Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Approved Member

Default Tell us why BoP is WAAAY better than Battlefield 3

Sure it looks great, but I been wondering what the flight physics are like in the air combat parts of Battlefield 3? Is it just another shooter with wings, or do you realy get to fly the thing? I'm asking the question here because you guys know what a real flight game is, I already know what the Battlefield fanboys think

Last edited by flynlion; 10-27-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynlion View Post
Sure it looks great, but I been wondering what the flight physics are like in the air combat parts of Battlefield 3? Is it just another shooter with wings, or do you realy get to fly the thing?
From what ive heard the jets are more realistic than Ace Combat AH anyway.
Also ive read some forum posts on the internet where people claiming to be master helicopter pilots on Bad company 2 are conplaining how difficult and different the helicopter flies in Battlefield 3. This is because BC2's helicopters were like flying a hot air ballon, BF3's helicopters are more realistic and closer to the control in Apache air assault. I'm looking forward to seeing newbs crashing all over the place lol.

Still for a real flying expierence nothing on console is going to come close to gaijin's games.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 10-31-2011, 10:26 PM
Approved Member

BoP for flying is better than Battlefield 3. The jets are ok, but don't expect a full fledged flying simulator type experience like BoP.

I prefer the helicopters to the jets at this point. Heli's are hard to fly at first and i've found that changing the controller layout options for the heli's to 'Legacy' settings (instead of the default) helped a whole heckava lot. To the point of not being able to fly them to being pretty decent at flying them.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Approved Member

I feel like they deliberately gimped the controls for jets in BF3. Even with the options to reassign the controller, nothing feels comfortable to fly. Maybe they did it to keep people from getting too good with them. Ive played all of the current console flying games and BF3 doesnt offer similar controls to any of them.

Also, even on the bigger maps in BF3, I feel constrained. The space they give is impressive if you are on foot or a ground vehicle, but in a jet it feels like you are caged up. Not enough room to attack and extend.

All that being said, I freakin love playing (and flying) in BF3. Its just not a flying game per say.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Approved Member

Loving the game so far!!

Just about to unlock the Air to Ground laser guided missile for the jet then those pesky tanks can watch out!!

The jets are fairly easy to fly to be honest, great fun though and the gatling gun if on target can do lots of damage.

The helicopters are the hard ones to fly. They do take a little skill,but they are devestating when used correctly.

Have to watch out for pope sneakily joining your games though and trying to kill you in a tank....
Old 11-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOZ_1983 View Post
Loving the game so far!!

Just about to unlock the Air to Ground laser guided missile for the jet then those pesky tanks can watch out!!

The jets are fairly easy to fly to be honest, great fun though and the gatling gun if on target can do lots of damage.

The helicopters are the hard ones to fly. They do take a little skill,but they are devestating when used correctly.

Have to watch out for pope sneakily joining your games though and trying to kill you in a tank....
Haha like you've never done that. Anyway it was wolfbane driving not me. I'm lost at the moment in BF3. I join your game and everyone is like a 30 rank already (i'm still not up to 30 on Bad company 2 after a whole year of playing)and there is me on 2 rank with the basic starting kit getting blinded by fricking torches and lasers non stop. And my character keeps creeping along when i want him to stay still because the non existent dead zone they have implemented goesn't suit my 5 year old controler with sloppy sticks from hard IL-2 flying . I'll get the hang of it no doubt and they will fix those blinding daylight torches and other bugs, might have to buy a new controler though .

I do love the new helicopter control , once I set the sticks up as southpaw its almost exactly the same as Apache air assault just a bit easier and infinatly better than Bad company 2's anti-gravity ufos.
I just wish I could get to fly them in a multiplayer game as there is always some berk that can't fly for toffee snapping them up every time.

Last edited by Robotic Pope; 11-02-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic Pope View Post
I just wish I could get to fly them in a multiplayer game as there is always some berk that can't fly for toffee snapping them up every time.
Hey Pope, try joining a server that doesn't have a lot of players in it to get a chance at flying. There's hundreds (thousands?) of servers usually available and you'll find as you scroll down the list you can find some halfway empty ones.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo Rich 360 View Post
Hey Pope, try joining a server that doesn't have a lot of players in it to get a chance at flying. There's hundreds (thousands?) of servers usually available and you'll find as you scroll down the list you can find some halfway empty ones.
Thanks. I never would have thought to do this. I really need to get more time in for the upgrades.

I use the alternate button layout with the default sticks. I've never been able to pitch/roll with my left thumb, it just feels unnatural. I prefer the choppers over the jets and the new chopper controls feel much better than Bad Company 2.

StiC
Old 11-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Approved Member

Thanks Rich, thats a great tip. I will try that.

I have noticed one really stupid control design flaw and oversight which does rather hamper my performance. Who was the nutbar that decided to put the freelook on the pitch and roll stick without any way to redesignate it. Even more dumb, if you use southpaw stick setting (aka Ace Combat, Birds of Prey, and pretty much every other flying game's default stick layout, so thats a large amount of people) you need two left thumbs!! one to press the d-pad down to shift the left stick to freelook and another to use the left stick.

So not only can you not look around while maneuvering (a key flying skill), but If you want to look around at all you have to contort your left hand or take your right hand off the right side of the pad and use your right thumb to press the d pad.

It pretty much makes the freelook useless. LOL and we thought BoP's press in stick shift to freelook was bad. Compared to BF3, BoP's freelook is a god send.

Last edited by Robotic Pope; 11-12-2011 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Approved Member

It requires alot of team work, with out team work then your team will crumble and lose, as well as abuse ach other haha. Isn't that right pope? hahaha