involve use of the cannons only as the heat seekers just get countered by flares. The flight psychics work well enough though. Go to slow and you will stall and fall out of the sky. I'm enjoying it. It works particularly well with a friend in your team using the laser designator to mark targets for you. All in all I'm loving it. Feel at home in the air or on the ground. I do think anyone who has the slightest bit of interest of knowledge of aerial combat will prevail though. Half the people playing just fly around as fast as the can. Easy kills though I guess so I shouldnt complain.

This is mainly a fps though not a dogfighting game do we should really take that into consideration. A great game all round though. Especially when pope is on the other team and your trying to sneak around so you can get his dog tag haha.

But like the rest of you, I patiently wait for BoS and the chance to once again roam the skies in the hurricane or the mossie
Old 11-06-2011, 01:09 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOZ_1983 View Post
I have to admit I do enjoy flying in this game. 99.9% of the dogfights involve use of the cannons only as the heat seekers just get countered by flares. The flight psychics work well enough though. Go to slow and you will stall and fall out of the sky. I'm enjoying it. It works particularly well with a friend in your team using the laser designator to mark targets for you. All in all I'm loving it. Feel at home in the air or on the ground. I do think anyone who has the slightest bit of interest of knowledge of aerial combat will prevail though. Half the people playing just fly around as fast as the can. Easy kills though I guess so I shouldnt complain.

This is mainly a fps though not a dogfighting game do we should really take that into consideration. A great game all round though. Especially when pope is on the other team and your trying to sneak around so you can get his dog tag haha.

But like the rest of you, I patiently wait for BoS and the chance to once again roam the skies in the hurricane or the mossie
You knifed me?? When?

laser designtor? is that yet another unlock or are you talking about the back button marking? The multiplayer really is backwards when you think about it. I mean in singleplayer you expect the game to get harder as you progress through and better your skill. These multiplayer unlocks are the oposite. New people in jets have nothing but a gun and nothing marking any enemys or anything. Where as people who played the game from the launch (like you foz) who had an easier time with less high ranked people trying to kill them when they were new. now have a much lower difficulty in killing people thanks to all the unlocks.

Last edited by Robotic Pope; 11-06-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Approved Member

I have more than 150 jet kills and consider myself pretty good, though I've seen some people with well over 400 kills already.

I use the cannon almost exclusively. Air-to-air missiles have become mostly useless against other jets as more people have unlocked flares. I do well enough with the cannon anyway.

I only use air-to-air for helicopters. A hovering chopper is much tougher to take down with the cannon, though it's possible. The air-to-ground missiles are almost useless and cause little damage. Rocket pods are about the same, but can be semi-useful on ground strafing runs. The A-10 and the Su-25 have good cannons for ground strafes but the F/A-18 and Su-35 seem weaker.

The physics are ok considering what the game is. I still prefer Birds of Prey and can't wait for Birds of Steel, but it's fun to show off my flying skills with my friends that don't play flight games. They keep asking how I'm so good (especially when I'm on the other team) and I tell them I have plenty of practice in real flight sims. Same with the choppers, which handle closer to Apache: Air Assault than Bad Company 2.

Flying is getting to be a bit of nuisance though because more and more engineers are carrying stinger anti-air missiles. Plus the attack choppers have amazing anti-air capabilities and range. That's not to mention how most jet pilots jump out before the jet goes boom after you shoot it down. They jump out and you don't get credit for a kill. Very annoying.

I'm working on the air warfare medal, which takes 30 air warfare ribbons. Each ribbon takes six air kills in round, which is very difficult when jet pilots keep jumping out. I'm relying on chopper kills to get me there. It's easier with choppers, though you still have to worry about stingers, the other choppers, jets with cannons that literally knock your chopper on its side, and the indestructible anti-air cannons in every base.

I've been flying less since getting the first service star with the jet and the fun is hit or miss on the ground. The game is still fairly buggy and there's a lot of things I'd like to see changed. Some of my friends are threatening to quit playing, which will be disappointing since I think the fun outweighs the annoyances.

Last edited by CrashLanding; 11-12-2011 at 09:32 AM.